You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

Every time I see this thread I fear the worst.

Hardly a surprise he is off. 

A great player, who showed it in moments for us, but unfortunately not enough.

He has worked under the 2 best managers of his generation and I imagine he will go onto have a great managerial career himself.

I always go back to Shankly's attitude to sick notes, he had no time for them & neither do I.

Let's replace him with someone who can contribute & when they are playing, doesn't give unbelievably stupid free kicks away.

Lovely player to watch on the ball when he was on it but I won't miss him at all.

He was a great player but this went exactly as anyone who had paid attention to his career would expect. he struggle to stay fit playing in easy mode for Bayern, he was never going to stay fit over here. Shame, maybe worth the risk and had we won a the league and champions league the other year it would have been

10 minutes ago, Mook said:

I always go back to Shankly's attitude to sick notes, he had no time for them & neither do I.

Let's replace him with someone who can contribute & when they are playing, doesn't give unbelievably stupid free kicks away.

Lovely player to watch on the ball when he was on it but I won't miss him at all.

I won’t 

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He was a great player but this went exactly as anyone who had paid attention to his career would expect. he struggle to stay fit playing in easy mode for Bayern, he was never going to stay fit over here. Shame, maybe worth the risk and had we won a the league and champions league the other year it would have been

So blame Klopp then. Klopp and the powers that be looked at Thiago and thought fee+salary was a risk worth taking. Gambles don't always pay off.

13 minutes ago, Mook said:

The recruitment team must be eyeing his exorbitant wages as a chance to get in two decent young players, perhaps a forward and defensive midfielder? 

1 hour ago, John102 said:

He has worked under the 2 best managers of his generation and I imagine he will go onto have a great managerial career himself.

Guardiola, Ancelotti, Klopp, retirement. 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Adrian as well, presumably. Isn't he supposed to be on about 60k?

Yes. And hasn't played one game all season. Nice work if you can get it. Nat Phillips was on something stupid like 20 grand a week too.

29 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Looks like he's gone already. At 200k per week, you'd think he'd hang around to be cheerleader or something. 

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2024/04/thiago-has-left-liverpool-for-injury-rehab-expecting-offers-from-saudi-arabia/

Yeah something tells me he won’t be receiving a champions wall gift on the last day of the season 

34 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Looks like he's gone already. At 200k per week, you'd think he'd hang around to be cheerleader or something. 

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2024/04/thiago-has-left-liverpool-for-injury-rehab-expecting-offers-from-saudi-arabia/

That is all well and good if true but IMO we shouldn't be paying him to do that.

If it was working on getting fit for us fair do's but not if this is true. Should be a terminated contract early by mutual consent job.

• Upvote 1

A lovely, stylish player that was injury prone before we paid 25m for him, was injured when we got him and was injured most of the time after we got him.

Looked good, did a few turns, appealed to the odd lunatic who has his favourites where style over substance matters, took about 8 games to get up to speed after an injury and then got injured again.

Will live in the memory of 99% of fans for about 6 months and a lifetime for those who adored him.

25m plus wages wasted. 

Bought as a replacement for Wijnaldum, ended as the new Fabio Auerelio.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

A lovely, stylish player that was injury prone before we paid 25m for him, was injured when we got him and was injured most of the time after we got him.

Looked good, did a few turns, appealed to the odd lunatic who has his favourites where style over substance matters, took about 8 games to get up to speed after an injury and then got injured again.

Will live in the memory of 99% of fans for about 6 months and a lifetime for those who adored him.

25m plus wages wasted. 

Ended as the new keita

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I’m not going to criticise him. I’m sure he’s not injured on purpose.

An absolutely brilliant footballer when fit, a desperate shame we’ve not seen him enough.

Haley’s Comet makes more appearances…

9 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

25m plus wages wasted. 

Seen some cranks on Twatter who put him into an all time XI and said the only other midfielder who came close to him was Gerrard. These weren't Messi fanboys from Abuja or Singapore who have latched onto us the last couple of seasons either. 

9 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Seen some cranks on Twatter who put him into an all time XI and said the only other midfielder who came close to him was Gerrard. These weren't Messi fanboys from Abuja or Singapore who have latched onto us the last couple of seasons either. 

I was having a look on RAWK last night and some biff was actually advocating him getting a title winners medal if we win it this year....

• Haha 1