You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

So if the EU create an armed force that wasn't going to happen when the UK was in it(we still are of course)then wouldn't it have been safer and better to remain part of it? Then they wouldn't have to 'attack' us!

The EU army is not simply a matter of defence, NATO takes care of that, for now. It is about allocation of costs and command and control.

Sour grapes springs to mind, think I'll let the fume die down a bit and swerve this thread till something happens EU related.

Have a boss weekend everyone and cheer up you remainers.

Don't answer questions which might require making difficult concession and instead go on about bad losers and remainers. And repeat.

Worraknobhead.

Decent powerful leader of the opposition and an election could be months away.

Or, more likely, opposition remains in disarray while the media give the Tories a free pass leading to an election whitewash.

I don't think we're getting rid of these cunts any time soon.

• Upvote 1

Bar trade and free movement what does the EU give us that we could not do for ourselves?

Bearing that in mind it gives any reasonable person a position from which to start to negotiate.

If it was me I would continue to allow free movement in return for a free trade agreement. Politically that is where the problems start because the altered image is that our biggest problem is immigration. Therefore no trade deal will be reached.

Until we as a nation can come to a rational understanding of immigration and deal with its undoubtedly negative effects in certain areas and media circles nothing good will come off Brexit. In the short term.

Long term on leaving the EU we need to effectively mirror the social policies of our European trading partners and not establish the U.K. as some sort of haven for exploitation and low tax.

The Tories however will exploit our perceived freedom as free reign to lower wages, rights and social services to vunerable people. It is imperative therefore that the Labour Party gets its fucking act together sharpish and starts to lead the agenda and act now before we all have to react.

Bar trade and free movement what does the EU give us that we could not do for ourselves?

Bearing that in mind it gives any reasonable person a position from which to start to negotiate.

If it was me I would continue to allow free movement in return for a free trade agreement. Politically that is where the problems start because the altered image is that our biggest problem is immigration. Therefore no trade deal will be reached.

Until we as a nation can come to a rational understanding of immigration and deal with its undoubtedly negative effects in certain areas and media circles nothing good will come off Brexit. In the short term.

Long term on leaving the EU we need to effectively mirror the social policies of our European trading partners and not establish the U.K. as some sort of haven for exploitation and low tax.

The Tories however will exploit our perceived freedom as free reign to lower wages, rights and social services to vunerable people. It is imperative therefore that the Labour Party gets its fucking act together sharpish and starts to lead the agenda and act now before we all have to react.

Ha ha so it'd be fucking easier to stay in!

No mate we need an effective opposition. One with ideas of trade and social justice. A leader with aspirations to govern a united nation happy to trade with the EU and the rest of the world.

Not a country on an every narrowing road to a United States of Europe. Good luck to them but that is not something I want to be part of.

I do not want to share democratic decision making with Albania and share resources such as fishing with countries with no sea border.

I want power to come down not go up. A federal Europe even a federal U.K. Would be my ideal. Every citizen in touch with people in positions of power.

Not Mr and Mrs Kinnock, Kinnock jnr and no doubt his missus soon enough.

The EU is a grand principal but a shit practical example of power sharing.

No mate we need an effective opposition. One with ideas of trade and social justice. A leader with aspirations to govern a united nation happy to trade with the EU and the rest of the world.

Not a country on an every narrowing road to a United States of Europe. Good luck to them but that is not something I want to be part of.

I do not want to share democratic decision making with Albania and share resources such as fishing with countries with no sea border.

I want power to come down not go up. A federal Europe even a federal U.K. Would be my ideal. Every citizen in touch with people in positions of power.

Not Mr and Mrs Kinnock, Kinnock jnr and no doubt his missus soon enough.

The EU is a grand principal but a shit practical example of power sharing.

None of things that you want or we need are happening anytime soon.

To summarise, we're fucked and leaving the EU was a huge mistake.

None of things that you want or we need are happening anytime soon.

To summarise, we're fucked and leaving the EU was a huge mistake.

Excuse my ignorance but how were they happening in the EU.

I don't get this idea that what I want is not possible so let's let some no ones in Brussels decide on our future.

Fuck off. We decide what happens here. Empower people. Skint people. Normal people.

Build stuff, make stuff, invent stuff, design stuff. It is what we have always done without a political union to Europe.

A lot of the remain people, of which most of my friends and family are, seem to think that The UK never existed before European Union. Brace yourselves.

Sour grapes springs to mind, think I'll let the fume die down a bit and swerve this thread till something happens EU related.

Have a boss weekend everyone and cheer up you remainers.

Wait, what????

Do you even know what that expression means?  

A lot of people here said a Leave vote would be bad for the UK.  It is panning out pretty much the way "Project Fear" said it would.  Meanwhile, you're still chatting shite about "we're safer out of the EU" and all this EU Army fixation - while refusing to back up any of your claims or answer any questions about them.

And then you wonder why people get exasperated enough to resort to insults.

Rights.

The logic of capitalist competition is always a race to the bottom.  Every competing company or nation has to seek whatever competitive advantage it can; typically, this is at the expense of workers' safety and rights, consumer rights, the environment, animal welfare, etc.  The EU provides a legal framework of rules of competition, which allows nations to agree minimum standards beyond which no company or nation can go.

52% of the UK electorate pissed away the competitive advantage of having unfettered access to a market of 350 million people.  That means that UK firms will have to find another type of competitive advantage.  The most likely one (and the one which best fits with the ideology of the cunts who are negotiating this) is making UK production cheaper (by stripping workers of their rights) and less regulated (which increases risks for consumers and the environment).

• Upvote 1

Anny - your vision of a decent and powerful Opposition Leader is not one that exists, or can exist, in the real world, where a tiny handful of tax-dodging billionaires dictate the opinions of millions of people.  

The next step in your vision - a country in which people are empowered and are able to invent and build our way through whatever the future throws at us - is even further removed from reality.