You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loic Remy

WhiskeyJar

Agreed. I don't have anything against any of the four players, but they'd lack creativity and goals as a midfield playing together.

Exactly.

You need players who will run around and harry the opposition, play the simple ball quickly and cleanly? Our central midfield has that in spades.

You need goals if the attackers aren't providing them?

You need to slow the game down, show a bit of leadership and tactical nous?

You need some big tackles to show the opposition who's boss?

You need some creative dribbling and passing should you be faced with an opposition who also presses, or a team parking the bus?

You need to compete in the air against a team hoofing it?

Um.....let's just hope Can is up to it.

Exactly.

You need players who will run around and harry the opposition, play the simple ball quickly and cleanly? Our central midfield has that in spades.

You need goals if the attackers aren't providing them?

You need to slow the game down, show a bit of leadership and tactical nous?

You need some big tackles to show the opposition who's boss?

You need some creative dribbling and passing should you be faced with an opposition who also presses, or a team parking the bus?

You need to compete in the air against a team hoofing it?

Um.....let's just hope Can is up to it.

I get where you're coming from, and broadly agree about the one-dimensionality of a midfield of Gerrard, Henderson, Allen and Milner, but I think you're stretching it a bit here to make a point.

Even if, in some mad world, we bought Milner, there's no way we'd set up a midfield with just those four. It's rare enough to see Henderson and Allen together. They're surrounded by more creative players, and the addition of Lallana is somewhere between the two types.

Goals should come from Sterling, Markovic, Coutinho, Lallana and hopefully Henderson.

Slowing a game down is more a question of coaching than personnel. Poor sides manage it all the time, and Rodgers got his Swansea side doing it perfectly with far less talented players.

You don't need big tackles, you need to win possession. We crippled the Arsenal midfield not by kicking one player into the stands but by consistently pressing. We did the same against the supposed burliness of Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho.

As for competing in the air, well the onus falls on the defence, as few sides lump it long to a CM.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I was stretching the point a little, and I doubt we'll get Milner anyway. But we really are, at the moment, relying a little bit too much on Can being something special.

Basically, we'll set up with Gerrard-Henderson, and then 4 players in front (or beside) them, with one of Lallana, Coutinho or Sterling taking up that attacking midfield slot (though Rodgers did try Allen there on occasion - shudder).

But if Gerrard goes down, a central two of Allen and Henderson is far too one-dimensional, and Lucas is done. That leaves Can. Let's hope he is good.

Yeah, I was stretching the point a little, and I doubt we'll get Milner anyway. But we really are, at the moment, relying a little bit too much on Can being something special.

Basically, we'll set up with Gerrard-Henderson, and then 4 players in front (or beside) them, with one of Lallana, Coutinho or Sterling taking up that attacking midfield slot (though Rodgers did try Allen there on occasion - shudder).

But if Gerrard goes down, a central two of Allen and Henderson is far too one-dimensional, and Lucas is done. That leaves Can. Let's hope he is good.

I don't reckon we'll set up like that though. I see it more likely to be 4-1-4-1, with Gerrard in his new role.

In front of him a central pairing of Lallana and Henderson, with Cou, Sterling and Markovic able to drift inside. I don't think anyone's relying on Can to make the difference.

I think the key idea is fluidity, Rodgers has shown that he doesn't favour a traditional AM / DM partnership, preferring to even out responsibilities. 

We may not have one midfielder who'll get 15 goals, nor will we have a DM who'll stop anyone from approaching the back four, but if we can get 5+ goals from several figures and have them all contributing defensively then we'll cope far better when we have to rotate.

• Upvote 1

I think he'll comfortably score 20 league goals for us.  Always thought he was a more than decent finisher, and 14 in 26 for a desperately average Newcastle team last year bodes well given the amount of chances we create and threat we carry on the break.

Was thinking back earlier to when he was just plain old "Wemy" in the dark days of 2010, and seemed to me an unrealistically exotic hope in comparison to crushingly depressing links with names like Carlton Cole and Ola Toivonen.  Another nice little reminder of our progress in recent years, that it's the smart business adding a player of his pedigree to the squad represents at the reported fee, which is more attractive than the signing himself. 

Not fussed that he's supposedly a tit either so long as he produces for us on the pitch, been a few of them playing for us down the years to very good effect.

• Upvote 2

He just won't get enough league games to score 20 league goals. He won't start 20 games in my view. Even if he played every game he'd have to be a very good player to get 20 goals.

Hope you're right and he does score 20 league goals, mind. Would go some distance to making up for the loss of Suarez.

20 league goals during his entire LFC career we're talking, right?

I may well be being over-optimistic, but we create a hail of chances and I'll be surprised if he doesn't start getting among the goals quickly.  If he does, we all know how much being backed by Liverpool fans can get a striker buzzing and take them beyond what they've done elsewhere.

• Upvote 2