You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

14 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Is there? Where does this come from? Not being snarky, but I've seen this said a few times. I was under the impression that transmission was about halved if you're vaccinated.

But it doesn’t stop transmission. That’s all over the internet. 

My own experience is that the funeral I was at the other 15 people with my wife (Initially we were aware it was only 8)  got Covid from a vaccinated person. I didn’t catch it. And I practically lick my wife’s face every day. 

EDIT: There are reports out there saying it reduces the Delta variant to 1 in 4. But the transmission is still going on 

Edited by Skidfingers McGonical

1 minute ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

My own experience is that the funeral I was at the other 15 people with my wife (Initially we were aware it was only 8)  got Covid from a vaccinated person. I didn’t catch it. And I practically lick my wife’s face every day. 

EDIT: There are reports out there saying it reduces the Delta variant to 1 in 4. But the transmission is still going on 

Well, yeah. But it reduces transmission. Along with massively improving your chances of not dying or ending up in  hospital, that's the whole point of them.

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Well, yeah. But it reduces transmission. Along with massively improving your chances of not dying or ending up in  hospital, that's the whole point of them.

Why haven’t I had it, and I’ve been around a lot of people over the past 2 years who have had it? I’ve self isolated for a total of 120 days so far (post first lockdown) 

7 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

My wife shared a house with me when I had it, our daughter when she had it and didn’t contract it either time.  

Just now, Rico1304 said:

My wife shared a house with me when I had it, our daughter when she had it and didn’t contract it either time.  

Similarly, neither my wife nor I got it when my son had it. We were both double jabbed at the time, so maybe that was why, but there's no way to tell.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I hear different stories from nurses I pick up from The Royal and Broadgreen. It’s probably somewhere in the middle. 

One of the Professors in the department right at the outset noted that the number of people who died from other conditions during SARs due to healthcare services being jammed full was greater than those who died of the disease itself.

At the moment there is a gigantic back log and a lack of capacity to get patients onto pathways and escalate patients. A decent chunk of that is being caused by the unvaccinated. In particular post op stuff is getting held up, but it's across the board, as noted the social distancing/IPC stuff is making it harder.

We used to always have capacity issues in winter, but this is nth degree, the mantra eminating from ops is discharge, discharge discharge ad infinitum.

Would have helped if the government had made a more concerted effort to retain staff and increase them so the bed base could be uplifted, but no it was straight back to the penny pinching shite and 'budget accountability' after the second wave. It was really disassociating. Brexit hasn't helped either.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

My young lad has had since Sunday, he's been in the bed with me every night and so far no one else in the house has got it. It's one fucked up virus.

When Izzy had it my wife had her in bed with her for a week.  I think my wife is a robot. 

12 minutes ago, No2 said:

My young lad has had since Sunday, he's been in the bed with me every night and so far no one else in the house has got it. It's one fucked up virus.

I'm sure there was a study a year or so back that reckoned only 18% or so pass it on to their near family even if they are sharing beds or whatever. It's a strange virus alright.

34 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Why haven’t I had it, and I’ve been around a lot of people over the past 2 years who have had it? I’ve self isolated for a total of 120 days so far (post first lockdown) 

Because you are 'Uncle Alf who smoked 100 ciggies a day and lived until he was 93.' Not everybody who smokes dies of lung cancer but it severely reduces the risks if you dont.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

When Izzy had it my wife had her in bed with her for a week.  I think my wife is a robot. 

He coughed in my face one of the nights and still nothing. I haven't kept him away from anyone in the house, if we're going to get it I'd rather it this week than 2 weeks time.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

One of the Professors in the department right at the outset noted that the number of people who died from other conditions during SARs due to healthcare services being jammed full was greater than those who died of the disease itself.

At the moment there is a gigantic back log and a lack of capacity to get patients onto pathways and escalate patients. A decent chunk of that is being caused by the unvaccinated. In particular post op stuff is getting held up, but it's across the board, as noted the social distancing/IPC stuff is making it harder.

We used to always have capacity issues in winter, but this is nth degree, the mantra eminating from ops is discharge, discharge discharge ad infinitum.

Would have helped if the government had made a more concerted effort to retain staff and increase them so the bed base could be uplifted, but no it was straight back to the penny pinching shite and 'budget accountability' after the second wave. It was really disassociating. Brexit hasn't helped either.

Your last paragraph touches on as to where I firmly believe 100% of the blame lies on all of this. 

Is there any real hard data out there that covers those who have caught or sadly died of the virus? e.g blood type, medical history (previous existing conditions etc) Are there specific blood types that may be less immune or more susceptible to the virus? 

What happened to that Nightingale hospital?  Not that it would have been much use up here. 

18 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'm sure there was a study a year or so back that reckoned only 18% or so pass it on to their near family even if they are sharing beds or whatever. It's a strange virus alright.

Yeah Mr Suzy had it last January, relatively mildly (though it knocked him out for nearly 2 weeks) and I got it even milder. Didn’t bother to sleep in different rooms, didn’t seem worth it once we knew he’d got it as we’d been together all the time beforehand. 

2 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Your last paragraph touches on as to where I firmly believe 100% of the blame lies on all of this. 

Is there any real hard data out there that covers those who have caught or sadly died of the virus? e.g blood type, medical history (previous existing conditions etc) Are there specific blood types that may be less immune or more susceptible to the virus? 

What happened to that Nightingale hospital?  Not that it would have been much use up here. 

I remember seeing stories a while ago about blood  type A being more susceptible. I’m blood type A and have a coronary stent but I had a mild case. All very odd. I was vaccinated 1 week before my husband got it, don’t know if that helped.

4 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

To what end? 

There’s a huge amount of data available, what would you do with it? 

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Bollocks. Breathing into a paper bag is a fundamental anxiety tool. 

There's people that have anxiety attacks where they struggle to breath. I read about one person that said they felt like they had to use all of their effert to try and force air into their lungs so I'm guessing that wasn't the only person on the planet with that issue considering not being able to breathe properly happens to a lot of people with anxiety. I don't think a paper bag or mask will help with that. Breathing into a paper bag will help for some but anxiety isn't the same across all people.