You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

The point is, they may be building the capacities which are not likely to be used, whilst elsewhere they are desperately needed yesterday.

But 'yesterday' before the invasion, Ukraine had the capacity to expand its artillery but evidently haven't considering the cunt neighbours they have.

2 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

But 'yesterday' before the invasion, Ukraine had the capacity to expand its artillery but evidently haven't considering the cunt neighbours they have.

True, but we are mostly talking about countries like Belgium and other western countries quickly rearming themselves, and perceived threat is Russia, not Netherlands or Luxembourg. And that threat has already been engaged. So why not focus on that, to a great extent at least.

3 minutes ago, No2 said:

Did they ever get those Nazi's? I see the royal navy has one, do we know how many are needed for Vlad to do some cleaning up for the greater good?

They did, they even sent some back because they have enough of their own.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Are you sure, or do you just think you know what they want?

I pasted an article in the american politics thread and I'm fine with talking about them in there instead of here, which would probably derail at least a bit.

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

True, but we are mostly talking about countries like Belgium and other western countries quickly rearming themselves, and perceived threat is Russia, not Netherlands or Luxembourg. And that threat has already been engaged. So why not focus on that, to a great extent at least.

I would think that most of Europe expanding its weaponry is purely pointless. Can't see madimir putin mobilising to conquer Europe, if anything it would be nuclear by that point.

There are reportedly 9 HIMARS units active in Ukraine now, apparently 5 track-based 270 from UK / Norway are now operational. Which may explain all the deep behind the enemy lines target being hit constantly over the past couple of weeks.

By my calculations, 7 more are due in a couple of days, 4 from the US and 3 German, if it is true the 5 are from the UK/Norway contingent.  

On 02/07/2022 at 11:07, SasaS said:

And now there are casualties of Twitter wars.

CUV account has been deleted.

In the other camp, the (in) famous Zoka, Serbian account which was followed by all the analysts for exclusive Russian videos, deleted his account after I guess, he has had it with the way Russians are waging this war (Snake Island may have been the last straw).

I know this won't mean anything to most people, but it was all quite an entertaining social media drama for those that regularly search for what is going on in the war.  

Wars within wars.

In an absolute classic of the genre, Putin today announced that he was "very surprised" to see the official statistics that very few schools across the Russian Federation are connected to proper heating.

Only been in office for 23 years. I'm sure he'll get a handle on why there's such endemic poverty and turn it all around any day now. (And yes, it's all in Russian, so you'll have to take my word for it that's what he's saying.)

46 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

In an absolute classic of the genre, Putin today announced that he was "very surprised" to see the official statistics that very few schools across the Russian Federation are connected to proper heating.

Only been in office for 23 years. I'm sure he'll get a handle on why there's such endemic poverty and turn it all around any day now. (And yes, it's all in Russian, so you'll have to take my word for it that's what he's saying.)

Aren’t inside toilets the exception rather than the rule?

On a similar note, I remember being on a tourist bus into Bucharest (1993 I think). The guide pointed out a block of flats, built in a square. In the middle was this other small building.

Which was the bogs.

For everyone in the whole 'complex'.

On 08/07/2022 at 16:23, Rico1304 said:

Aren’t inside toilets the exception rather than the rule?

Depends, really. In Russia it's kind of like the reverse of the rule in the West - there the wealthy live in flats and the poor live in houses built on the land.

The flats there are only slightly different, in terms of quality and amenities, to those in the West (with the massive exception that the entryways are SHOCKINGLY run down). The standalone houses are about 50-50 in terms of indoor plumbing, at least where I lived. And all of them are heated by starting an actual coal fire in the furnace box, meaning when it gets down to -40 or lower you're getting up at some point during the night to stoke your fire just to avoid freezing.

• Upvote 1

Bump.

Can someone please explain to me this UK programme of training thousands of Ukrainian soldiers, which the media say, many of them with no previous military experience? What is the point of flying thousands of people all the way to Britain to show them the basics? This should be for upgrading already trained troops, turning good marksmen into efficient snipers, paras into special forces, experience infantry into elite infantry etc. Tactical training and retraining for noncoms.  Not "turning civilians into soldiers".

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/ukrainian-soldiers-train-uk-war-132924481.html

18 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Bump.

Can someone please explain to me this UK programme of training thousands of Ukrainian soldiers, which the media say, many of them with no previous military experience? What is the point of flying thousands of people all the way to Britain to show them the basics? This should be for upgrading already trained troops, turning good marksmen into efficient snipers, paras into special forces, experience infantry into elite infantry etc. Tactical training and retraining for noncoms.  Not "turning civilians into soldiers".

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/ukrainian-soldiers-train-uk-war-132924481.html

Is it because they are a bit busy at the moment?  

33 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Is it because they are a bit busy at the moment?  

They are constantly rotating and allegedly keep a substantial reserve. Anyway, they are already training SOF in Poland, and artillery and rocket artillery troops in their hundreds, you'd think they would be busy too. People keep saying Ukraine needs more trained high quality troops, not civilians with basic training in how to shoot an AK-47, administer first aid and do basic patrolling.