You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yes, Gnipper, I was born into abject poverty, raised in abject poverty, had my education and health affected by being raised in abject poverty.

You know the drill, council housing, estates, damp, absent parents, substance abuse ect.

Managed to pay my own way through the best universities in the land by working night shifts in a petrol station full time then attending lectures in the morning straight from work etc whilst maintaining grades and keeping my pensioner grandmothers house afloat as we would all be homeless without it.

Now I am enjoying the fruits of that and working tirelessly to make some of the most disadvantaged peoples lives in the world better as my life's work, whilst I could be earning far, far more elsewhere.

I guess I'm just a right wing shrill and deserve the opprobrium direct my way by the like of utter fucking clowns like your goodself?

I make absoultely no apologies for the way my life has turned out as Ive worked fucking hard for it whilst swimming against the tide.

Again, I repeat, what's the beef, little man?

Who's going to play you in the movie?

11 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yes, Gnipper, I was born into abject poverty, raised in abject poverty, had my education and health affected by being raised in abject poverty.

You know the drill, council housing, estates, damp, absent parents, substance abuse ect.

Managed to pay my own way through the best universities in the land by working night shifts in a petrol station full time then attending lectures in the morning straight from work etc whilst maintaining grades and keeping my pensioner grandmothers house afloat as we would all be homeless without it.

Now I am enjoying the fruits of that and working tirelessly to make some of the most disadvantaged peoples lives in the world better as my life's work, whilst I could be earning far, far more elsewhere.

I guess I'm just a right wing shrill and deserve the opprobrium direct my way by the like of utter fucking clowns like your goodself?

I make absoultely no apologies for the way my life has turned out as Ive worked fucking hard for it whilst swimming against the tide.

Again, I repeat, what's the beef, little man?

Ahhh, but can you cut and paste opinions from Twitter though, eh?

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

It seems to me there is a real lack of talent in the Labour Party at the moment apart from Miliband, Allin-Khan, Debbonaire, Dodds and maybe Thornberry, but as things stand at the moment Starmer is missing far too many opportunities to land a killer blow.

It's not good enough.

I disagree, the stage has been rigged ever since the Tories kicked Bercow out of the chamber for holding them to account. 

What we see now is a government that only pays lip service to the instruments of democracy and the ethical responsibility of holding public office. 

And sadly, lots of idiots like it that way, because their captor has a blue rosette.  

Labour could have the best, most quotable lines of attack in the world, and still not change anyone's mind.  The battle lines have been drawn, people's realities are distorted by the media they consume.  Both sides listen to, watch, read, the news outlets that reinforce their beliefs further.  Nobody's sorry.  Nobody feels they voted wrong. Everyone is doubling down. 

But at some point reality is going to bite the Tory supporters hard.  You can't ignore your bank balance dwindling, you can't ignore the bills mounting.  They will be brought to their knees before they admit they were wrong about Boris and the boys. But everyone has a limit, a breaking point, and it's being bottled-up way past the normal point of release.  

They're so bereft of moves now that they're just handing out money for people to pay bills.  You've never seen anything like it.  

The SW Councils are saying that local authority pay is likely to rise next year by 7 - 11%.  The unions have had enough of the suppressed pay.  The minimum wage is to go up again, it's already encroaching or surpassing the lowest grade council workers. That's not the fault of councils.  It's the Tories hiding reality from the taxpayers for 10 years.  The police, the NHS, the fire service, all in line to also have their pay brought back in line with inflation. And where will that money come from?  Yes, tax raises of course.

The party of low tax will be facing mass strikes or big tax rises.  All reminds you of the previous attempt to play this card.  Abject failure is a certainty, 

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I disagree, the stage has been rigged ever since the Tories kicked Bercow out of the chamber for holding them to account. 

What we see now is a government that only pays lip service to the instruments of democracy and the ethical responsibility of holding public office. 

And sadly, lots of idiots like it that way, because their captor has a blue rosette.  

