You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

England are still in this but Smith's wicket will decide the match. Warner is due a score as well.

Would be interesting to see Archer and Wood bowling in tandem at 90mph+ at both ends, not sure I recall seeing another England bowler hit 90mph - at least regularly. Don't see both being accommodated unless Anderson is still not ready though.

47 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

Tomorrow could be pretty exciting. 200 would be a tough chase

It's day 5 tomorrow and I don't see the Aussies being concerned about chasing England down, unless England set a pitiful total and there is enough time to do it.

23 minutes ago, Trumo said:

It's day 5 tomorrow and I don't see the Aussies being concerned about chasing England down, unless England set a pitiful total and there is enough time to do it.

All depends on the run rate required I guess. It's a chance to pretty much sew up the Ashes for Australia so they will give it a go if it's on.

2 hours ago, Brownie said:

What a brilliant day of Test Cricket that was today. You can’t beat it, it’s just superb when it’s like that.

Yep, it had everything. The 250-300 score range again offers a proper contest. 

Guest Pistonbroke
6 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Steve Smith concussed out of the test.  Job done.

I suppose we might stand a chance of winning now that we've deliberately hit their best player's head.

Deliberately? 

We targeted him with the short stuff, but nothing different to what Aussie pace bowlers have done. 

Smith's a cock and I hate him, but hopefully he's fit enough for the next test. If he isn't then so be it, I'm sure they didn't give a fuck when Anderson had to pull out. 

8 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Steve Smith concussed out of the test.  Job done.

I suppose we might stand a chance of winning now that we've deliberately hit their best player's head.

Mate you’re being a massive wet lettuce about this. Take a step back and give your head a wobble. Short bowling is part of the game, always has been and always will be.

Getting out of the way of a short ball is an art form. Playing a hook or pull shot is an art form.

Stop being a dick.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

Mate you’re being a massive wet lettuce about this. Take a step back and give your head a wobble. Short bowling is part of the game, always has been and always will be.

Getting out of the way of a short ball is an art form. Playing a hook or pull shot is an art form.

Stop being a dick.

Patronising nonsense.  I have a view, I'll write it if I want to.

It was terrible the way Smith got hit  but that was proper tough brilliant to watch Test match cricket reminiscent of Atherton v Donald .

If anything the way Cummins targeted Woakes was more uncomfortable viewing but that's why it"s known as a Test

• Upvote 1

Just now, TK421 said:

Patronising nonsense.  I have a view, I'll write it if I want to.

I didn’t say you weren’t entitled to your view. You can say absolutely whatever you want.

It makes no sense what you’re saying though.

What would you prefer, short bowling to be banned then?

Just now, Scooby Dudek said:

If Smith is concussed surely Cricket Australia must be questioned about sending him back out yesterday.

If England score quickly does anyone think they will have the courage to declare and try to force a win ?  I don't. 

No chance and I wouldn’t risk it at all. Take the draw and get the win at Headingley.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Scooby Dudek said:

If Smith is concussed surely Cricket Australia must be questioned about sending him back out yesterday.

If England score quickly does anyone think they will have the courage to declare and try to force a win ?  I don't. 

Could be that it is his arm causing the issue and the concussion is an excuse so they could play a concussion substitute as of the new rules. 

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

I didn’t say you weren’t entitled to your view. You can say absolutely whatever you want.

It makes no sense what you’re saying though.

What would you prefer, short bowling to be banned then?

It just crossed a line for me, Brownie.  Having already been hit once, to continue with the same tactic was massively shithouse. It had obviously been discussed beforehand and planned.  If that's how we're going to try and win the Ashes I want no part of it.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, TK421 said:

It just crossed a line for me, Brownie.  Having already been hit once, to continue with the same tactic was massively shithouse. It had obviously been discussed beforehand and planned.  If that's how we're going to try and win the Ashes I want no part of it.

Most teams continue with the short stuff if they've already hit a batsman. It wasn't shithouse at all, they all do it. 

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I don’t think Cricket is for you then mate, if that’s the case. This is part of the game. Always has been, always will be.

Why would you not use one of your biggest strengths?! No-one is deliberately trying to hurt anyone, they are doing their job which is to get wickets.

Broad got his face rearranged by a short ball and is shit scared now every time he goes out, yet he gets peppered every time, and rightly so.

• Upvote 1