You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

Rachel Reeves not applying a wealth tax, raising the top rate of income tax and not raising capital gains tax to match income tax will result in ever widening inequality and more social incoherence.

It'll be shameful considering the amount of poverty in Britain today.

20231213_182257.jpg

On 12/12/2023 at 17:01, Curly said:

Even that reported 3% Tory clawback filled me with dread.

I can’t even think how I’d feel if they managed to stay in at the next one. 

Nothing would surprise me. 

I remember saying in 2019 that people should enjoy going to put their X in a box as it would likely be the last "meaningful" vote that many people would have.  A Tory majority was on the cards and once in power, with that healthy majority, they would stop at nothing to stay in power.  They/we all crossed the Rubicon that day, the Tories had already shown on multiple occasions that precedent, tradition, and good faith meant zero to them, if it wasn't for Covid and party-gate I honestly think there would have been no going back.  As it is all their lies and corruption were exposed to a degree never seen before and it's let Labour back in with a shout.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Yes, foreign wars that we're not involved in have often been the difference in British general elections. 

It may involve two 'foreign countries' but we're not so closely linked. Which I'd why their have been thousands upon thousands of people marching throughout our city centres every weekend. It's been the main story on the national news for over a month and a quarter of Labour MPs have forged close links with one of the nations doing most of the fighting and most of the killing.

https://www.lfi.org.uk/

Not so easy to casually keep at distance.

Gnasher, nobody cares about Gaza enough to change their vote. Corbyn loved all that, labourland didn't give a fuck outside the blogosphere.

People are always yapping about how Iraq derailed Blair, but he won an election after it. Labour lost because Murdoch didn't like Gordon Brown.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Gnasher, nobody cares about Gaza enough to change their vote. Corbyn loved all that, labourland didn't give a fuck outside the blogosphere.

People are always yapping about how Iraq derailed Blair, but he won an election after it. Labour lost because Murdoch didn't like Gordon Brown.

Maybe. I'd normally agree with you  concerning foreign affairs but this feels slightly different. As you say it shouldn't alter the vote but imo it's the only thing that possibly could.

This election will be fought on “stop the boats” from a Tory perspective anyway. Like the last election was about delivering Brexit and falsely accusing the opposition leader of being an anti-Semitic terror supporter. 

I think vastly more people in the UK want a ceasefire across all political affiliations. It’s the MPs who are too scared to speak up because they know what they will get labelled as. 

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

This election will be fought on “stop the boats” from a Tory perspective anyway. Like the last election was about delivering Brexit and falsely accusing the opposition leader of being an anti-Semitic terror supporter. 

I think vastly more people in the UK want a ceasefire across all political affiliations. It’s the MPs who are too scared to speak up because they know what they will get labelled as. 

You're right it will be from the Tory standpoint. Labour will fight it on the economy, cost of living, NHS and tory fraud and incompetence. 

You're also right on most people across the void waiting a ceasefire. 76% on the whole. A figure that increases if you just take Labour or black/ethnic/Muslim voters.

Sections probably right in saying Gaza won't affect the Labour vote much as a whole (although certain high profile MPs such as David Lammy and Wes Streeting may find themselves in trouble) its the long term effect regarding the black/ethnic/Muslim voters who have always been predominantly Labour that might not bode well for the future. Once a group of voters are lost they're hard to bring back to the flock, Scotland being a prime example. It's also not good for democracy and social cohesion if large parts of Britain's communities feel their voice is not worth being listened to. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/30/keir-starmer-labour-israel-gaza

21 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Maybe. I'd normally agree with you  concerning foreign affairs but this feels slightly different. As you say it shouldn't alter the vote but imo it's the only thing that possibly could.

Labour should hope for the shortest lead in to an election possible, as Starmer is one of those politicians that people dislike the more they actually see him. 

Mr Blobby could be leader of the Labour Party and they would win the next election. The country has had enough of the Conservative Party for now, they’re tired of them, the lies, the bullshit , it’s the natural order of things, Labour will probably win two terms and then the Conservatives will be back in for 15 or 20 years and nothing will really change. It’s a Conservative country but  every now and again the electorate puts them in their place like a political sin bin. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Mr Blobby could be leader of the Labour Party and they would win the next election. The country has had enough of the Conservative Party for now, they’re tired of them, the lies, the bullshit , it’s the natural order of things, Labour will probably win two terms and then the Conservatives will be back in for 15 or 20 years and nothing will really change. It’s a Conservative country but  every now and again the electorate puts them in their place like a political sin bin. 

They’ve had enough of them now,

a greed, but that’s right now. When they start peddling the usual shite in however many months from now, there is no shoe in for anyone apart from the tories in Britain. 

I hope we can get 2 or 3 stints without them and be riding into the 30s with a labour focused and financed economy and system 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

if they lose the election and lurch even further right,younger people are,generally,not daily mail reading racists.

I think they could be done. 

44 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

20231215_083506.jpg

It's amazing how indoctrinated they are. You end up thinking that the only thing that will satisfy them is a time machine to go back in time and prevent the forming of the East India Company. Definitely wouldn't get all us brown people over here then. 

11 hours ago, Curly said:

They’ve had enough of them now,

a greed, but that’s right now. When they start peddling the usual shite in however many months from now, there is no shoe in for anyone apart from the tories in Britain. 

I hope we can get 2 or 3 stints without them and be riding into the 30s with a labour focused and financed economy and system 

A scary enough prospect in that it will take two terms to go someway in undoing the damage already caused

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I wish the soft little cunt would grow a proper set of knackers.

Starmer made the Labour Party jump into bed with two of the most evil organisations operating in the world. The Murdochs and the Israeli zionists. 

I wonder if today's u turn is Cameron calling for a ceasefire in todays Times and Labour losing support in the polls 

37 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Starmer made the Labour Party jump into bed with two of the most evil organisations operating in the world. The Murdochs and the Israeli zionists. 

I wonder if today's u turn is Cameron calling for a ceasefire in todays Times and Labour losing support in the polls 

Because Labour have never had anything to do with murdoch before