You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Pep has spent what over £50m on two keepers, he has spent over £50m on one full back. I am not fully up to speed with who he has brought in not being a city watcher but he has certainly spent the cash in the short time he has been there. That said part of the problem for us and others chasing City is that the rest of the PL does not really put up a fight against them. Look at Watford conceeding in 39 seconds. It has happened with us Chelsea and Manchester United in the past some teams are prepared to almost gift them the points and put up a fight against the rest of the teams in the Premier League.

This used to happen with the mancs all the time, teams just took the loss even though they were vulnerable at certain moments.

An air of invincibility is very important as is the atmosphere.  We need to get back to that, we can do it in Europe but cant be fucked to make any noise in the prem games.

I wouldn't be surprised if marketing plays a big sway in Pulisic draw to FSG.

Premier League Story

@LFCLegacy

Soccer’s popularity has tripled in the USA over the last decade. Looks like America is finally catching the bug.

Paul Kennedy

@pkedit

New Gallup poll: No sport has ever come as close to catching the big three U.S. sports in terms of popularity as soccer has today. (link: http://bit.ly/2m9UDzy) bit.ly/2m9UDzy

Couldn't have picked a worse game to follow the sale of Coutinho, against Man City.

If we lose it'll be all because we sold Coutinho, and the internet will be fuming until the end of the window.

We should have sold him just before we played someone shit, then gone and won the game without him, and we'd be great, just great.

The longer we hold on to the money without spending, the more likely that other teams might forget we're minted in the summer.

Just been looking at Pulsic' showreel, he looks impressive.

BUT

He's a one trick pony, he reminds me so much of Michael Owen in his young years.  And the problem with that is that he's fucked if he picks up an injury and loses half a percent of that searing speed.

Mane and Salah are different in that they are powerful lads, not just quick.  Whereas Pulisic has the body of a child. Big risk if you ask me, especially as he's played a lot of football in his young years, an injury could be right around the corner, as it was for Owen.

Just been looking at Pulsic' showreel, he looks impressive.

BUT

He's a one trick pony, he reminds me so much of Michael Owen in his young years. And the problem with that is that he's fucked if he picks up an injury and loses half a percent of that searing speed.

Mane and Salah are different in that they are powerful lads, not just quick. Whereas Pulisic has the body of a child. Big risk if you ask me, especially as he's played a lot of football in his young years, an injury could be right around the corner, as it was for Owen.

From the few limited YouTube clips I've seen of him. I got the same impression.

He just looks like a little boy. Can he even hit the target from the edge of the box?

At risk of sounding like "Purple Aki"

I'd rather someone with a slightly stronger physique.

In his letter to Scudamore and Clarke, Anderson writes: “I believe that the circumstance of his transfer now warrants serious investigation. There seems to me to be at least a public perception that collusion has taken place. While that may not be the case, it is in your interest that this is at least looked at to reassure fans that transfers will be monitored more closely in future and that no individuals are benefitting inappropriately.

“Football fans are often treated as the forgotten minority and the Premier League would not be the fantastic product it is without them. Those committed fans pay exceptional ticket prices to watch their team play which I believe gives them a stake in this whole process, and they deserve the right to a degree of transparency.

“I am so concerned about the circumstances surrounding this transfer that I am asking the appropriate police authorities to consider whether any fraud has taken place.”

With Liverpool confirming on Saturday that Philippe Coutinho’s move to Barcelona was nearing completion, attention now turns to how the Reds will spend their £142million windfall.

Of course, they could look to keep the money safe this winter, content with their £75m purchase of Virgil van Dijk, before spending it in the summer.

But that is no fun, is it? So here are the latest reports as to how the money will be spent.

BeIN SPORTS in France, who hopefully employ a native version of Richard Keys, say Riyad Mahrez is Liverpool’s top transfer target this month. A translated version of the story suggests a medical will go ahead on Sunday.

The move will cost €55m, and Mahrez will sign a contract until June 2022. Job done.

Or not, because reports in England refute the story. Sky Sports say Liverpool ‘are not interested’ in the Algerian winger. There has been ‘no contact’ between the two clubs. Sky add that Leicester would want more than £50m for Mahrez either way.

The Leicester Mercury corroborate claims that Liverpool don’t want Mahrez, while the Press Association report the same.

But Sky do say that ‘Jurgen Klopp is in the market for a creative forward, similar to Coutinho’. They give no names; others do.

The Liverpool Echo say that Thomas Lemar ‘is still top of their wanted list’. The Monaco forward was linked with both them and Arsenal in the summer, but stayed with Monaco instead. Liverpool’s interest has not waivered.

The problem Liverpool may have is that they ‘acknowledge even a mammoth bid may not be enough to change Monaco’s stance,’ which is that Lemar is not for sale this month.

Three other names are thrown into the hat: Julian Brandt of Bayer Leverkusen, Julian Draxler of Paris Saint-Germain, and JulianLeon Goretzka of Schalke.

Of course, the only outlet anyone is bothered about is that Daily Express. They have handily published an article headlined: ‘Philippe Coutinho replacement: Most likely Liverpool transfers in January’

The story, featuring a gallery of ten pictures, includes the names of Max Meyer, Inaki Williams and Alex Teixeira.

Oh, and Stefan de Vrij and Kevin Trapp. A centre-half and a goalkeeper. In a story headlined ‘Philippe Coutinho replacement’.

The list is also taken from FootballWhispers.com, which is just wonderful

• Upvote 1