You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our fullbacks

lebron

Really like the pair of them. Wanted Clyne since I first saw him at Southampton, I didn't realise he was such an accomplished defender, his final ball is lacking at times but I hope that's something he can improve on with age. He's brilliant one v one, tries to close down the cross unlike his predecessor Glen Johnson, a great tackler and of course ridiculously quick.

Moreno's always been a player that I knew would come good, you look at him he has all the tools. He's a more exciting player than Clyne, some of his last ditch tackles and recovery pace have been a sight to behold. He links well with the attacking players and provides genuine width down the left flank.

After the despair of watching  Johnson for most of last season interspersed with a few grim cameos form Toure I didn't think I could be  as happy as I am with our full backs today.  Clyne is a great signing and fair play to Rodgers for that.  On the other hand he threw Moreno under a bus after about 5 minutes and he's now showing real promise under Klopp.

Could do with a properly fit Flanno and Enrique back but don't hold out too much hope there

Enrique played 45 minutes for the U-21s against Benfica on Friday night so isn't far off a return

He's been playing the odd game for the U21s since April, I don't think it has anything to do with fitness. It seems like he's just seeing out his contract, West Brom had scouts watching him play for the U21s in September.

I thought I'd heard somewhere he was basically fucked by his injuries for top flight football and on wages he'll never get a fraction of elsewhere, so the club and himself had all but agreed to him seeing his contract out, being piggy for piggy in the middle training games, helping bring out the orange slices, being the guy you get tied to with the bungee harness to do the strength exercises and the like.

• 3 months later...

have been going somewhat under the radar in our recent upturn of performances/form. I absolutely love that we've now got two players with immense recovery pace playing regularly in our back four. They are not flawless by any means; Clyne's passing is sometimes sloppy, and I'd like to see more from them in attack, but my god they are quick. Navas and Sterling got absolutely nothing out of them yesterday. I've always been a champion of "pace is overrated" in football, but in some positions it's vital. Being a fullback in this league is a harder and harder test in terms of pace and fitness, I think our previous good fullbacks like Arbeloa and Finnan would have struggled quite a bit when facing the likes of Sterling, Navas, Bolasie, Zaha etc. Having a well drilled back four always helps of course, but the security blanket the pace of these guys provides us with is great both mentally and practically.

Hopefully Enrique and Flanagan are back up to speed soon, as Moreno and Clyne are going to need a rest at some point, the effort they put in every game is not to be scoffed at.

Bumping this. Clyne's getting better and better, and him and Moreno's pace are invaluable when we're high up the pitch (which we want to be). I know the Spaniard has got his critics, but he's been very good the last couple of games. He's still a bit raw, but there's a lot of potential there for a side that wants to play on the front foot. People thinking Klopp is going to cut him in the summer are in for a surprise I think. He does some strange things that Jurgen is understandably upset by, but I think he backs himself to iron those things out.

Strange feeling not being shit scared of the opposition's counter when we have set pieces anymore. Look no further than these two for that threat to have died down. It would of course be even better if we could score from one of our own set pieces...

Edit: Clyne's our most important signing in years imo, finally a worthy successor to our branch of excellent RBs through the years.

I disagree. Sure he isn't a conventional fullback (like Flanno), but if we're going to push as many people forward as we are when we're pressing (and counterpressing) we need our FBs to have immense stamina and very good recovery pace. 

I would keep Flanno on btw, but going forward I fully expect him to be 3rd choice (covering for both Clyne and Moreno) and Moreno to be our starting LB next year as well. I trust Klopp to iron out some of his rashness/over-eagerness.

Can't understand why Klopp wants to play Moreno. He is useless in defence. Watch the goal Palace scored against us last weekend. This mong was stood just inside the penalty area, miles from anyone, in the sort of position Downing would hide in. He near gifted a goal inside the first 30 seconds and at times tonight was playing in front of Can and even Coutinho. He takes some of the worst free kicks/corners I've seen, tossing away any advantage and his passing/shooting is as rubbish as his defending. To cap it all off he induces the jitters in Mignolet at least twice a game. Our best performances lately have all been in his absence. Would rather see Clyne, Flanno and Smith as our main defenders and I'd rather Enrique in the squad than this fraud.And Gomez when he's fit again.

• 2 weeks later...

As happy as I was to see Flanagan rewarded for his hard work with a new contract and captaincy today, we need Moreno fit again. Clyne looked knackered today. Mane took the piss out of him and Phil (in particular) several times, and Martial did the same on Thursday. He's played virtually every game, so gets a pass from me. Flanagan was really poor though, and we missed Moreno's soaring pace to deal with Mane and Long.

As happy as I was to see Flanagan rewarded for his hard work with a new contract and captaincy today, we need Moreno fit again. Clyne looked knackered today. Mane took the piss out of him and Phil (in particular) several times, and Martial did the same on Thursday. He's played virtually every game, so gets a pass from me. Flanagan was really poor though, and we missed Moreno's soaring pace to deal with Mane and Long.

Agree about Flanagan,I have never really rated him to be honest. Clyne was ok defending but did look absolutely knackered due to overplaying.

Thanks Brendan you useless prick.