You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benfica (A) - UCL Quarter Final 1st leg, Tue 5th Apr 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

2 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Piss poor 2nd half. Almost like we were not thinking about our passes. Sadly Keita looked lost. Having said all that , cant moan about the result. Wondering if they took those 4 boards that Shanks used to put the forwards in front of, to Kirkby? One on one practice work needed.

I thought Keita was one of our better players.

• Upvote 2

3-1, you'd have taken that before kick off. Dare say even 2-1.

Overall a good performance considering where we are in the season. Some slack moments by Mo, Thiago and Konate but it's churlish to whinge after a 3-1 away win.

Seems like Mo and Sadio were planned to come off with Sunday in mind rather than less than stellar performances. Fingers crossed Fabibho is ok and the concussion police dont get involved.

4 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Keita was mostly decent

Naa, he was the same as always.  Can't receive a pass in a tight space, has no awareness and doesn't do anything with the ball, don't cite the assist either as he had the entire middle of the park to himself and the pass wasn't even what he intended.  Busy enough though.

Just think he looked a bit better because everyone dropped down to his level.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fungus said:

Naa, he was the same as always.  Can't receive a pass in a tight space, has no awareness and doesn't do anything with the ball, don't cite the assist either as he had the entire middle of the park to himself and the pass wasn't even what he intended.  Busy enough though.

Just think he looked a bit better because everyone dropped down to his level.

I thought he was pretty good in the first half, poor misses aside.

Churlish it might be, but boy, do we seem to be doing things the hard way these days?

We’ve won 3-1 away yet, somehow, it still feels a bit disappointing?

Probably four goals better than these and it was a stroll in the first half, and even though they came more into it in the second half, it was our sloppiness that got them a goal back and our sloppiness that allowed them to stay in with a sniff until the end.

We’ll surely be more focussed on Sunday against City, and we’ll have to be to get the result we want I think.

Excellent first half followed by a quite poor second.

Their goal was a turning point, and they looked at least as likely to score as us the fifteen following minutes.

Then we managed to control the game again without really playing well, and scored a deserved third.

Diaz and Keita our two best players imo, I’d give mom to Keita for his pressing and the countless times he won the ball back. Also Trent played well, and Thiago was brilliant for spells. 

Winning deservedly 3-1 away in a CL qf, on a night we were wasteful, made a shocking mistake which gifted them a goal and our leading scorer and star player had an absolute stinker isn’t bad. What a team Klopp has built.

• Upvote 4

Naby did so much better on that 3rd than I'd previously thought. he won it back far deeper than I'd seen, and then a great run, a great weighted pass, and finished off beautifully by Mr No End Product* himself.

*Alternative opinion, not mine.

Not sure what it is about our team but we can be completely dominant and race into a 2-0 lead, and look capable of running up a cricket score if we feel like it, but then we do something sloppy or the opposition does something in the final third to fashion a half-chance, and all of a sudden we look sloppy throughout the team - the defenders get undone, the midfielders look overrun and the forwards cannot keep hold of the ball. It's happened a few times this season.

I'll take 3-1 lead, but Benfica gave it a good go in the second half.

What the fuck was up with Mo tonight? His first touch was so bad he couldn't trap a bag of cement. Is he going through one those brief spells he has every season where nothing is coming off? Has he been run into the ground in recent months, practically playing every minute for us, and playing absolutely every minute for Egypt as they bore their way to extra time and penalty shoot-outs in every game? Is the unsigned new contract weighing heavily?

• Upvote 2