You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our greatest centre back of the Premiership era on Goals on Sunday

JohnnyH

Grenade? Indisputable I'd say, my favourite ever Liverpool player, a gentleman and a legend. 

Amazing that he'd been knocked back by Leeds, Spurs and Oldham before Ged picked him up, all I knew about him was that his name sounded funny on Actua Soccer on the PlayStation. 

Then I saw him in the Carlsberg Cup for us, majestic. After a decade of keystone cops defending to see this giant of a man, like a benign Ivan Drago seemingly floating in the air with a forehead that seemed to be magnetised for footballs was just a joy to behold. 

Never flapped, never flustered, always two steps ahead of everyone he was facing. It was all the quiet interceptions he pulled off too, for every last ditch crunching tackle there was a moment where he'd spotted danger half way up the pitch and nipped it in the bud. 

Incredible player. 

• Upvote 4

£2.6m

There was still some crazy fees flying about around the millennium as well so to get such a top player for next to nothing was unheard of then. Not wanting to take the thread off course but £20m for Lovren in comparison?

Outstanding player and an outstanding professional.

Ho! 

First game with proper commentary. Andy Grey and Alan Parry? 

It was Barry Davies.  The box for the first Actua Soccer game has a photo of him on the back sitting in a room with egg cartons on the wall and large headphones on.

Actua Soccer 2 was an improvement on the complete disgrace that was the first game, but it was still unacceptable when set against the likes of ISS Pro.    

£2.6m

There was still some crazy fees flying about around the millennium as well so to get such a top player for next to nothing was unheard of then. Not wanting to take the thread off course but £20m for Lovren in comparison?

Outstanding player and an outstanding professional.

I'd still start Sami ahead of Lovren tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

It was Barry Davies.  The box for the first Actua Soccer game has a photo of him on the back sitting in a room with egg cartons on the wall and large headphones on.

Actua Soccer 2 was an improvement on the complete disgrace that was the first game, but it was still unacceptable when set against the likes of ISS Pro.    

51801-Actua_Soccer_(E)_(v1.1)-1.jpg

That's the cover I had.  All I remember about the game is if you made a sub the player who came on looked identical to the one hooked.  

• Upvote 1

Made defending look piss easy.

Managed to talk himself out of loads of bookings with his Ivan Drago grin.

I remember seeing a list once and he was sandwiched between Kinkladze and the Russian from Everton and Manchester United in some shit list of "overseas premier league players".

Shamefully under-rated by opposing fans.