You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Album Ever - Group E (Vote for your top 2)

Bjornebye

Greatest Album Ever - Group E (Vote for your top 2)  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Album Ever - Group E (Vote for your top 2)

• Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
    • Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
    • Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    • Dr Dre - The Chronic

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/02/21 at 20:00

8 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Depends on my mood.

My favourite is, and always will be, ‘Small Change’ time and place type shit. But if I put on either of the first two albums I’m gonna be in complete awe before going on the best night out ever because the words resonate so much...

You go from this...

To this...

To this...

In the space of twenty minutes or so, these songs hold their own against anything, ever.

And then the second album starts with...

And he’s not even breaking sweat yet.

Two great albums there, I first got into him in 1980 when I heard Heart attack and Vine, it was different to everything, then listened to earlier stuff obviously and later and there's still loads I haven't heard from over the years. 

Step Right Up. 

9 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Of all the Hip/Hop rap albums going All Eyez On Me by Tupac didn't get a single vote, neither did the Score by the Fugees and quite frankly I'm shocked at myself. 

The best of the Hip-Hop/Rap albums that I nominated didn't make the cut for the final.

Ready to Die by Biggy is my all time favourite rap album, and I'd take that above everything made by Tupac, who I do happen to really like too. I rate the 2 other albums I nominated much higher than AEOM too. Illmatic is an outstanding album, and The Chronic is Dre at his best, for me anyway.

There's a few other albums I'd have above AEOM too, 36 Chambers, Straight Outta Compton, It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back and 3 Feet High and Rising, to name but a few.

I don't mind the Fugees and The Score is a good album, but it's not on the same planet as Ready to Die.

10 hours ago, Juniper said:

Dark Side of The Moon is just an unreal album from start to finish 

..other than ‘On The Run’

It's easily a contender for winner of the tournament, a bona fide masterpiece.

On The Run isn't a great song (or even a song!) and you probably wouldn't listen to it as a standalone track, but I think it works as part of the experience of the concept album. And it's an album you have to listen to the whole way through to get the full impact.

Personally don't think that they ever came close to anything this good again. For me, Dark Side...  overshadows everything else they've done, nothing else reached those heights of creativity (but was also reigned in and didn't need endless guitar solos) in my opinion. But that's not a criticism - just shows how good the album is.

Tom and Bruce.

Never listened to Rain Dogs before.  Fuck me, that's good! Like Brecht and Leonard Cohen, stoned as fuck in 1900s New York.  So many influences! Wonderful stuff.

In contrast, Dark Side is mostly wank; tedious attempts at something cerebral, leaving everything below the waist utterly unmoved.

I didn't get that far with Dr Dre.  The more he twatted on and on about willycoptering his gun around, the more I saw that Ricky Gervais "you're hard" gif. Not for me, Clive.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Tom and Bruce.

Never listened to Rain Dogs before.  Fuck me, that's good! Like Brecht and Leonard Cohen, stoned as fuck in 1900s New York.  So many influences! Wonderful stuff.

In contrast, Dark Side is mostly wank; tedious attempts at something cerebral, leaving everything below the waist utterly unmoved.

I didn't get that far with Dr Dre.  The more he twatted on and on about willycoptering his gun around, the more I saw that Ricky Gervais "you're hard" gif. Not for me, Clive.

I like some of Dre's music but you're right about the shite he spouts. Boring as fuck and pretty much means I can't listen to him anym9re.

4 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

I like some of Dre's music but you're right about the shite he spouts. Boring as fuck and pretty much means I can't listen to him anym9re.

Yeah but he's still puffing his leafs, still fucks with the beats, still not loving police, still rocks his khakis with a cuff and a crease. 

• Upvote 1