You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rome

Lurtz

If you are in the city centre then walk, dont bother with cabs and public transport. With the exception of the Vatican all the big attractions are walking distance Its maybe 40 minutes from the colluseum to the Spanish steps but along the way you've got the Forum, Trevi Fountain, Vittorio, Pantheon, pizza nuvona etc.

Gelato by the Trevi fountain

Avoid the river its crap and the dont go for a coffee in Piazza del popolo at the top of the trident, you are paying three times the price for the view.

• Upvote 1

Watch out for blokes walking around with bunches of roses, avoid eye contact with them at all times, twats.

If you're after a cheap drink, check out Mr Brown, it's about 4 Euros for a cocktail that will blow your head off.

Other than that, you'll love it, great city.

• Upvote 1

don't get a metro day ticket. you will hardly go on it and its 1.50 euro's for 100 minutes. 

if you get a chance try and find the 4:20 bar. Its on the same side of the river as the vatican, a bit more southern but very close to the river. best beers in rome , just shit loads of choice. well priced and a boss atmosphere. 

• Upvote 1

You going with your bird redders? If so dont walk down the road directly opposite the spanish steps. Its full of prada, gucci etc so unless you want to spend half an hour waiting while your bird looks in every fucking window muttering about you not being a pro f***baller then avoid it

You going with your bird redders? If so dont walk down the road directly opposite the spanish steps. Its full of prada, gucci etc so unless you want to spend half an hour waiting while your bird looks in every fucking window muttering about you not being a pro f***baller

My missus wasn't speaking to me walking down there. While we were walking down the steps the daft bint failed to avoid on of the twats with his roses. I could see what was going on but she's already taken 2 roses off him. I attempted to give him 2 euros (all the change I had) to get rid of him, - he then demands more and won't take the flowers back. She ends up giving him about 5 euros. Apparently the whole thing was my fault for offering him money.

My missus wasn't speaking to me walking down there. While we were walking down the steps the daft bint failed to avoid on of the twats with his roses. I could see what was going on but she's already taken 2 roses off him. I attempted to give him 2 euros (all the change I had) to get rid of him, - he then demands more and won't take the flowers back. She ends up giving him about 5 euros. Apparently the whole thing was my fault for offering him money.

Hahaha fucking nightmare arent they. Them steps are a let down anyway plus their is a big fuck off advert for pasta or some shit at the building above them which takes away any of the class.

Trevi fountain had scaffolding up but would like to have seen it.

Cracked me up about the colliseum that did chip butty.

Rome is boss , if you like that sort of thing.

Hahaha fucking nightmare arent they. Them steps are a let down anyway plus their is a big fuck off advert for pasta or some shit at the building above them which takes away any of the class.

Trevi fountain had scaffolding up but would like to have seen it.

Cracked me up about the colliseum that did chip butty.

Rome is boss , if you like that sort of thing.

Yes, life partners are a fucking nightmare.

How long you going for Redder? If time's precious, then of the biggies I'd prioritise the Pantheon (wow!), Forum, Colosseum and the Palatine Hill in that order. You can get a bucket seat for the last three as they're next to each other, and the Palatine gardens are an oasis in the madness that is Rome. Night life is better in the northern end of Trastevere (across the river) - better/ trendier bars and decent restaurants at reasonable prices.

St Paul's Cathedral left me cold to be honest - it's just a fuck off big church with garish shite everywhere at the end of the day. AND, the fuckers make the nuns and priests queue with the rest of plebs like me to get in. Outrageous! You need a whole day and infinite patience to deal with the Vatican properly.

Edit: Ah, you're there a weekend. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The pronounce spaghetti bolognese, "spaghetti bolognese" so watch out for that.

You what? How the fuck would you know what you were ordering?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Eat spaghetti bolognese... I thought I'd made that kind if clear? I even showed you how to say it.

I could well go a plate of that now. With fucking loads of parmesan. And garlic bread, made from chiabatta. Fuck yeah.