You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

I would love to put these traitors out of office and onto the scrapheap and face 'back to work' interviews the way they are guaranteeing millions of poorer people will be due to their own selfishness and greed. We wont forget and revenge will be a dish served as cold as a Polar Bear's Pizza.

Don't know about traitors they just believe Corbyn is a disaster, Corbyn will win his election and then I really think a clean split with a new party formed will be best for all concerned.

ba5cd08e1e74dbaee459a9f3886ce5f2.jpg

unfortunately labour voters don't really count, as they will likely vote labour no mater who is in charge (providing the party doesn't split). sadly, labour needs to win voters who went with ukip, the tories and snp in the last 2 elections if they're to have a hope of winning the GE. As much as I would like otherwise, I don't think Corbyn can carry that off. 

unfortunately labour voters don't really count, as they will likely vote labour no mater who is in charge (providing the party doesn't split). sadly, labour needs to win voters who went with ukip, the tories and snp in the last 2 elections if they're to have a hope of winning the GE. As much as I would like otherwise, I don't think Corbyn can carry that off.

Probably won't come to it now but he'd need to inspire the younger generation to turnout to vote in the same numbers as over 45s, who decide the government currently.

If the coup plotters successfully overrule the will of the party membership, then I won't be voting Labour for a long time.  Why would anyone vote for a party that thinks you're a cunt?  I doubt I'm alone in that.

I strongly suspect that politics in this country is changing rapidly.  The Scottish Referendum, the shock of the General Election, Corbyn's election campaign, the EU Referendum and its fallout and now the kerfuffle in the Labour Party have all served to politicise the general population.  More and more people appear to be genuinely interested in finding out what's going on and making their own minds up, instead of just repeating what they've been spoonfed.  That has to be healthy for democracy.  It's just worrying that the last place that still appears untouched by these changes is Westminster.

• Upvote 1

It's frustrating. The PLP couldn't have put up a decent challenger to Corbyn in last years' Labour Leadership elections? 10 months on and they still don't have a viable opponent or even a palatable alternative to Corbyn. They have told me repeatedly that Corbyn is "unelectable", and yet are so disorganised that they're likely going to lose to him again in September. Irony is that, with shiny adamantium knobs on.

• Upvote 2

A very British coup....

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/16/owen-smith-angela-eagle-labour-contest-anti-corbyn?CMP=share_btn_tw

The Labour party has been engulfed by a fresh bout of infighting as the camps of the two potential “unity candidates” set to fight Jeremy Corbyn for the leadership embarked on their own war of words.

On the eve of a pivotal week for the future of the party, one MP supporting Angela Eagle accused rival Owen Smith of using “sneaky tactics” to manoeuvre himself into being the sole challenger.

Meanwhile, a senior MP supporting Smith claimed there was an overwhelming consensus that only one candidate should emerge, and warned that currently supportive MPs would not give Eagle their nomination if she did not swiftly recognise the situation.

“Angela needs to be very careful,” said the source. “It is not a question of who deserves to be leader; it is about the best possible candidate to beat Jeremy.”

The row blew up following Smith’s public declaration in a BBC interview on Friday that Corbyn should be presented with just one challenger. The formal window for MPs to declare their support for a leadership candidate starts on Monday and finishes on Wednesday.

Smith suggested in his interview that either the deputy leader, Labour’s national executive committee or the parliamentary party could devise a process to whittle the two challengers down if they both had the required 51 nominations to go on the ballot paper.

However, sources close to Eagle immediately dismissed that suggestion, pointed out that the candidate who won the fewest nominations became leader last year and that she was “in it to win it”.

One angry MP backing Eagle described Smith’s suggestion as an attempt to “bully Angela into some sort of corner”.

He added: “Angela didn’t step aside for Jeremy and she isn’t going to do so for Owen. If he wants to stay on, it is a contest. Bring it on. Colleagues are sick of these sneaky tactics. They need to pipe down.”

A source close to Smith, who launches his campaign on Sunday, said that Smith was running a “comradely, magnanimous campaign” and that he was merely offering to engage with any process devised to choose between the two MPs in the interest of the party.

It is understood that Smith would be willing to stand aside if Eagle – who was the first to declare her intention to challenge the Labour leader – could show that she had a greater number of nominations from MPs. Smith is currently said to have the firm support of around 90 MPs and MEPs, which his supporters believe is around 35 nominations more than Eagle. A spokesman for Eagle dismissed the claim but declined to comment on the level of her support.

The row between the candidates’ camps emerged as the deputy leader, Tom Watson, in an article in the Observer, slams Corbyn, who is in favour of unilateral disarmament, saying those who vote against the renewal of Trident in parliament on Monday are putting “tens of thousands of defence engineers out of work, many of them members of Unite and GMB”.

Watson adds that those who abstain are “abdicating responsibility” on an issue of strategic defence.

Also writing in the Observer, Eagle, whose constituency office windows were smashed by a brick last week, turns on Corbyn, claiming that by settling into “a sectarian comfort zone”, he had provoked “personal attacks on MPs, [and] a string of death and rape threats and bricks through windows”.

She adds that progressive politics means reaching out to all parts of society. “Politics is not about taking sides – or, at least, it shouldn’t be,” she writes. On Saturday evening Corbyn tweeted a code of conduct for the leadership contest, insisting that no one should feel intimidated at hustings, at home or in their office.

Meanwhile in a wide-ranging interview with the Observer, Smith says that he agreed with the decision by Labour’s governing body, the national executive committee, to put Corbyn automatically on the ballot paper as it is what the members would expect.

The former shadow work and pensions secretary, however, reveals he had suggested to Corbyn that he could become president or chair of Labour, in return for standing down.

Smith, who has promised that Labour will campaign for a second referendum on the terms of Brexit, further claims that “in his heart of hearts” he believes that a credible Labour party under his leadership could still keep Britain in the EU despite last month’s vote.

Love the accusations of 'sneaky' tactics, said without any introspection whatsoever. Everyone knows the 'senior' source behind Smith is Watson, so just say so you disingenuous cunts.

Who the fuck is Tony Moreno. I've genuinely never heard of that cunt.

If you can't see why she decided to go public then I don't know what to tell you. It's pretty obvious to me why she felt she had to. Again, I'll post the video and ask you if you think it's all made up and she's just full of shit? I doubt very much a trade union official, who generally side with Corbyn anyway, is pulling off an acting performance like this to con people.

• Upvote 3

Headline from Carole Malone's piece in The Mirror reads 'Corbyn Tortures Women'. In print. I don't think they've been so brave online where it has a less sensational title.

I wouldn't wipe my arse with it, let alone try to link it.

Has he stepped down?

Not as yet.

However, I have £33.27 in my pocket and I bet that Mark is sitting at home lathered up with his favourite baby oil furiously wanking over the prospect of Corbyn being deposed, the Blairite bastard that he is.