You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Saturday, 10th March - Man Utd vs Liverpool. Battle for second place gets serious.

This has got to be a first subbing a player because a tv pundit might influence the ref.

Jose Mourinho claimed that he substituted goalscorer Marcus Rashford in Manchester United’s 2-1 win over Liverpool because he was concerned Gary Neville’s half-time verdict that the striker should have been dismissed would influence referee Craig Pawson.

The United manager was responding to questions about the crowd booing his decision to replace Rashford with Marouane Fellaini, with the 20 year-old having scored two first-half goals. Mourinho said that he had been told about Neville’s half-time analysis on Sky Sports in which he said that the striker, booked for a foul on James Milner, was in danger of being dismissed.

Mourinho said: “To react against me and my decisions, that is not a problem for me. At half-time someone told me Gary Neville was asking for Marcus Rashford to get a red card. And I was scared as I thought maybe the referee was watching at half-time and was influenced by Gary. So when we were more defensive, as Liverpool in the second half pushed us [i made the change].

“When Liverpool brought a lot of players to the centre of the pitch and brought Ashley Young inside, Marcus Rashford was defending the corner against [Trent] Alexander-Arnold. With the yellow card and the pressure for Gary asking for a red card, I made the decision to play a player that could make a foul on Alexander [without being dismissed].”

The referee is not permitted to watch the half-time coverage and Mourinho did not appear to be entirely serious. He also criticised the home fans for groaning in the 57th minute when midfielder Scott McTominay passed the ball back into his own half with United going forward, a decision which prompted applause from his manager.

TELEMMGLPICT000157032723_trans_NvBQzQNjv
Scott McTominay was booed for a backpass Credit: ACTION IMAGES

Mourinho said: “The fans can do what they want. I am not upset at all with that reaction. I am upset with the reaction they had with Scott McTominay, that kid who is 20 year's old was making all the right decisions and they wanted him to make the wrong decisions.

“So when the kid decides to break the intensity of the ball, did not lose the ball, kept possession, plays a pass back and comes up with a solution to keep the ball in the opponents’ half - it was a wonderful solution that many top, top players with experience don’t do. But he did it and the fans reacted against the kid. That for me was the bad one.”

Mourinho said that his side had spotted the weakness in Dejan Lovren that enabled Romelu Lukaku to dominate the Liverpool centre-back and create the two goals for Rashford. He said: “We gave options to the players. We have different options. I am not a kind of mechanic coach that says, ‘A pass to B, B pass to C, C pass to D’. I am much more supportive of preparing players well and to feel the game.

“We had different options. We also had the possibility of the long ball to McTominay and bringing [Andy] Robertson wide for the long ball in the air. Lukaku was confident by his experience that he could be dominant in relation to Lovren and it worked.”

Jurgen Klopp said that his team had been guilty of giving Lukaku too much room for manoeuvre. “In the situations around the two goals, it was not like it should be,” he said. “You cannot leave a player like Lukaku alone. We trained for that, of course. They scored twice. One team gets a big boost, and the other a big blow. We came back minute by minute in the game. We put them under pressure and had good moments in the box.”

Klopp was unhappy that Sadio Mane was not awarded a second-half penalty for a challenge from Fellaini. He said that it was not the case that Liverpool’s attacking, possession-heavy approach had cost them. “It was not that United’s style won or our style lost. It was the same issue around second balls. You have to do what you have to do. Our mistake was not to do that. It was nothing to do with the system.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/10/jose-mourinho-brought-marcus-rashford-scared-referee-would-influenced/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

Neville is generally ok commentating but I couldnt help but notice the difference yesterday.

When we played Spurs he literally screamed the word penalty for their equaliser, which was marginal at best.

Yesterday, while Young was wrestling Salah to the ground, he said "Young takes his hands off him at the right time"

• Upvote 1

Neville is generally ok commentating but I couldnt help but notice the difference yesterday.

When we played Spurs he literally screamed the word penalty for their equaliser, which was marginal at best.

Yesterday, while Young was wrestling Salah to the ground, he said "Young takes his hands off him at the right time"

He also said something like "He fouls him there outside he box, and there inside the box, but let's go there before the refree see it."

What was the fucking linesman looking at??

Didn’t think Chamberlain was as bad as some making out, he was poor for about 15 minutes after the goals. We should of left him on to play RWB.

Was not happy at being subbed either. Obviously he did not know the camera was on him but you could see him go me no what the fuck. I do not have a problem with him being unhappy at being hooked and if I was him I would have been pissed off getting hooked while Mane was putting in a shit show and staying on.

I blame the thread starter and that topic title. "Battle for second place gets serious"? We're fucking FOURTH and two bad results away from falling out the top four altogether.

Or two from being second. Or third. We had a bad result. Against a good team. Away. It's bitter but we need to be going forward in a positive way.

Was not happy at being subbed either. Obviously he did not know the camera was on him but you could see him go me no what the fuck. I do not have a problem with him being unhappy at being hooked and if I was him I would have been pissed off getting hooked while Mane was putting in a shit show and staying on.

I think the Ox was more disappointed with himself than anything else tbh, he could hardly complain about getting hooked, Mane whilst not great was much more of a threat and would probably have scored twice were it not for two blatant penalty none decisions.

• Upvote 1

I don’t mind any player being pissed off when subbed, I’d have a problem if players don’t mind being hooked.

He was fucking garbage though.

I blame the thread starter and that topic title. "Battle for second place gets serious"? We're fucking FOURTH and two bad results away from falling out the top four altogether.

haha don't worry I won't be starting more so we'll start climbing up again. I still think second is very doable.