You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Making A Murderer

Ted

Finished it last night. It was infuriating at times, and the only people who came out of it with any credit were the defence attorneys; you could tell they knew their shit. The state abusing their power is nothing new, unfortunately, and you can imagine in a small town like that corruption and bias is even more difficult to prove as it's far more close-knit, but some of it was truly staggering. There was absolutely a cover-up of some sort, way too many inconsistencies and the way the Manitowoc plod conducted themselves was abhorrent. That the key was found on the SEVENTH search and then made admissible in to evidence was actually hilarious in a morbid sort of way. How fucking incompetent do you have to be as a police department to not search a fucking tiny trailer thoroughly?

Tell you what, though. I fucking hate Avery and most of his family. The plod had it out for him, yeah, but he was a fucking piece of a shit, anyway. Threatened to kill the mother of his children, abused animals, was arrested several times for theft. Nobody deserves to be framed for something they did not do, but he deserved to be in jail, as far as I'm concerned. I did feel sorry for the kid as it's clear he was severely mentally deficient, but how could you even lie about something as horrific as that?

I honestly don't know who did it, just wish they'd all get locked up for being blerts, that's real justice.

Finished it last night. It was infuriating at times, and the only people who came out of it with any credit were the defence attorneys; you could tell they knew their shit. The state abusing their power is nothing new, unfortunately, and you can imagine in a small town like that corruption and bias is even more difficult to prove as it's far more close-knit, but some of it was truly staggering. There was absolutely a cover-up of some sort, way too many inconsistencies and the way the Manitowoc plod conducted themselves was abhorrent. That the key was found on the SEVENTH search and then made admissible in to evidence was actually hilarious in a morbid sort of way. How fucking incompetent do you have to be as a police department to not search a fucking tiny trailer thoroughly?

Tell you what, though. I fucking hate Avery and most of his family. The plod had it out for him, yeah, but he was a fucking piece of a shit, anyway. Threatened to kill the mother of his children, abused animals, was arrested several times for theft. Nobody deserves to be framed for something they did not do, but he deserved to be in jail, as far as I'm concerned. I did feel sorry for the kid as it's clear he was severely mentally deficient, but how could you even lie about something as horrific as that?

I honestly don't know who did it, just wish they'd all get locked up for being blerts, that's real justice.

Avery and his nephew had similar - if not identical - IQ. They're both effectively retarded.

I think at this Juncture it's pretty safe to say people are posting spoilers, so here's some more, well not totally, I actually beleive he's guilty, but there was corruption along with it, and becuase of that he should have got off with it. I've read almost everything that's been out about this now, and although there's plenty of things that don't add up, I fail to see how the murder and car situation could have taken place on his property without his knowledge or involvement.

It has also been mooted that  the documentray was extremeley one sided and the victim had complained of harrasment from Avery, that coincided with the testimony about her ignoring her mobile becuase of someone persistently calling her. I think the officials planted evidence because they wanted the conviction, they knew it was him but also knew with what they had he wouldn't go down, I reslly don't know what to make of Brendan but my suspicion is he played no part in any of it.

Also it was barely mentioned that in his trailer Avery had leg irons, chains, restraints, as described by Brendan, he admitted to purchasing them to use on his bird, nothing at all was made of that. He should have also bought a Harpoon and a cattle prod.

I thought it was amazing that Ken Kachinsky actually said in his summing up that the key was irrelevant - in other words, he was virtually acknowledging that it was planted!  I can't believe the defence didn't leap on that in their summing up - the prosecution are implicitly admitting the key was planted; they have lied and lied again - how can you believe corrupt police?  They may have done, of course, but we didn't see it.

Fairly or not, the documentary hinted at the involvement of the victim's housemate and ex-boyfriend. Or is that a false memory?

Randomly knew her password to log into her mobile phone records, and also randomly gave a camera to some bint and told her to search the Avery lot for the car.

Dodgy. As. Fuck.

