You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome to Liverpool Luis Diaz

Bjornebye

It was the performance of a player you often see at a mid table club. They worked hard, had some impressive dribbles, missed a few absolute sitters, and you realised that they score about five league goals a season and that was why they played for a mid table club.

He's basically the opposite of Jota. Jota is the ultimate efficient footballer. Very little flashy stuff, just intelligent, right place right time, sticking the ball in the back of the net.

53 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

It was the performance of a player you often see at a mid table club. They worked hard, had some impressive dribbles, missed a few absolute sitters, and you realised that they score about five league goals a season and that was why they played for a mid table club.

He's basically the opposite of Jota. Jota is the ultimate efficient footballer. Very little flashy stuff, just intelligent, right place right time, sticking the ball in the back of the net.

The goal Jota scored against Chelsea was a perfect example.

Ran straight through the middle, hits him in the face and he responds immediately by leathering it in.

I love him.

17 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Ran straight through the middle, hits him in the face and he responds immediately by leathering it in.

I love him.

I'd play 4-3-1-2 with Salah off Jota and Nunez next season. Salah has lost half a yard of pace but his vision and passing has gone up a level. Have him as a ten with the two other lads terrorising the centrebacks. 

52 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I'd play 4-3-1-2 with Salah off Jota and Nunez next season. Salah has lost half a yard of pace but his vision and passing has gone up a level. Have him as a ten with the two other lads terrorising the centrebacks. 

He’s certainly lost a yard, but Mo still scares defenders to death backing them up coming in from the wing.

That said, it must be 3/4 years, since he actually stepped inside and curled one into the top corner?

6 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

He’s certainly lost a yard, but Mo still scares defenders to death backing them up coming in from the wing.

That said, it must be 3/4 years, since he actually stepped inside and curled one into the top corner?

I've just done that this morning.  Thank goodness for Toilet Duck.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

I've just done that this morning.  Thank goodness for Toilet Duck.

Usually pick my words a bit more carefully to stop responses like this, so have to tip my hat to you for catching me out.

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

When he missed that chance I immediately thought of Wilf Zaha. Pacy, direct, skilful and you can't fault them for effort. Certainly not a bad player. But he took that chance with the same kind of uncertainty - the uncertainty of a player who scores 5-10 goals a season.

I think he's generally better than that but his lack of goals has always given me some cause for concern. Next season will be make or break for him.

20 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Tough crowd. He should have scored but Nunez and Salah have missed 10 each worse than that this season.

For me, it’s not the big chance.

It’s his game intelligence and decision making in the final third.

He’s explosive, fast, tricky, but when do you see him link up with Robbo on the overlap?

If Salah doesn’t use his vision to pick him out, how often are him, Nunez and Gapko/Jota playing any one touch passes?

Two years in you’d think he’d have some understanding with the other attacking players, but it’s them putting him in, or him running into spaces that they’re trying to make for him.

I’m probably too harsh on him, because I see him with the ball and shout “don’t do that, do this”, and he’ll consistently chose the wrong run or play the wrong ball.

He always gives everything for the team, but I don’t think he is a better player than the one who arrived and exploded onto the scene in January 2022.

Despite playing on the left he really doesn't fancy his left foot. Ortega was stuck to the spot for the 1 on 1  and Walker was to the right of him. Could have easily rounded the goalie in that situation. Thought he was excellent, just lacked that killer instinct yesterday. 

I was a bit gutted after the game, almost like it was a loss with the clear chances we missed. The chances Diaz had stick in mind the most but I still think if we have a more experienced Gakpo, Diaz, Nunez and Jota to choose from in future it could work out well. It wasn't long ago that Nunez was getting a lot of stick too so I prefer being patient and seeing how it goes.

If we don't win the league it seems worse with it being Klopp's last season but I wasn't expecting it to be a realistic thing anyway and was thinking with forwards it was more about working further towards the transition from Mane, Bobby and Mo to other players and with getting back into the CL as our main aim.

If we didn't have the injuries maybe things would've been a lot better now but to even be in this position seems good with the players we've been without at different stages.

4 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Alonso is playing a 3-4-2-1 at Leverkusen 

It'd suite Mo well imo. He'd be playing as a 10 in behind Nunez/Jota. More infield and closer to goal. He's got a great eye for a pass as we've seen. Could see him and Dom/Mac Allister/Harvey doing great. 

