You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

27 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Spanish officials have said Brits can holiday in their country and move freely without any quarantine. Uk law remains that they have to quarantine for two weeks on their return, although that will be reviewed at the end of June. Not sure about this being a good move. 

It all goes back to how precarious our economies are. We can't cope with Burtons being closed for three months and the Spanish economy can't cope with Cockney teenagers not buying fishbowls for one summer.

If you were gonna go down the conspiracy road a communist economy could probably handle on and off lockdowns indefinitely. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Section_31 said:

They're letting us gringos into Wales next month, I'm off to Barmouth with my bucket and spade. Told the Mrs I'll go on my own if necessary, I need to see the sea.

Go to Fairbourne, less people and more space and only about 10 minutes away

• Upvote 1

Any idea when Nic’ is letting us gringos into Scotland?

I’ve nipped up to the Lakes twice this week and it’s been sound as a pound on a milk round. 

Hopefully it won’t be long until wild camping is allowed though because I could do without that trip up every few days to get my mountain fix in. It really is good for the soul getting walking boots on and getting high up away from people. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Spanish officials have said Brits can holiday in their country and move freely without any quarantine. Uk law remains that they have to quarantine for two weeks on their return, although that will be reviewed at the end of June. Not sure about this being a good move. 

Didn't they only enact this law on the 8th of June?

Are they really going to abolish it 3 weeks later?! 

A doctor claims that Covid-19 is becoming less deadly as it spreads.

A doctor has claimed that coronavirus has weakened from being like a "tiger" to a "wild cat" and may even peter out without a vaccine.

The bug is becoming less deadly as it spreads, according to Professor Matteo Bassetti, head of an infectious diseases clinic at Italy's Policlinico San Martino hospital.

He told the Sunday Telegraph that he has recently seen elderly patients recovering who would have died earlier on in the pandemic.

"Even patients aged 80 or 90 are now sitting up in bed and breathing without help. The same patients would have died in two or three days before," Professor Bassetti said.

giphy-3.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

A doctor claims that Covid-19 is becoming less deadly as it spreads.

A doctor has claimed that coronavirus has weakened from being like a "tiger" to a "wild cat" and may even peter out without a vaccine.

The bug is becoming less deadly as it spreads, according to Professor Matteo Bassetti, head of an infectious diseases clinic at Italy's Policlinico San Martino hospital.

He told the Sunday Telegraph that he has recently seen elderly patients recovering who would have died earlier on in the pandemic.

"Even patients aged 80 or 90 are now sitting up in bed and breathing without help. The same patients would have died in two or three days before," Professor Bassetti said.

giphy-3.gif

Perhaps that's also reflective of Italy not being in quite the mess it was before so people are getting better care

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If the daily infection rate is currently on average around 1250 and the daily death figure is on average currently 150 per day, the mortality rate must be considered to be more than 10%. I don't see how that has become less deadly.

2 hours ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

If the daily infection rate is currently on average around 1250 and the daily death figure is on average currently 150 per day, the mortality rate must be considered to be more than 10%. I don't see how that has become less deadly.

The number of infections will be a lot higher than that, as the figure's only the ones confirmed by testing. That Covid Zoe app estimated around 4K infections per day at the moment. Also, deaths occur a couple of weeks after the original infection- I'm not sure what the rate was back then, but it was probably at least 8K per day.

No idea what evidence they have that the virus is becoming less deadly- I hope it isn't just wishful thinking yet again. As said above, better treatment in less overrun hospitals might be helping. 

7 minutes ago, Mudface said:

No idea what evidence they have that the virus is becoming less deadly- I hope it isn't just wishful thinking yet again. As said above, better treatment in less overrun hospitals might be helping. 

It's weird that his claims have been dismissed by some people out of hand even though he's an infectuous disease doctor working in northern Italy, it's about as close to "in the trenches" as you can be.

Even with these 'second wave fears' in Beijing, most if not all appear to be asymptomatic, we're not - so far - seeing people piled high in emergency rooms and hospitals being purpose built in a matter of days.

Like you, I hope there's something in it but there's no way of knowing. One thing that's been frustrating in all this is the lack of trustworthy news sources. Even respected ones seem to give a platform to folks based on how scary or outrageous their claims are, rather than their credentials. One of the most common terms I've seen seems to be "the study - which is yet to be peer reviewed".

• Upvote 1

Just now, Section_31 said:

It's weird that his claims have been dismissed by some people out of hand even though he's an infectuous disease doctor working in Italy, it's about as close to "in the trenches" as you can be.

Even with these 'second wave fears' in Beijing, most if not all appear to be asymptomatic, we're not - so far - seeing people piled high in emergency rooms and hospitals being purpose built in a matter of days.

Like you, I hope there's something in it but there's no way of knowing. One thing that's been frustrating in all this is the lack of trustworthy news sources. Even respected ones seem to give a platform to folks based on how scary or outrageous their claims are, rather than their credentials. One of the most common terms I've seen seems to be "the study - which is yet to be peer reviewed".

