You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

The IPSO has deemed Skwawkbox to officially be fake news. It's essentially the left-wing equivalent of Breitbart, and anyone citing it should be laughed at.

Skwakwbox is beyond contempt. Might as well quote Breirbart to me, it’s a fucking shit tip run by, and for, the worst kind of dickhead.

See this maybe:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/squawkbox-stella-creasy_uk_5a44a3f5e4b025f99e19a10e

Or this:

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-has-the-media-ignored-good-news-about-jeremy-corbyn

Or this;

Grenfell D Notice 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesball/no-there-isnt-a-d-notice-banning-the-media-from-reporting

And countless more. Maybe you shouldn’t believe every shite some utter fucking bellend blogs he’s fed by cunts like Andrew Murray. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Skwakwbox is beyond contempt. Might as well quote Breirbart to me, it’s a fucking shit tip run by, and for, the worst kind of dickhead.

See this maybe:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/squawkbox-stella-creasy_uk_5a44a3f5e4b025f99e19a10e

Or this:

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-has-the-media-ignored-good-news-about-jeremy-corbyn

Or this;

Grenfell D Notice 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesball/no-there-isnt-a-d-notice-banning-the-media-from-reporting

And countless more. Maybe you shouldn’t believe every shite some utter fucking bellend blogs he’s fed by cunts like Andrew Murray. 

That Stella Creasey thing is hardly "bullying" is it? It's a political news blog asking an MP a question.  That's it.

People  (not just Skwakwbox) who accused the media of burying that peace prize story did so in the context of media coverage which has been independently proven to accentuate the negative/eliminate the positive when it comes to Corbyn.  Also, Corbyn is only the second UK politician (after John Hume in 1998) to win it. We can only speculate about what coverage any other UK politician would or wouldn't have got, had they won it.

The Waterson thing appears to be a report in which they got their numbers wrong. Skwawkbox is not unique in this.

The attempts to compare it to Breitbart are fundamentally wrong. Breitbart exists to spread lies in service of a divisive and violent ideology. Skwawkbox is a political news blog which  (no more or less than any other news blog, broadcaster or newspaper) sometimes gets stuff wrong. 

Like any other news source, it should neither be trusted completely nor dismissed completely. 

12 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

Oh come on that Prize was absolutely not what it was portrayed.  We did that at the time.  

Setting aside the kerfuffle over "MSM" coverage, I've just had a look at how the Skwawkbox portrayed that prize.

https://skwawkbox.org/2017/12/09/corbyn-receives-international-peace-prize-in-geneva/

https://skwawkbox.org/2017/12/11/bbc-still-silent-on-corbyns-peace-award-or-awards/

The second article uses the phrase "a landmark award".  That doesn't really mean much, except that the authors clearly think it's a bit of a big deal.

Every other reference to the award is in purely factual terms: it is absolutely what was portrayed.

To me, both Skwawkbox and Breitbart get away with shit that their readers would never contort to let slide by the supposed great evil of the MSM.

This is the way the internet is taking us, far from democratising the dissemination of information, it's becoming a honeycomb of echo chambers from which opposing sides shout at each other, both convinced that other - more traditional - media channels don't represent them. In a way, I guess they're right.

The country will sadly fall back to Centrism in the end; not because it's right, but because either side of that become characterised by dumpster fires that resort to the lowest tactics (you can include poor journalistic endeavour to check facts within this, it's a choice that's made, not a mere mistake, as we see with the tabloid press, who've been doing it for a century), and genuine supporters looking for fair and even coverage are tarred as guilty by association for sharing the links.

The site you open in curiosity is now indicative of a world view, and once people tire of this need to be personified by a moral mouse click, they'll slump back into their sofas and turn on the TV, or listen to the half-truths of pub chat to base their political opinions on; I fear it'll be no less full of misinformation anyway.

Maybe I woke up in a bad mood.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

To me, both Skwawkbox and Breitbart get away with shit that their readers would never contort to let slide by the supposed great evil of the MSM.

This is the way the internet is taking us, far from democratising the dissemination of information, it's becoming a honeycomb of echo chambers from which opposing sides shout at each other, both convinced that other - more traditional - media channels don't represent them. In a way, I guess they're right.

The country will sadly fall back to Centrism in the end; not because it's right, but because either side of that become characterised by dumpster fires that resort to the lowest tactics (you can include poor journalistic endeavour to check facts within this, it's a choice that's made, not a mere mistake, as we see with the tabloid press, who've been doing it for a century), and genuine supporters looking for fair and even coverage are tarred as guilty by association for sharing the links.

