You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paris shootings

Lee909

Just now, rb14 said:

I don't know what that means, but it comes across as more than a little dismissive. 

You said to chill out, you then pretty much agreed with a crux of my argument so I didn't feel the need to carry on talking about it. That ok? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

I consider myself to be a progressive, in so much as I believe in racial and sexual equality, gay rights, civil rights, human rights, women's rights. that sort of thing. And it's because of this that I'll never fucking understand how many other progressives are willing to die on a hill to defend the rights of one of the most conservative, regressive, patriarchal groups in British society - aka Muslims.

I'm not talking about the extremists here, the 'radicalised fundamentalists', just the common-or-garden followers, many of whom were protesting outside schools only last year against children being taught about alternative lifestyles and sexualities, who think that girls who reach puberty need covering up in public, who think that female children having their clitoris removed lest they feel anything resembling sexual satisfaction is in any way acceptable, who think that a relatively tolerant and secular country like Britain should effectively reintroduce blasphemy laws because they feel uniquely offended by slights against their prophets and gods.

And to see progressives saying, albeit in a resigned tone, that, well, perhaps we should acquiesce to their complaints because we really don't want to offend Muslims is fucking soul-destroying.

This

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

I consider myself to be a progressive, in so much as I believe in racial and sexual equality, gay rights, civil rights, human rights, women's rights. that sort of thing. And it's because of this that I'll never fucking understand how many other progressives are willing to die on a hill to defend the rights of one of the most conservative, regressive, patriarchal groups in British society - aka Muslims.

I'm not talking about the extremists here, the 'radicalised fundamentalists', just the common-or-garden followers, many of whom were protesting outside schools only last year against children being taught about alternative lifestyles and sexualities, who think that girls who reach puberty need covering up in public, who think that female children having their clitoris removed lest they feel anything resembling sexual satisfaction is in any way acceptable, who think that a relatively tolerant and secular country like Britain should effectively reintroduce blasphemy laws because they feel uniquely offended by slights against their prophets and gods.

And to see progressives saying, albeit in a resigned tone, that, well, perhaps we should acquiesce to their complaints because we really don't want to offend Muslims is fucking soul-destroying.

The aggressive following of their belief is a simple mechanism that allows them to justify (cover up) a multitude of shameful rituals and acts.

Take it away and its just looks controlling, paranoid and at times barbaric behaviour    

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Dave D said:

The aggressive following of their belief is a simple mechanism that allows them to justify (cover up) a multitude of shameful rituals and acts.

Take it away and its just looks controlling, paranoid and at times barbaric behaviour    

Which isn’t unique to Islam, they are all at it.  I joke about Scientology but they are perhaps as bad as it gets (without killing someone). 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Liberal white people often lose their moral compass when it comes to ethnic minorities. Look at the war in the Congo, probably the most awful conflict of our lifetimes with maybe 5 million dead including at least a million children. Barely a squeak of protest in the West but when it comes to significantly lesser atrocities committed by other white people like, dare I say, the Israelis, there’s shrieks of outrage. It’s not double standards, it’s a complete absence of standards when it comes to commenting on other ethnicities. 

Oh yeah, global outrage at Israels atrocities... yeah right. 

22 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Oh yeah, global outrage at Israels atrocities... yeah right. 

Haven’t there been more UN resolutions against Israel than any nation? And middle class white people in the U.K. seem to be quite obsessed with it.  I mean, how many other countries flags are paraded at Labour marches? 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think it’s unarguable that the outrage amongst the liberal left re the Palestine situation has been disproportionate compared to the numbers of people killed elsewhere in the world in the same period. The Congo war killed 5.2 million people compared to at most 32,000 who have died in the various Israeli/Palestine wars since 1948. That’s 162 dead Africans for every dead Palestinian. Or you can add in the 800,000 killed in Rwanda live on our tv screens every night whilst the west stood by and watched.  Our collective resigned indifference to dead Africans speaks volumes about how uncomfortable we are about criticising ethnic minorities committing atrocities. 

The wrong brown people. 

26 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Haven’t there been more UN resolutions against Israel than any nation? And middle class white people in the U.K. seem to be quite obsessed with it.  I mean, how many other countries flags are paraded at Labour marches? 

Israel / Palestine is not so much a middle class thing, it has featured prominently on the Left for decades, among other things, because of the Israel's strategic partnership with the US. Palestinians were seen as natural allies, even more so when they were lead by left-wing secular parties. First thing I bought as a  statement when I started following politics as a precocious kid was a Palestinian flag sticker in one of the many collection drives.