Yep, there are too many useful idiots like Sikora willing to peddle 'good' news with seemingly no basis in science, which makes me feel very wary about any claims like this, regardless of who's making them.

If the virus is becoming less deadly, presumably it's mutated so it would have a different genome sequence to before. If that can be verified, then brilliant. Till then, I'm still keeping my head down and my fingers crossed.

• Upvote 1

I would say the virus itself has probably stayed the same - its not a computer game that changes levels.

The data has changed dramatically and the ways to interpret it have as well. That, with a general numbing of the public on risk/reward (country by country) of how it is being handled, can be positioned any way you want at this point.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I would say the virus itself has probably stayed the same - its not a computer game that changes levels.

The data has changed dramatically and the ways to interpret it have as well. That, with a general numbing of the public on risk/reward (country by country) of how it is being handled, can be positioned any way you want at this point.

Also worth considering (and this brutal, so apologies) it could be down to running out of people that it has a devastating effect on. Alternatively, thos who could be devastated by it are keeping themselves away from infection as much as possible.

There are four coronaviruses which cause common cold outbreaks every winter. One of them was responsible for the Russian Flu pandemic of the 1890s that killed a million people.

This is pretty typical. Our ancestors would have been killed in their droves by viruses that we now shrug off as a minor irritation.

• Upvote 1

On 11/06/2020 at 13:24, Spy Bee said:

The way he's communicated this is vile and is quite rightly getting abuse, however, if there are negative excess deaths in the next six months, the the gist of what he's saying could be correct. If Covid has cut short the lives of some terminally ill people - who would have died in the second part of 2020 - then this is a likely scenario. Time will tell.

I bet there were very fewer excess deaths of men in their early 20s in Britain in the late 1940s. That doesn't make it ok that there was a world war. 

Guest Pistonbroke
9 hours ago, The Gaul said:

I'm sure @Pistonbroke can give us the details, but it's just been on the news NW Germany has seen the R rate increase to 1.8. That is very worrying. 

I mentioned this yesterday mate and the spike is purely down to the slaughterhouse company Tönnies which is just 25 minutes up the road from us in the state of NRW (Nord-Rhein Westfalen). They have had 1331 positive tests within their company! Due to the fact the majority of these workers live in the same area they have quarantined the whole of it and are tracing where the other workers live and have visited. The State where I live (NRW) are not entertaining a return to the Lockdown phase due to these circumstances and the fact it is mainly localised to the area where these workers live. Most of them come from Eastern Europe and live in some sort of area which was bought by the company they work for. It's causing a bit of unrest though as certain ministers are saying a Lockdown should be brought back for our state as the rules were it would be if 50 new infections happened in an area with 100.000 residents. Clearly the circumstances are somewhat different though in this case, the company Tönnies have clearly acted like cunts and not had enough precautions/info/training in place to deal with the pandemic from the off. Probably cutting corners due to the fact they were classed as key workers being as they were dealing with food. 

It might be the wine, or the early evening light that turns a man of fortune in to a man of favour, but I feel like the addled hordes of the FF are a sun coming up over the horizon.

If they are awoken from their Covid induced hibernation then the world must be coming back to us. 

Still, fuck the Tories. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Mudface said:

Yep, there are too many useful idiots like Sikora willing to peddle 'good' news with seemingly no basis in science, which makes me feel very wary about any claims like this, regardless of who's making them.

This is far more prevalent in the knee jerk reactions to any perceived negative news. The R Rate in Germany being a prime example. All major media outlets are posting sensationalist clickbait headlines.

14 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

I mentioned this yesterday mate and the spike is purely down to the slaughterhouse company Tönnies which is just 25 minutes up the road from us in the state of NRW (Nord-Rhein Westfalen). They have had 1331 positive tests within their company! Due to the fact the majority of these workers live in the same area they have quarantined the whole of it and are tracing where the other workers live and have visited. The State where I live (NRW) are not entertaining a return to the Lockdown phase due to these circumstances and the fact it is mainly localised to the area where these workers live. Most of them come from Eastern Europe and live in some sort of area which was bought by the company they work for. It's causing a bit of unrest though as certain ministers are saying a Lockdown should be brought back for our state as the rules were it would be if 50 new infections happened in an area with 100.000 residents. Clearly the circumstances are somewhat different though in this case, the company Tönnies have clearly acted like cunts and not had enough precautions/info/training in place to deal with the pandemic from the off. Probably cutting corners due to the fact they were classed as key workers being as they were dealing with food. 

Any idea what percentage of these were asymptomatic? The word in Wrexham is that almost everybody from the local food factory is asymptomatic and only picked up due to track and trace. I don't know how reliable that is, mind.

The big boys are in the game now:

India has reported a record number of new coronavirus cases and a death toll of more than 400 people in the past 24 hours, Reuters reports.

The 15,000 new cases brought India’s total to more than 425,000, behind only the United States, Brazil and Russia, according to data from the federal health ministry.