The site you open in curiosity is now indicative of a world view, and once people tire of this need to be personified by a moral mouse click, they'll slump back into their sofas and turn on the TV, or listen to the half-truths of pub chat to base their political opinions on; I fear it'll be no less full of misinformation anyway.

Maybe I woke up in a bad mood.

B1D1BC29-42E1-4BE7-AF36-B58F879DB6C2.gif

• Upvote 1

Corbyn repeating today that if May doesn’t call an election, he will trigger a vote of no confidence in government at a time they deem themselves most likely to win

He is playing with fire. We could well end up worse off if he gets it wrong. Obviously, if he has judged it right, it could be good. 

The skwakbox/breitbart comparisons are so far wide of the mark I don’t even know where to begin. A more accurate equivalent would be Guido Fawkes, which is still a heck of a lot grubbier. This “far left/far right” equating is the biggest load of bollocks going. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Corbyn repeating today that if May doesn’t call an election, he will trigger a vote of no confidence in government at a time they deem themselves most likely to win

He is playing with fire. We could well end up worse off if he gets it wrong. Obviously, if he has judged it right, it could be good. 

I don't understand the tactics of Conservative hard Brexiters and DUP. Even if Mogg succeeds in removing May, there is obviously no majority in the Parliament for their position. Can they force a no-deal Brexit, without a no-confidence vote triggering general election? If not, their best case scenario is actually to support May's deal, otherwise they may lose power in the GE and Labour would then either accept May's deal in some disguise or negotiate an even softer Brexit. And DUP will no longer be in position to dictate any demands to the Government. Should Conservatives win again, DUP may be needed again, but it is highly unlikely the hard Brexiters would have enough votes in the Parliament, unless they purge their party completely before the GE and then win on that platform.

So, I get Labour's position, they will block May no matter what she offers / delivers because they have nothing to gain and the priority is to come to power. But right wing Conservatives, I don't get what they hope to achieve.

EDIT This should have actually gone to the EU thread.

41 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It's not that relevant to this topic, but as we're talking about lying "newspapers"...

Oh dear. What a pity....

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/entry/the-sun-makes-a-huge-loss-as-the-times-turns-a-profit_uk_5c35cdb2e4b05b16bcfc3e0d/?__twitter_impression=true

Yes well, if you do insist on employing that cunt Silverlining as your Head of Strategy... 

• Upvote 3

Here's a link* to Corbyn's speech in Wakefield. It's being reported as a Brexit speech, but I reckon it sounds more like a General Election speech: he downplays the divisiveness of Brexit and emphasises things that should unite the majority of people behind Labour and against the Tories.

https://skwawkbox.org/2019/01/10/video-corbyns-full-brexit-speech/?fbclid=IwAR03GQYoF8L-DaCC3rg3fZHQFI6myyJ1zbRKawmpZkpu7ImlGDqlxEzm4JE

(* Warning - The link is from Skwawkbox, so there's a strong risk you'll become a brainwashed cultist if you so much as read the headline. )

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Here's a link* to Corbyn's speech in Wakefield. It's being reported as a Brexit speech, but I reckon it sounds more like a General Election speech: he downplays the divisiveness of Brexit and emphasises things that should unite the majority of people behind Labour and against the Tories.

https://skwawkbox.org/2019/01/10/video-corbyns-full-brexit-speech/?fbclid=IwAR03GQYoF8L-DaCC3rg3fZHQFI6myyJ1zbRKawmpZkpu7ImlGDqlxEzm4JE

(* Warning - The link is from Skwawkbox, so there's a strong risk you'll become a brainwashed cultist if you so much as read the headline. )

But you think Brexit is a fucking stupid idea and should be stopped, right? 

19 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

But you think Brexit is a fucking stupid idea and should be stopped, right? 

Yes.

And I know that half the population of the country disagree with that. I also know that the Tories will never stop it: they're Hell-bent on the hardest of Brexits, because that would be playtime for the disaster-capitalist class.

The conclusion is that our best hope - probably our only hope - is to get both leavers and remainers to vote for a Corbyn-led Labour Government (because no Labour "centrists" could win power); extend A50 and reopen negotiations; then have a referendum on the Labour deal vs. Remain.

If anyone's got any better plans for stopping Brexit, I'm all ears.

I think there's a fair bit of disagreement amongst the Tories as to how hard Brexit should be, hence the lack of unity amongst them.

I can't help but feel we're heading for another hung parliament and an endless purgatory of everyone trying to be seen to deliver the undeliverable. The best we can hope for is a change of government that brings fewer food banks and general cuntery whilst it continues ad infinitum.

A decent cold snap would swing the leave/remain figures, mind.