You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Panama Papers

cloggypop

Guest Pistonbroke

This whole situation is playing into the hands of those waiting with knives to stab Cameron. Not necessarily a bad thing, but with the EU referendum around the corner it will also play into the No campaign hands as they use this to gain more support. 

I'd be utterly surprised if Cameron lasts the next 4 months as PM. 

This whole situation is playing into the hands of those waiting with knives to stab Cameron. Not necessarily a bad thing, but with the EU referendum around the corner it will also play into the No campaign hands as they use this to gain more support. 

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

• Upvote 1

I thought the same, half his own party are against him in this Euro referendum. You may be generous with your four month estimation.

Guest Pistonbroke

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

If it's Borris it will be a whole lot worse for you poor sods in the UK. 

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/04/07/george-osborne-benefited-personally-from-a-6m-tax-dodging-scheme/

Channel 4 News investigated the tax dealings of the Chancellor in 2015, and made an astounding discovery:

Chancellor George Osborne’s family business made £6 million in a property deal with a developer based in a tax haven, a Channel 4 News investigation has found.

Wallpaper firm Osborne & Little teamed up with a secretive corporation in the British Virgin Islands, to draw up plans to redevelop its former London headquarters into housing.

The companies jointly applied for planning permission for around 45 flats and houses, and once given the go-ahead, Osborne and Little sold its site to the offshore firm for £6,088,000.

A legal expert shown contracts obtained by Channel 4 News said Osborne & Little must have known the developer was based offshore, and had the potential to avoid millions in tax.

At the time, the Chancellor was the beneficiary of a family trust that owned at least 15% of Osborne and Little, so would have personally benefitted from the sale.

• Upvote 1

Bit Tory that SD.

Pretty sure you don't have to be a Tory or Tory sympathiser to make efficient use of tax law.

I know lots of people who have opened ISAs or had pension schemes, very few of whom I would categorise as Tories.

As a matter of fact, merely using your tax free personal allowance of £11,000 is technically avoidance too.

Pretty sure you don't have to be a Tory or Tory sympathiser to make efficient use of tax law.

I know lots of people who have opened ISAs or had pension schemes, very few of whom I would categorise as Tories.

As a matter of fact, merely using your tax free personal allowance of £11,000 is technically avoidance too.

Making excuses for Tories is pretty Tory.

Tax avoidance such as an ISA is fine it's specifically designed for that purpose, everyone can apply and save in there if they are lucky enough or astute enough to be able too but tax avoidance, when you create jarg company's  specifically  and use different names off shore in order to make claims that really are not meant to apply for you, isn't good financial sense it's taking the piss. There's not much difference than somebody claiming they're a single parent occupant and recieving their full allowance based on no wages coming in but really the working father of the kids lives there on the sly. They are just taking advantage of  a loophole.. good financial sense. Not really and the sad thing is they might actually desperately need the cash. Nobody with actual influence on the tax laws and being in a position to fight for or against tax measures should be involved in tax avoidance.

• Upvote 1

Tax avoidance such as an ISA is fine it's specifically designed for that purpose, everyone can apply and save in there if they are lucky enough or astute enough to be able too but tax avoidance, when you create jarg company's  specifically  and use different names off shore in order to make claims that really are not meant to apply for you, isn't good financial sense it's taking the piss. There's not much difference than somebody claiming they're a single parent occupant and recieving their full allowance based on no wages coming in but really the working father of the kids lives there on the sly. They are just taking advantage of  a loophole.. good financial sense. Not really and the sad thing is they might actually desperately need the cash. Nobody with actual influence on the tax laws and being in a position to fight for or against tax measures should be involved in tax avoidance.

They also shouldn't bum little boys but they do. 

• Upvote 1

Tax avoidance such as an ISA is fine it's specifically designed for that purpose, everyone can apply and save in there if they are lucky enough or astute enough to be able too but tax avoidance, when you create jarg company's  specifically  and use different names off shore in order to make claims that really are not meant to apply for you, isn't good financial sense it's taking the piss.

This is what they would tend to call aggressive tax avoidance. HMRC is increasingly targeting schemes of this nature, which is why all those celebs had to make massive payments the other year.

If we're talking about aggressive tax avoidance by the very wealthy, then this is the term that should be used, because the vast majority of us are involved in avoidance of tax in some way or another.

This is what they would tend to call aggressive tax avoidance. HMRC is increasingly targeting schemes of this nature, which is why all those celebs had to make massive payments the other year.

If we're talking about aggressive tax avoidance by the very wealthy, then this is the term that should be used, because the vast majority of us are involved in avoidance of tax in some way or another.

I agree. 

There needs to be a more transparency. The dad whose lives in the house on the sly hasn't got the power to change that Law and he would to benefit himself in a heartbeat, now politicians and super rich lobbyists do have that power and they make the laws flexible enough to suit their needs. I think it's an abuse. 

Would it make "good financial sense" for an economy if the sort of tax avoidance schemes that are available to the very rich were available to everyone?

SD blames Greece's people for tax avoidance as a cause of their plight, but sees no real issue with it here. Neo Liberal views are extremely fluid to be sure.
  • Upvote 1

SD blames Greece's people for tax avoidance as a cause of their plight, but sees no real issue with it here. Neo Liberal views are extremely fluid to be sure.

Are you even bothering to read my posts at the moment? The evidence is thin on the ground.

Also, once again: evasion - not the same as avoidance.

I am curious as to what type of currently legal avoidance you would characterise as equivalent or similar to evasion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_avoidance

All listed under "methods". They are loopholes left open voluntarily by and in structurally corrupt systems. They only exist because of lobbyism, cronyism and politicians profiting from them themselves. The boundary between avoidance and evasion is arbitrary.