You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

8 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

I know this, but what I’m saying is if parliament vote to reject a no deal, that takes the no deal off the table so if an extension isn’t granted, we have no choice but to withdraw Article 50. Is that how you see it?

Right. As I understand it, Parliament voting to reject No Deal doesn't mean that No Deal is taken off the table. It will still happen, unless there is withdrawal of A50 or an extension.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog said:

Right. As I understand it, Parliament voting to reject No Deal doesn't mean that No Deal is taken off the table. It will still happen, unless there is withdrawal of A50 or an extension.

An extension can only be granted by the EU. Withdraw art 50 essential means remaining and taking part in EU elections in May, I think.

Just now, Strontium Dog said:

Hmn. I feel like it is taken off the table, but I guess we'd have to look at the vote itself, see what the wording is? It's an interesting one though, because nobody seems to want to leave without a deal, and if Parliament vote against it - which they surely will - then I can't see us leaving without a deal. That would be unlikely, I feel. I'm just not 100% sure exactly what the protocol is on this. 

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

I was speaking to a QC on Twitter last night and that's exactly what he said.

Just now, Hank Moody said:

It has already been roundly rejected twice. So I feel like that won't fly. 

It's May though, I wouldn't put it past her to try and sneak it through again. Appeal to her remain faction to vote it through as it'll be no deal otherwise, and to her ERG loons that unless it goes through, there's no Brexit.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

But if parliament votes to reject no deal, and there’s no extension, we would have to withdraw article 50? 

I genuinelu dont kniw the answer to that. Maybe @Strontium Dog knows?

The terms of Article 50 are robust and clear.  No withdrawal agreement and you leave after two years.  By invoking Article 50, Theresa May started the clock for the two year time period referred to in paragraph 3.  Article 50 does not concern itself with the Parliamentary or constitutional procedure of member states.  This is an EU matter so the ultimate authority is Article 50.  It does not matter if Parliament rejects no deal, that has no bearing on how matters proceed pursuant to Article 50.

The only options we have are to unilaterally revoke Article 50 or go cap in hand begging for as long as an extension as the EU will allow.  There is no way May will revoke Article 50, the Daily Mail simply won't allow it.  So we will have to beg for a long extension in order to sort all the mess out.

This has all been done in a topsy turvy manner.  All of her "red lines" garbage needed to be resolved before Article 50 was invoked.  That's what Donald Tusk was getting at when he tweeted about a special place in hell for starting this procedure off without a clear plan.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Needs to be done in line with our parliamentary procedures, that was the judgement from that court case. There's no need for a referendum, especially since the Gina Miller case said that it's an advisory instrument only.

It was triggered by May alone, can it be revoked by her? The reason I ask is i can't see a vote for it's withdrawal passing.

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It's May though, I wouldn't put it past her to try and sneak it through again. Appeal to her remain faction to vote it through as it'll be no deal otherwise, and to her ERG loons that unless it goes through, there's no Brexit.

Someone already said in the coverage yesterday May's deal would probably go through if voting was anonymous.

Just now, Mudface said:

I guess it's possible, but so pointless. She is, after all, a complete fucking cunt who is putting herself before the country. I think we are going to the EU, asking for an extension. I think we need a good reason to ask for it though, why would they say 'yeah, drag it out more and ask for the same thing again'. It's pointless.  

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

The terms of Article 50 are robust and clear.  No withdrawal agreement and you leave after two years.  By invoking Article 50, Theresa May started the clock for the two year time period referred to in paragraph 3.  Article 50 does not concern itself with the Parliamentary or constitutional procedure of member states.  This is an EU matter so the ultimate authority is Article 50.  It does not matter if Parliament rejects no deal, that has no bearing on how matters proceed pursuant to Article 50.

The only options we have are to unilaterally revoke Article 50 or go cap in hand begging for as long as an extension as the EU will allow.  There is no way May will revoke Article 50, the Daily Mail simply won't allow it.  So we will have to beg for a long extension in order to sort all the mess out.

I understand all of this, TK. Perhaps I've not articulated myself, as you're the second person to recant the basics to me. I'm saying, if the extension is rejected by the EU, AND Parliament votes against No Deal, then - regardless of Article 50 being clear - the government are then bound to listen to Parliament's vote on No Deal, which then leaves one of two possibilities as I see it. First, the government revoke Article 50. Second, try again to get an extension with a different reason (for example, time for a second referendum). Or, of course, ignore parliament and go out by default. 

10 minutes ago, Mudface said:

She definitely will put it back to parliament, it'll be before the EU grant an extension, on the assumption they do. Speculation appears to be as soon as next Monday.

Just now, Jairzinho said:

What's the point in the vote for taking "no deal" off the table?

It will, surely, instruct government on what to do. It doesn't impact Article 50, of course (which some people seem to think is what I was suggesting) but it should surely instruct government, otherwise there would be no point in wasting the paper. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

I guess it's possible, but so pointless. She is, after all, a complete fucking cunt who is putting herself before the country. I think we are going to the EU, asking for an extension. I think we need a good reason to ask for it though, why would they say 'yeah, drag it out more and ask for the same thing again'. It's pointless.  

The thing is, so far, everyone has been largely irresponsible, it was all just domestic politics, JRM et al want to replace May, May wants to stay and keep her party together, Corbyn just wants GE and show the government is incompetent, DUP wants to shout never never never. When hard Brexiters are actually faced with no Brexit or soft remainers with no deal, they might change their position.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hank Moody said:

I understand all of this, TK. Perhaps I've not articulated myself, as you're the second person to recant the basics to me. I'm saying, if the extension is rejected by the EU, AND Parliament votes against No Deal, then - regardless of Article 50 being clear - the government are then bound to listen to Parliament's vote on No Deal, which then leaves one of two possibilities as I see it. First, the government revoke Article 50. Second, try again to get an extension with a different reason (for example, time for a second referendum). Or, of course, ignore parliament and go out by default. 

If the EU reject the extension we leave this month, come what May.  

4 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

It will, surely, instruct government on what to do. It doesn't impact Article 50, of course (which some people seem to think is what I was suggesting) but it should surely instruct government, otherwise there would be no point in wasting the paper. 

In fairness we've already had a non-binding vote against no-deal but as you say it's a political instrument. Wouldn't be surprised if the EU come back and agree to an extension but only if it's for two years.

2 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Yeah, I disagree with that. I think May, having been instructed by Parliament, revokes Article 50. 

There will be no appetite for revoking Article 50.  I don't see it as an option.  

You're contradicting yourself now. "If they reject an extension, but we get an extension".  

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The thing is, so far, everyone has been largely irresponsible, it was all just domestic politics, JRM et al want to replace May, May wants to stay and keep her party together, Corbyn just wants GE and show the government is incompetent, DUP wants to shout never never never. When hard Brexiters are actually faced with no Brexit or soft remainers with no deal, they might change their position.

True, but the instigator of all this is May herself. She could have tried to build a cross party consensus on what Brexit actually meant, have it planned out and then invoke Article 50 and proceed in an orderly fashion. Doing that she could have bypassed the ERG and got Labour on side.

But she decided to play to the gallery and be 'strong and stable', called a snap election to try and 'crush the saboteurs' which she completely fucked up, then excluded everyone to the point where successive Brexit secretaries were resigning because they couldn't go along with her plans. She hasn't managed to bring her own cabinet together, never mind her party, the House or the country because she is an incompetent, weird autocrat with no capacity for compromise- exactly the sort of person you don't want negotiating something as complicated as this against an entity like the EU who hold all the cards. 

• Upvote 6