You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I cant be kicked out of the labour party Rico as I'm not a member. I was going to join tomorrow but after today's events I dont think I'll bother, seems the place is full of anti semites.

Oh I think you’ll fit right in, you can bleat about freedom of movement and provide them with articles you’ve not read. 

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I think being racist is a vote winner if you're thinking of voting tory. 

Oh I don’t know, I keep hearing about JC increasing the membership, getting the young vote. 

JC was either successful or he wasn’t. His disciples think he was. 

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Oh I don’t know, I keep hearing about JC increasing the membership, getting the young vote. 

Well he obviously wasn't because labour lost the last election and he then did the right thing by resigning. 

25 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

What do you care one way or the other, you vote with your calculator anyway 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Nothing wrong with what she said. The witch hunters are trawling through every word, it's why I think Starmers actions may rebound on him., hes drawn a hard line.

No, it's a really easy line to follow, you don't offer a personal fucking take on a perceived nuance between racism and anti-Semitism. 

She's a fucking idiot trying to appease the Corbynites and the Starmer supporters.  Whoops, you're a fucking racist.  That easy. 

23 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Agreed, and I was about to paste the same thing. There's another though that provides the answer :

This is why the position of Starmer and others that have bought into this is made of sand. It's based on defending a lie. The idea that you can't call any of it out as factional or invented because it hurts the feelings of Jews. As if Jews are just some block of people who are all offended in the same way. Well it might hurt the feelings of a lot of them but there's also a lot of Jews that do support Corbyn and they're the same people that got shut out of the media for years on end as this whole campaign against him was on the go. Shut out because they showed another side to the story. Shut out by the media because they were Jews exposing smears and lies, and that went completely against the whole narrative.

Corbyn was too far to the left for many to handle. So now we have a smear campaign that can't be called a smear campaign because that's an antisemitic trope apparently.

"Crimestop means the faculty of stopping short, as though by instinct, at the threshold of any dangerous thought. It includes the power of not grasping analogies, of failing to perceive logical errors, of misunderstanding the simplest arguments if they are inimical to Ingsoc, and of being bored or repelled by any train of thought which is capable of leading in a heretical direction. Crimestop, in short, means protective stupidity."

• Upvote 1

The section on political interference is a bit of a head-swim.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/default/files/investigation-into-antisemitism-in-the-labour-party.pdf

Obviously, in principle, the complaints procedures should be free from political influence, but if they're not working then isn't it right for the leader to show some, y'know, leadership?  In this instance, almost all of the examples given are of the leader's office stepping in to speed the process up or to suggest tougher penalties (even of Corbyn-supporting lefties).  But any political interference is deemed to be unlawful indirect discrimination and - by virtue of the fact that it undermines the independence of the process - is deemed to be harmful to Jewish members.

I think I follow that logic, but I'll bet my left bollock that tomorrow's tabloids won't explain how finely nuanced it is.

2 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

How could he have responded so that he didn’t get this obvious and ineffective shit thrown at him? 

Starmer was doing well, he didnt need to throw in the "people who claim antisemitism is exaggerated" line. Or the zero tolerance line. What he said previously was enough. He's now set the bar unbelievably high, Nandy has nearly tripped and it's still day one. 

Plus hes enraged the left..

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

A wanker from the New Statesman with a union jack on his twitter, I am sure Starmer and Corbyn will be really worried by his take on things.

That's not the issue, it's what the tory press are already hitting him with. Starmer stayed in a party and did not resign under a leader who has now been thrown out for anti semitism. The tories are going to have a ball.

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

Not seen the full report yet, what period does it actually cover , does it go back to the McNicol era ? as if it does this is being deliberately avoided on most outlets.

It repeatedly mentions things being a complete fucking mess, but acknowledging improvements from 2018.  It doesn't specifically state that that's when McNicol left.