Labour could have the best, most quotable lines of attack in the world, and still not change anyone's mind.  The battle lines have been drawn, people's realities are distorted by the media they consume.  Both sides listen to, watch, read, the news outlets that reinforce their beliefs further.  Nobody's sorry.  Nobody feels they voted wrong. Everyone is doubling down. 

But at some point reality is going to bite the Tory supporters hard.  You can't ignore your bank balance dwindling, you can't ignore the bills mounting.  They will be brought to their knees before they admit they were wrong about Boris and the boys. But everyone has a limit, a breaking point, and it's being bottled-up way past the normal point of release.  

They're so bereft of moves now that they're just handing out money for people to pay bills.  You've never seen anything like it.  

The SW Councils are saying that local authority pay is likely to rise next year by 7 - 11%.  The unions have had enough of the suppressed pay.  The minimum wage is to go up again, it's already encroaching or surpassing the lowest grade council workers. That's not the fault of councils.  It's the Tories hiding reality from the taxpayers for 10 years.  The police, the NHS, the fire service, all in line to also have their pay brought back in line with inflation. And where will that money come from?  Yes, tax raises of course.

The party of low tax will be facing mass strikes or big tax rises.  All reminds you of the previous attempt to play this card.  Abject failure is a certainty, 

You're right about Bercow, Hoyle has been absolute dogshit as speaker, certainly the worst one I can remember. I just feel that this softly softly approach is letting Johnson off the hook.

If ever there was a need for a strong opposition it's now but we just don't have one.

I dropped a bollock voting for Starmer in the leadership election, to say he's been disappointing is an understatement.

We need someone who will fight fire with fire and perhaps then People might have a bit more confidence in Labour's ability to govern.

Labour might be ahead in the polls just now but I'm concerned that lead will be eroded unless there is a more aggressive style of opposition to make an electorate gullible enough to buy Johnson's bullshit sit up and take notice.

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

What would a strong opposition be doing/achieving? 

Like I said in a previous post, I'm no political know all, it just seems to me that Starmer doesn't shoot into open goals.

A strong opposition in my opinion should be holding the government to account, something that seems to be lacking.

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Who would you have mate? 

Don't say Mankind. 

I’d have Clive Lewis purely because he follows me on Twitter. He was a big fan of mine in the ten second exchange between him and my friend that made him follow me. 

I could just slide into his DM’s and have some posters on here get their hard drives seized. 

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’d have Clive Lewis purely because he follows me on Twitter. He was a big fan of mine in the ten second exchange between him and my friend that made him follow me. 

I could just slide into his DM’s and have some posters on here get their hard drives seized. 

I'm on about a cage match you pillhead full on hell in a cell 

Don't be weird about this. 

16 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Weren’t really spoilt for choice, to be fair. 

True. RLB would have been unelectable imo. I don't really mind Nandy but I thought Starmer would take Johnson apart. He hasn't. 

He's had his moments, just nowhere near enough of them.

That business with the rag was the final straw for me.

5 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Like I said in a previous post, I'm no political know all, it just seems to me that Starmer doesn't shoot into open goals.

A strong opposition in my opinion should be holding the government to account, something that seems to be lacking.

I know mate, I’m really asking what that looks like. Is it being more aggressive at the dispatch box, is it rallies calling him a cunt, is it people

on morning tv calling him a cunt. What actually is it that he’s not doing at this point that should be done.

For me, it’s way easier to say ‘hold him to account’ than it is holding him to account with an 80 seat majority. We are in a position where somebody who was incredibly popular, trounced Labourcin the elections, has been ripped apart over partygate and shown to be a liar multiple

times, but his party wouldn’t remove him. How, other than jump over the dispatch box and repeatedly smashing him the face - and I want to be clear, I wouldn’t be against this - do you actually do to hold him to account. If it’s ‘be a bit more shouty’ then I dunno, there’s not much going to come from it. I’m basically asking what actions you want him to take.