I think at this Juncture it's pretty safe to say people are posting spoilers, so here's some more, well not totally, I actually beleive he's guilty, but there was corruption along with it, and becuase of that he should have got off with it. I've read almost everything that's been out about this now, and although there's plenty of things that don't add up, I fail to see how the murder and car situation could have taken place on his property without his knowledge or involvement.

It has also been mooted that  the documentray was extremeley one sided and the victim had complained of harrasment from Avery, that coincided with the testimony about her ignoring her mobile becuase of someone persistently calling her. I think the officials planted evidence because they wanted the conviction, they knew it was him but also knew with what they had he wouldn't go down, I reslly don't know what to make of Brendan but my suspicion is he played no part in any of it.

Also it was barely mentioned that in his trailer Avery had leg irons, chains, restraints, as described by Brendan, he admitted to purchasing them to use on his bird, nothing at all was made of that. He should have also bought a Harpoon and a cattle prod.

As described by Brendan?  Or as found by the police during their search and suggested to Brendan?  "You used the leg irons and chains didn't you?" etc.

I'm not convinced of Avery's innocence but I am convinced that the prosecution's version was utter bollocks. 

Just finished it and I don't think he committed the crime but not going on the stand went against him. If you've got nothing to hide, why wouldn't you?

Something that the show didn't mention and according to Wiki, which we all know is 100% accurate, is that one of the jurors was a parent to a Manitowoc Deputy sheriff and another jurors wife was a Manitowoc County clerk. Hardly impartial!

There is so much that stinks about both court hearings but I do not think the truth will ever get out.

I feel very sorry for Dassey

Surely a retrial needs doing if nothing else to nail the bent cops who have blatantly planted evidence.

I think I'm in the group that suggest Avery was guilty but the police fabricated and or planted evidence to seal the conviction. I too am not sure what to make of Brendan.

Since I finished the show I also keep trying to pronounce 'Manitowoc' in my mind over and over and its doing my head in.

• Upvote 1

He looks the type too, that goes along way in my book.

A mate of mine sat on a jury in Liverpool.  The woman sat next to him said she thought the defendant was guilty.  My mate had smelt a rat from the word go - the police had fitted him up.  He turned to the woman and asked her how she came to the conclusion he was guilty.  She replied that the police wouldn't have arrested him if he hadn't have done anything.

Twelve good men and true.

• Upvote 2

I think I'm in the group that suggest Avery was guilty but the police fabricated and or planted evidence to seal the conviction. I too am not sure what to make of Brendan.

I just don't get this, the case against him has so many holes in it's actually illogical to think he could have done it.

Anonymous do tend to deliver, I hope they come to the party.

Thinking back what other evidence was there on Brendan, he can't really of been sent down on that confession alone surely, considering his confession did not match any evidence. There is no way she was tied up throat slit and shot in the head in the bedroom. Add the fact he genuinely was coerced it's on bleeding film. Can a false confession get you life.

The confession was definitely the central piece of evidence.  The phone call home, too.

Persuading people who had already made their minds up due to media briefings and the preceding Avery case wasn't the most difficult challenge the prosecutor had faced.

The case was prejudiced before it even went to trial.

Didnt want to comment any more on this show until I had finished watching the whole series.While I am not the least bit surprised at the outcome its the audacity of the US to call itself civilised when this kind of stuff goes on. I suppose the novelty of this series was that this kind of treatment is usually reserved for minorities and Native Americans!

On a more serious note though,I would be fuming as a bereaved family that there is a very real possibility that the killer of their daughter/sister is still out there. I suspect that a very real suspect is among them,not necessarily one of the family but the ex boyfriend or a close family friend,for example.

The treatment of the young lad,who is obviously educationally years behind his actual age and possibly even suffers from a mental illness,is the worst thing about the whole sorry episode. This is alongside the criminal behaviour of the so called members of the 'law enforcement'community.

A very frustrating series to watch,even if brilliantly made.