You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Mar 17-23 2018)

tlw content

diarybanner.jpg

Saturday Mar 17… 

L 5 Watford 0 Those two poor bastards on the left of the Watford defence will be waking in the night in a cold sweat seeing Mo’s smiling face after this. It was almost cruel what he did to them, especially Britos who was left crawling around the canvas trying to find his gum shield. Salah was just phenomenal today, but as much as I enjoyed it I couldn’t help thinking "fucks sake Mo, why couldn’t you have played like this last week?” 

Four chances, four goals and a brilliant assist thrown in. Just half of that last week and we'd be second. He's incredible though isn't he? I wonder how many is he going to end up with? We’ve got a minimum of nine games left and if we can get by City that will be 11 or hopefully 12. Mo is 11 behind Rushy’s all time club record for goals in a season, but he will have played less games. It could end up being close though if he has another day like this somewhere along the way between now and the end of the season. Goodison would be rather fitting actually, seeing as though it’s Rushy and that. 

Sunday Mar 18…

Lots of hand wringing on social media about the plans to 'greet' the Man City coach when they come to Anfield. It's basically going to be the same thing that happened to Villarreal a couple of years ago. Loads of Reds lining Anfield Road, singing, banging on the side of the bus, letting off smoke bombs and probably a few knobs lashing bottles at the bus. Yet the Manc press are talking it up like we're planning to blow up the fucking bus and crying about how 'illegal' it all is.

Then you have the City fans shrugging it off and downplaying the importance of Anfield. I love it when this happens. Someone mentions 'Anfield under the lights' or 'the magic of a European night at Anfield' and the rest of the country rolls their eyes and dismisses it as a load of clichéd nonsense. They do that out of jealousy. Nowhere else in England has that kind of power, and they all HATE IT.

"Ooooooh a bit of singing and a few flags, that's really going to intimidate (insert random South American who has played in Boca v River Plate) isn't it?" They don't get it. It's not just about what it does to opposing players (although it often does unexplainable things), it's more how it inspires our lads to almost superhuman acts. I mean fucking hell, we needed three goals in the last 15 minutes to beat Dortmund and we got them, and two of them were scored by Sakho and Lovren!! So don't tell me that Anfield doesn't have magical powers because clearly it fucking does.

We'll hear all kinds of dismissive shite before we play City. I know this because we've heard it all before. Remember Marca's front page "This is Anfield? So what?" on the morning of that 4-0 game? As Butch said in Pulp Fiction. "They keep under-estimating you. That's how you're gonna beat 'em".

City may well still go through because they're better than us. They might even come and win at Anfield, God knows they're due a victory here, but irrespective of what happens they'd love to have the kind of home advantage that we have, because playing at the Etihad isn't going to inspire or intimidate anyone. 

Meanwhile, Chelsea are through to the FA Cup semis after an extra time win at Leicester. They just look shit though don’t they? I can’t put my finger on it. They aren’t useless, snivelling shitbags like Arsenal but it’s just not quite right with them. Hopefully they can put a couple of performances in and win the cup as I’d much rather they did it than the Mancs or Spurs, who will meet in the semis. 

Problem is I wouldn’t trust Chelsea to beat either of them after seeing the way they approached those games with the two Manc clubs.  

This is just a teaser, click here to view the rest of the article

Please note that 'The Week that Was' is only available to TLW website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first, registration is FREE) and can be purchased here.

Great read as usual Dave.

Not making excuses for the England fans but loved the comment from the England police liaison guy when he was asked if they had anticipated any trouble , saying , If you send 6000 English fans on a communal stag do to Amsterdam you would always worry , other than arranging a friendly with Scotland in Magaluf I can't imagine anything worse.

• Upvote 1

When that rat Lingard scored I immediately regretted the decision to keep watching. I can't think of a current player I despise more than him.

I thought this title already belongs to Harry Kane

It's a close one and probably fluctuates week to week. Kane is probably the bigger twat, but when Lingard maybe edges it just because any time I see his face I want to repeatedly punch it until my knuckles bleed.

Hope those england fans who were taking the piss in Amsterdam get a good hiding in Russia. 

Adam Bogdan - i know he's not the best goalie we've ever had, but when my baby was in Alder Hey and the Liverpool team came round he was sound! Friendly, chatty, self deprecating. Good lad.  

• Upvote 2

While I agree with your football assessment of Ibrahimovic, part of me has grown to like him. I cant help but think he's trolling everyone with an act, and that when he finally retires he's going to sit back laughing his arse off at what he got away with.

• Upvote 1

While I agree with your football assessment of Ibrahimovic, part of me has grown to like him. I cant help but think he's trolling everyone with an act, and that when he finally retires he's going to sit back laughing his arse off at what he got away with.

The thought had crossed my mind previously, but I'm not buying it. I think that would be giving him too much credit. He's just a massive helmet.

Hope those england fans who were taking the piss in Amsterdam get a good hiding in Russia. 

Adam Bogdan - i know he's not the best goalie we've ever had, but when my baby was in Alder Hey and the Liverpool team came round he was sound! Friendly, chatty, self deprecating. Good lad.  

You never let him hold the baby did you ?

• Upvote 3