You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid (N) - Champions League Final, Sat 28th May 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

1 minute ago, Rushies tash said:

Throughout the build up to their goal, we had numerous chances to bring them down  but didn't. There was an incident in the first half too, when Mané was caught in the area, but stayed on his feet. Nailed on penalty if he'd gone down. We are far too nice. Naively so.

Agreed. We need to have the snidey side to win finals. I don't think its in Klopp's nature. Probably why he has lost so many finals.

4 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Throughout the build up to their goal, we had numerous chances to bring them down  but didn't. There was an incident in the first half too, when Mané was caught in the area, but stayed on his feet. Nailed on penalty if he'd gone down. We are far too nice. Naively so.

We don't do any of that under Klopp.  Never have and never will.

Klopp's to honest.

Other than Matip for Konate I agreed with the starting XI, and that specific one was probably the right choice, so I can't blame Klopp for the team he picked. 

But with 100% hindsight I think we should have gone with a different starting line up. We tried to go as strong as possible from the beginning and Madrid just needed to have a strong defence. After a certain point our starters were tiring so we were increasingly unlikely to create anything and our subs were worse than the players we started with.

We started at 11, instead of starting at 10 and giving ourselves the chance to increase the intensity and turn it up to 11 later on by bringing on somebody like Diaz to run at them.

Like I said hindsight, there's every chance we lose this anyway after starting Jota and I end up critical of the fact we didn't start Diaz or whoever from the beginning. 

Shite this, we should have had them. 

• Upvote 1

These are the type of games Firmino is built for. Can't believe we waited that long to bring him on. While Mane has been doing a great job as his deputy, it needs to be Bobby in the middle in the top games. He's the only one bringing the sort of fluency to our attack that Salah and the other winger needs. Far too much is left to the inverted forwards winning their 1v1 battle. Neither Jota nor Mane have sufficiently good touch and technique to bring the ball quickly to feet. 

All that being said, Immensely proud of the boys and the manager for the fantastic season they've given us.

Wishlist: A midfielder able to take on and go past his opponent in midfield,  preferably being able to shoot as well. Big year for Harvey and Curtis. 

• Upvote 3

As great as it's been, I won't wish us fighting on all four fronts again. It's left us exhausted as well as the team. I don't want to see a football again for a few months.

I just hope FSG really listen this time and act. This squad has been great but not quite good enough. It needs adding to rather than just kept ticking over. 

Just now, gkmacca said:

As great as it's been, I won't wish us fighting on all four fronts again. It's left us exhausted as well as the team. I don't want to see a football again for a few months.

I just hope FSG really listen this time and act. This squad has been great but not quite good enough. It needs adding to rather than just kept ticking over. 

Exactly. They have been making lots of money but now it is crossroads for them. If they don't spend big this summer to refresh the squad we will be standing still or get worse.

Courtois wasn’t that good. Everything was served up on a plate for him tonight. Commentary has improved him to levels he doesn’t deserve. We were shite tonight up front and wouldn’t have scored if we’d have played all night. 

I wouldn’t have started Diaz tonight as although he’s a great player, he doesn’t score or create enough over 90 mins. 20 mins to go and him coming on gives everyone a lift. Our subs tonight were a shrug of the shoulders. I got slaughtered after the Tottenham game for going beserk when he brought kieta on with 5 to go and tonight he offered nothing that was gonna get us a goal.

No matter how much we love him,

Klopps kryptonite is winning the big games from adversity. Once they scored tonight that was game over.

• Upvote 1

We were predictable, we've seen exactly that performance, all those patterns of play over and over. Weve not beat any of the top four, they've the quality and the managers to deal with us. We played tonight like it was 2 legs it was rubbish. We call city bully boys but until we beat our rivals its all we are too. I'm that pissed I don't even know if I've already wrote this.

Just now, lebron said:

These are the type of games Firmino is built for. Can't believe we waited that long to bring him on. While Mane has been doing a great job as his deputy, it needs to be Bobby in the middle in the top games. He's the only one bringing the sort of fluency to our attack that Salah and the other winger needs. Far too much is left to the inverted forwards winning their 1v1 battle. Neither Jota nor Mane have sufficiently good touch and technique to bring the ball quickly to feet. 

Bobby at his best then yes, but he's very inconsistent lately, it might have been a gamble starting him in this not knowing which version of him we would be getting. 

Once we conceded though it was always going to be difficult and we didn't have that extra gear to go in to. 

We won 2 cups and were so close to the other 2. We're up against clubs with dirty money and we do it the right way with the best manager in the world who has just extended his contract. Proud of them, next year will be ours again.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Other than Matip for Konate I agreed with the starting XI, and that specific one was probably the right choice, so I can't blame Klopp for the team he picked. 

But with 100% hindsight I think we should have gone with a different starting line up. We tried to go as strong as possible from the beginning and Madrid just needed to have a strong defence. After a certain point our starters were tiring so we were increasingly unlikely to create anything and our subs were worse than the players we started with.

We started at 11, instead of starting at 10 and giving ourselves the chance to increase the intensity and turn it up to 11 later on by bringing on somebody like Diaz to run at them.

Like I said hindsight, there's every chance we lose this anyway after starting Jota and I end up critical of the fact we didn't start Diaz or whoever from the beginning. 

Shite this, we should have had them. 

I agree (in hindsight) that Diaz would have been a great impact sub at about 55 minutes. I was impressed with Bobby when he came on, and I think if he started, we’d have had at least as good intensity and ability up front.

4 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Courtois wasn’t that good. Everything was served up on a plate for him tonight. Commentary has improved him to levels he doesn’t deserve. We were shite tonight up front and wouldn’t have scored if we’d have played all night. 

I wouldn’t have started Diaz tonight as although he’s a great player, he doesn’t score or create enough over 90 mins. 20 mins to go and him coming on gives everyone a lift. Our subs tonight were a shrug of the shoulders. I got slaughtered after the Tottenham game for going beserk when he brought kieta on with 5 to go and tonight he offered nothing that was gonna get us a goal.

Klopps kryptonite is winning the big games from adversity. Once they scored tonight that was game over.

I think not starting Diaz is hindsight. I agree he wasn’t great today, couldn’t beat Carvajal like he has been to premier league defenders but I was fine with him in the starting lineup. It was never happening but Mo is the one that should’ve been dropped. He’s been tired since AFCON. I thought Jota on was a bad decision too but I see the reason. We need a goal and he poaches it just wasn’t the game for him. Bobby came on and improved our attack immensely 

2 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Madrid had one decent shot on target which went in. We had at least one shot that was world class - Mo’s curler to the far post on any other night was a goal. It was an outstanding save by the keeper. 

• Upvote 1

I feel like I should be more upset/angry/annoyed, but I feel like the whole mess in the build up just made the event seem shite and a loss inevitable.  I think losing the League still hurts more. I’m annoyed, but more so at the events pre-kickoff. 

Just happy the season is over now. 

• Upvote 2