You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wetting the Baby's Head

Mook

What are people's experiences of this tradition?

I had mine about 6 weeks after my Son was born, went down my local with a few mates & got smashed. I kept my missus' family out of it because her brother is sound but he's not really the sort of person I would associate with & her Uncle is a complete fanny (her Dad died shortly after I met her). Her uncle has been hassling me for the last 13 months about it though & now her brother has become a Dad & I've got his Son's head wetting this Saturday with that lot & his mates in Musselburgh (which is kind of like what Runcorn is to Liverpool).

I have to say I'm not looking forward to it although I'll do what I normally do in awkward circumstances & get completely buckled so I don't give a fuck.

Some lads I know turn it into a stag do-type night with a bag of beak & a load of strippers & other people seem not to do anything at all, what's the consensus on here?

• Upvote 2

My lad was born in 1994 on a Thursday in the now closed Oxford St Maternity Hospital in town. My missus was supposed to come out of hospital on Saturday morning.

The night started by me taking a chippy order to 6 pregnant or just dropped women from Tuebrook to Oxford St. Then as I drank in that area I went to my locals, the Belvedere which my family ran, the Blackburne, Caledonian and the Craic. Got all the congratulations shit and ended up in the Belvedere till the early hours. Got invited back by my aunties friends to a home made Chinese buffet because it was someone's birthday and a couple of aunties and uncles went to. It was in the old high rises off St Domingo Rd, this couple used to run the Kop ( Devonshire Arms ) for years.

Ends up stuffing my face and getting even more rat arsed on Cobra with my uncle and this guy in a tiny bedroom kittedout like a bar, every beer mat and beer bottle under the sun as the old guy was in the merch. End of the night and end up basically getting carried into a lift and slung into a cab with my auntie who apparently dropped me off. Wome up to a phone call about 10am from the then missus asking where I was, halfway up the stairs with my pants around my ankles clutching a can of lager. I managed to sober up but still had to have my uncle drive to pick her up at 4pm.

Didn't wet the baby's head for my daughter.

• Upvote 5

Better than that bloke who punched the baby in the supermarket

That was in or around Manchester though, Rico says wetting the baby's head isn't a big thing there so I'm assuming they go around punching babies in the coupon to celebrate their introduction to the World instead.

Terry Christian was a baby once so you can see why.

Had a night out 4 weeks after we had the little one, under pressure from the lads. Purposely had it on a Thurs night so it wouldn't descend into utter chaos. But it did anyway cos most of the lads took the day off and brought a bag of Jack n Jills. I was very good though. Got home at 2 pished as fook but didn't partake in the other. It's a bit outdated to be honest.

I've been on a few. They've all pretty much been on the night of the day the baby was born or in the following few days.

They've all been fairly civilised affairs, with a wide age range from the dad and his mates to older folks like the dad's dad and uncles etc.

They've just been a usual local night out. Nothing overly special. A few beers with the only difference being a couple of cigars and bottles of bubbly making an appearance.

No strippers or bags of coke etc, probably as my mates aren't all raving drug fiends.