You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Gomez

Oh Buoy

35 minutes ago, an tha said:

Good news as it maintains the depth we need at centre half and you'd think him and Konate are our future.

Going to be interesting this season though as if Matip stays fit like he managed to last season it is hard to see Gomez getting any more games than he did last season.

I think he will still get games as second choice right back. I can't see Ramsey being ready to step up from Aberdeen to playing for us in the Premier League.

I thought Gomez might want to move on this summer to win his England place back, but I get the feeling that he's not that arsed about playing for England.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I think he will still get games as second choice right back. I can't see Ramsey being ready to step up from Aberdeen to playing for us in the Premier League.

I thought Gomez might want to move on this summer to win his England place back, but I get the feeling that he's not that arsed about playing for England.

Hopefully TAA stays fit and aside from coming on as sub in games that are won (5 sub thing) and a bit of rotation in cups it isn't necessary

12 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Still hopeful he can get back to pre-injury form. Genuinely looked like he was on the verge of becoming world class that season.

He can only go back to said form with games, but he’s not getting games ahead of Virge or Konate. Same story as our midfield with Jones and Ox, they need games to get to their top level but we can’t afford go give them games as we need to win every game because that’s what Man City do. 

Great news!

As ridiculous as Southgate's stance on Trent is, it's an even bigger mystery to me that Southgate hasn't put Gomez in as his 1st choice central defender. At RB, there's other great options like James (and although not many on here rate him) and Walker. At CB the alternatives seem to be Maguire, Mings, Stones...

Not that I mind, like. Him not being involved with England reduces the risk for him to be injured again, which is the only real obstacle for him to reach the world class level he's capable of (not counting the formidable competitors for his place in the side...)

• Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, lebron said:

Great news!

As ridiculous as Southgate's stance on Trent is, it's an even bigger mystery to me that Southgate hasn't put Gomez in as his 1st choice central defender. At RB, there's other great options like James (and although not many on here rate him) and Walker. At CB the alternatives seem to be Maguire, Mings, Stones...

Not that I mind, like. Him not being involved with England reduces the risk for him to be injured again, which is the only real obstacle for him to reach the world class level he's capable of (not counting the formidable competitors for his place in the side...)

Last time he was called up by England his knee exploded, so I'm more than happy to keep laughing at Pickford flailing around behind Maguire and Mings.

• 3 months later...

Man of the match for me today. 

I do feel when Gómez retires, everyone, including himself will look back on his career and admit he really could have been an all time great, if it wasn't for injuries. 

He had all the tools to be the best, pace, power, very good on the ball......I just hope he can get back to the level he was at in 2019, because he deserves it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Its infuriating to see him put in a performance like that and then make mistakes like he does frequently in other games. 

The focus, surely, is on what he does next. His last game was excellent. It's down to him as to how he moves forward.