Also, in general, Israel is seen as part of the West and as a Western democracy it is held to higher standards of human rights abuse.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Why have the UN never gone in? 

21 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think it’s unarguable that the outrage amongst the liberal left re the Palestine situation has been disproportionate compared to the numbers of people killed elsewhere in the world in the same period. The Congo war killed 5.2 million people compared to at most 32,000 who have died in the various Israeli/Palestine wars since 1948. That’s 162 dead Africans for every dead Palestinian. Or you can add in the 800,000 killed in Rwanda live on our tv screens every night whilst the west stood by and watched.  Our collective resigned indifference to dead Africans speaks volumes about how uncomfortable we are about criticising ethnic minorities committing atrocities. 

Do you not think there is a financial purpose that the mainstream wester media don’t report these atrocities as they should? 

We criticise the Saudis all the time. It feels we focus on the atrocities closer to home or to those we deal with as tactical allies with a keener eye because our government will so readily turn a blind one. Joe Biden said he'd treat the Saudis like the pariahs they are when he was on the election trail, changed his mind instantly when he won. There is an arrogance on our behalf that the west should do better so we demand better from ourselves and our allies in some small hope it might change. Really though our leaders don't give a fuck the world we've made is a machine that needs to keep turning and if the price is human life so be it. 

There's so much horror going on you wouldn't know where to start or end. We hear little about the Congo but you can bet your arse we heard even less about a lot of what happened in Ireland. I dont know why people pick the fights they do or latch on to one cause over another but I bet its a more varied reasoning than being uncomfortable about criticising ethnic minorities especially when it's in lands where they couldn't really be classed as an ethnic minority but a nations people fighting each other for whatever mad reasons we fucking think of to make life that little bit more hellish.

The frustration with the modern world is it just feels like we are so damn close, so capable of elevating even more of the world's people from a life of fear and poverty to one of security and potential and we are fucking it up, mostly through greed not just at the top but this disposable capitalism we all take part in, buying shite we don't need cheaply we throw away without thought, I consider myself a capitalist but this shit now the quality and standards are failing everywhere and the only shit that improves are the things that can help us take our minds away from reality. We all turn a blind eye everyday to almost everything.

11 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Israel / Palestine is not so much a middle class thing, it has featured prominently on the Left for decades, among other things, because of the Israel's strategic partnership with the US. Palestinians were seen as natural allies, even more so when they were lead by left-wing secular parties. First thing I bought as a  statement when I started following politics as a precocious kid was a Palestinian flag sticker in one of the many collection drives.

Also, in general, Israel is seen as part of the West and as a Western democracy it is held to higher standards of human rights abuse.

It’s absolutely a middle class thing.  It’s easier for middle class Labour voters to wave a Palestinian flag than sympathise with poor people in the U.K.  obviously ignoring the genocidal aspects of the Palestinian leaders is quite easy too. Apparently. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s absolutely a middle class thing.  It’s easier for middle class Labour voters to wave a Palestinian flag than sympathise with poor people in the U.K.  obviously ignoring the genocidal aspects of the Palestinian leaders is quite easy too. Apparently. 

That whole post is absolute bollocks mate 

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We criticise the Saudis all the time. It feels we focus on the atrocities closer to home or to those we deal with as tactical allies with a keener eye because our government will so readily turn a blind one. Joe Biden said he'd treat the Saudis like the pariahs they are when he was on the election trail, changed his mind instantly when he won. There is an arrogance on our behalf that the west should do better so we demand better from ourselves and our allies in some small hope it might change. Really though our leaders don't give a fuck the world we've made is a machine that needs to keep turning and if the price is human life so be it. 

There's so much horror going on you wouldn't know where to start or end. We hear little about the Congo but you can bet your arse we heard even less about a lot of what happened in Ireland. I dont know why people pick the fights they do or latch on to one cause over another but I bet its a more varied reasoning than being uncomfortable about criticising ethnic minorities especially when it's in lands where they couldn't really be classed as an ethnic minority but a nations people fighting each other for whatever mad reasons we fucking think of to make life that little bit more hellish.

The frustration with the modern world is it just feels like we are so damn close, so capable of elevating even more of the world's people from a life of fear and poverty to one of security and potential and we are fucking it up, mostly through greed not just at the top but this disposable capitalism we all take part in, buying shite we don't need cheaply we throw away without thought, I consider myself a capitalist but this shit now the quality and standards are failing everywhere and the only shit that improves are the things that can help us take our minds away from reality. We all turn a blind eye everyday to almost everything.

You consider yourself a capitalist?