I said at the start of the game yesterday that Diaz is so fucking wasteful & he did absolutely nothing to change my view.

Not my favourite player at the moment.

2 hours ago, Mook said:

I said at the start of the game yesterday that Diaz is so fucking wasteful & he did absolutely nothing to change my view.

Not my favourite player at the moment.

He gave it away which lead to Doku hitting the post 

I’ve never been a big fan and always felt that he’s a better player off the bench than a starter but can’t deny the lads worked his arse off for us the last few weeks.

If Nunez could learn how to stay onside he finishes off a brilliant move there yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Reports coming out of Colombia that Barcelona have enquired about him to his agent, who has advised them we would demand a transfer fee of between €120m and €140m.

We have made it clear if anyone comes in with a decent fee he’ll be gone I think 

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

Reports coming out of Colombia that Barcelona have enquired about him to his agent, who has advised them we would demand a transfer fee of between €120m and €140m.

Wow.

I’d take £60m.

17 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

To be fair, Diaz is not meant to be like Jota. He is supposed to be our version of Vinicius Junior; a bit more of a traditional winger that is supposed to run people ragged. 

I have never been in love with him after his first fantastic half season, but sometimes I think that if you are looking for that type of profile, that player is simply not going to score as much as you would like him to. Doku and Martinelli are similar as well. 

1 hour ago, Dapower said:

We have made it clear if anyone comes in with a decent fee he’ll be gone I think 

They cant afford him unless the sell a load of the kids for big money. They still have little money and la liga are still telling them how much they can spend

35 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

To be fair, Diaz is not meant to be like Jota. He is supposed to be our version of Vinicius Junior; a bit more of a traditional winger that is supposed to run people ragged. 

I have never been in love with him after his first fantastic half season, but sometimes I think that if you are looking for that type of profile, that player is simply not going to score as much as you would like him to. Doku and Martinelli are similar as well. 

Fair point.

My - I suppose - “problem” is I always think “well what Mane have done, there”

17 hours ago, Kevin D said:

freestar

I love him.

I love Jota, but there has to be a question about how many serious injuries he can sustain before the damage becomes too great and his level suffers as a result.

I sincerely hope we don't reach that point, but it does worry me.

15 hours ago, Kevin D said:

For me, it’s not the big chance.

It’s his game intelligence and decision making in the final third.

He’s explosive, fast, tricky, but when do you see him link up with Robbo on the overlap?

If Salah doesn’t use his vision to pick him out, how often are him, Nunez and Gapko/Jota playing any one touch passes?

Two years in you’d think he’d have some understanding with the other attacking players, but it’s them putting him in, or him running into spaces that they’re trying to make for him.

I’m probably too harsh on him, because I see him with the ball and shout “don’t do that, do this”, and he’ll consistently chose the wrong run or play the wrong ball.

He always gives everything for the team, but I don’t think he is a better player than the one who arrived and exploded onto the scene in January 2022.

Yeah I probably agree with that.
He is pretty bad at playing other people in (particularly Darwin) and 98% of the time looks to cut in onto his right foot rather than going where the space is.

I think the balance in attack is probably ok though, as Mo has become more of a creator and luckily it turns out Darwin is an assist machine. 

I would have Jota Nunez Salah as our front three if everyone was fit, with Diaz first off the bench. I reckon Klopp would as well.

49 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah I probably agree with that.
He is pretty bad at playing other people in (particularly Darwin) and 98% of the time looks to cut in onto his right foot rather than going where the space is.

I think the balance in attack is probably ok though, as Mo has become more of a creator and luckily it turns out Darwin is an assist machine. 

I would have Jota Nunez Salah as our front three if everyone was fit, with Diaz first off the bench. I reckon Klopp would as well.

Told you this once before, but please stop reading my posts and changing your mind.

This isn’t Rawk and it makes me feel really uneasy, we’re not here for any of that pish.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

I love Jota, but there has to be a question about how many serious injuries he can sustain before the damage becomes too great and his level suffers as a result.

I sincerely hope we don't reach that point, but it does worry me.

Don’t think we’re there yet.

The injuries he’s sustained have been because some boy nailed him.

You can’t legislate for that Bournemouth tackle or when the Mijtland lad hit him, contact tackles.