You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

11 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Some fella was on r4 yesterday, think he was an old advisor of johnson,was saying Brexit is done and dusted and is a vote winner. 

Was it Gnash? 

Seriously, though, I don't think it's got any more legs as a vote winner: my guess is that supporters have moved on and opponents are still sore.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-uk-lorries-stuck-customs-b1990961.html?r=9569#comments-area

Obviously amazing benefit of Brexit, British red tape delaying products required by British businesses to sell to other British businesses and individuals. Added to the Bristol coffee shop worker getting a pay rise, it's actually better than anyone said it would be.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Post the article. We don't all subscribe to the FT. 

Neither do I, I had it on one of my two a month freebies. Its the same basic stuff, labour shortages caused by various factors pushing up wages but also pushing up the rate employment agencies charge for workers.

Edit; retailer Next had bumper year but issues warning then moaning about wage rises, raised its pay by 5.4% last year. Next profits last year, £700 million.

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

So now EU workers were stealing IT jobs too?

I thought they were just stealing farm jobs or other low wage, low skill employment. 

23 minutes ago, skend04 said:

So now EU workers were stealing IT jobs too?

I thought they were just stealing farm jobs or other low wage, low skill employment. 

Eu workers do not and did not  "steal" anything, a lot of unscrupulous employers used eu free movement to pay both home based and eu workers a lower rate than their real value, your chicken boss billionaire mate being one of the main villains.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/sep/28/revealed-exploitation-of-meat-plant-workers-rife-across-uk-and-europe

Awaits the people blaming the above problem on poor people receiving Universal Credit not being able to afford to shop for better quality meat from Waitroes.

45 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Neither do I, I had it on one of my two a month freebies. Its the same basic stuff, labour shortages caused by various factors pushing up wages but also pushing up the rate employment agencies charge for workers.

Edit; retailer Next had bumper year but issues warning then moaning about wage rises, raised its pay by 5.4% last year. Next profits last year, £700 million.

CWU just accepted (with no meaningful consultation)  Santander's offer of the square root of fuck all, despite record profits. Other unions, with greater consultation, are also settling for real-terms pay cuts.

The trade union movement, generally, is shackled by repressive laws and deliberately burdensome red tape and has had all the fight beaten out of it by nearly 12 years of Tory rule.

To those low-paid people in specific sectors currently benefitting from long-overdue real-terms payrises due to Covid/Brexit-related staff shortages, I'd say what I've always said "Recognise it for the temporary bump it is and enjoy it while it lasts". Market forces of supply and demand have never worked in the medium/long-term interests of workers and they're not about to start now. 

My worry with your insistence that low-paid workers are reaping the rewards of Brexit is that other working class people might be similarly gulled and might follow through on the logical next move, which is to gratefully vote for the people who "got Brexit done".

20 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

CWU just accepted (with no meaningful consultation)  Santander's offer of the square root of fuck all, despite record profits. Other unions, with greater consultation, are also settling for real-terms pay cuts.

The trade union movement, generally, is shackled by repressive laws and deliberately burdensome red tape and has had all the fight beaten out of it by nearly 12 years of Tory rule.

To those low-paid people in specific sectors currently benefitting from long-overdue real-terms payrises due to Covid/Brexit-related staff shortages, I'd say what I've always said "Recognise it for the temporary bump it is and enjoy it while it lasts". Market forces of supply and demand have never worked in the medium/long-term interests of workers and they're not about to start now. 

My worry with your insistence that low-paid workers are reaping the rewards of Brexit is that other working class people might be similarly gulled and might follow through on the logical next move, which is to gratefully vote for the people who "got Brexit done".

I've read reports that some are predicting labour shortages in this country till at least 2030, so this "temporary bump" as you describe it may not be as temporary as you describe. 

https://www.bigissue.com/news/employment/labour-shortage-to-grow-to-2-6-million-workers-in-2030/

My fear is that instead of embracing these overdue wage rises, some on the right of the Labour Party (who should have fucked off to Change Uk) will rally against the new reality and push the lower paid into the arms of the tories.

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I've read reports that some are predicting labour shortages in this country till at least 2030, so this "temporary bump" as you describe it may not be as temporary as you describe. 

And what do you think the response of Tories and employers will be to those labour shortages?

[Hint - It will absolutely not be to improve pay and conditions in the long term.]

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

And what do you think the response of Tories and employers will be to those labour shortages?

[Hint - It will absolutely not be to improve pay and conditions in the long term.]

Different issue and further down the track but the torys are planning to recruit cheap labour from India which should be an open goal for the Labour Party.

I cannot believe that Gnasher hasn't bumped this today after the latest set of business data is out today. 

Fall in real wages, staffing shortages, rising inflation, with tax hikes and raising of energy price caps to come?

He's usually ripping his cock off at such news 

On 15/01/2022 at 10:55, Gnasher said:

Different issue and further down the track but the torys are planning to recruit cheap labour from India which should be an open goal for the Labour Party.

WOW!!! Nobody seen that coming, I bet in 1500 pages nobody said the Tories would just replace the Eastern Europeans with cheaper labour from further afield and give them fuck all rights. I strongly suggest Bristol coffee man saves that extra tenner because the Tories have his replacement lined up.