You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Ummmmm, guys? What if I'm actually Michael Edwards, and I just don't know it somehow? Like, I'm schizophrenic or something?

Liverpool are interested in Napoli’s holding midfielder Jorginho - he would be the club’s first choice, according to @_pauljoyce

Tired of dining out off my suggestion that we buy Naby Keita from Salzburg when he would have cost a pittance and no one had heard of him, I fired up my old number-cruncher to look into the future to see which players we'll be targeting in years to come. I have a few names which may or may not pan out, but the idea is that we'd look at these players now for £10-20m rather than in 3 years when they've already proved to be excellent but they'll cost £50m+.

Here you go:

Jorginho - 26, CM/DM, Napoli. Maybe a bit too old for us to buy at this point or especially in another season or two but wow. He is really good. In terms of vertical passing his numbers are literally almost off the charts. The next best after him are some names like Veratti, David Silva, Fabregas, and Ozil, if that's any indication.

• Upvote 2

Ummmmm, guys? What if I'm actually Michael Edwards, and I just don't know it somehow? Like, I'm schizophrenic or something?

Liverpool are interested in Napoli’s holding midfielder Jorginho - he would be the club’s first choice, according to @_pauljoyce

Jorginho is a top class midfielder. That would be another great signing. 

• Upvote 1

Gonna bang my own drums too. In all seriousness, I seriously doubt there is a more intelligent footballer in the game at the moment. He's not the most imposing physically but in terms of off the ball movement, the lad is a tactical genius. Like having a manager on the pitch. Would not be surprised if the mancs were also interested though.

Still pissed off we decided against spending 15m on Zielinski and went 25m on Klopp's third choice Wijnaldum instead.

Jorginho in particular was magnificent yesterday. Would be great if we could nick him or Diawara from Napoli.

• Upvote 3

Jurgen Klopp will buy a goalkeeper this summer with Simon Mignolet set to leave, having been usurped in the battle for a starting jersey by his 24-year-old rival. A No 6 and a replacement for Philippe Coutinho are also likely.

The wish list in the first two instances could take the Liverpool manager to Serie A. Napoli’s holding midfielder Jorginho would be the Merseyside club’s first choice, the problem being that the Brazilian-born Italian international would be the same for just about every elite side in Europe.

AS Roma’s Alisson is the preferred target for goalkeeping reinforcements, although Liverpool have backed out of the chase for his signature for the time being.

They are unwilling to pay a huge ‘Salah-tax’ to the Italian club for Alisson simply because 12 months ago they secured the Egyptian for a £36.9m fee that has been shown to be a steal.

If Alisson and his representatives fight to ensure his price tag is not prohibitive – and the latest figures range from anything between £60m and £90m – then Liverpool could return to the negotiating table.