You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

If he signs for Manchester United I hope he contracts alopecia

And bad Aids

Why is he waiting until then Peter. Everyone told me he could sign ages ago and went out of their way to say so.

Why are you calling him Peter? Have I missed something?

He's discovered Dr Nowt is actually Peter Sutcliffe.

Fair enough... the resemblance is uncanny

It's a forum meme to call people by thir first name to consolidate in-group affinity and create new categories of us and them.

Couldn't agree more, David

Why is he waiting until then Peter. Everyone told me he could sign ages ago and went out of their way to say so.

The Bosman ruling, and all players' ability to sign a pre-contract with a foreign club but not one with a domestic club in the last six months of their existing deal, have only been widely known about for 20+ years.

When can he officially negotiate or sign for a PL team? I would have thought he could have legally signed a pre contract by now if he wanted to.

It’s a weird weird scenario, whatever you think of him he’s played for Bayern Munich, played in the CL with Leverkusen, he’s had 4 years 2 of which he’s been a regular in the starting XI at one of the biggest clubs in the world, a German international and is only what? 24? And at the moment is basically without a club and it’s all gone silent with him. Juve keep saying they’re hopefully signing him next week and he could have signed for a PL team by now if he was, I could be wrong but he can sign for anyone in the world at the moment yet he hasn’t. Something fishy’s going on, that’s why I suspect it could be Utd but more likely City and wants to announce it so he can go straight there instead of signing now and having to wait infuriating our fans.

I’ve said before but maybe he signed a pre contract with Juve months ago and is trying to get out of it somehow with his lawyers working overtime because at the time maybe City weren’t interested but now are or he’s seen how far we actually progressed this season and wants to stay.

Woolster said he thinks he could sign a pre-contract with an English club one month before his existing deal with us runs out, so around 1st June appears to be the best guess.

My comment however was unrelated to what he's legally able to do.  I just had a similar thought to yours that he may be waiting to be a completely free agent before signing for a direct competitor, as if he were signing for Juve as has been constantly reported, he's been entitled to do so via pre-contract since January 1st.

No way he stays now, the club have already announced that he's leaving. I don't believe there would be a wriggle out of a pre contract agreement unless there was just cause so it would probably cost millions to get out.

Most likely is he's staying in England and cannot sign until his contract is fully up. Most likely is City rather than United.

*pedantic alert*

Well, he is on our "Released List", but that is a list of players who are not under contract for the following the season that we have to provide to the Premier League on a set date, we haven't actually "announced" that he is leaving, and he could still extend/re-sign with us

A Pre-contract agreement is not necessarily an actual contract, I believe it depends on the  terms in the pre-contract and how close they are to an normal contract (eg wages and term), so there could be wiggle room, but it depends.

*pedantic alert over*

My feeling is he is staying in England and going to City too.

Trying to bury bad news on a busy news day ? When are England due to go out of the World Cup ?

The sooner, the better,so that they can't be shoe horned into every game in the tournament. Mexico v Germany commentator 'And here is Tony Kroos whose Grandad was in the Luftwaffe and bombed a pub in Blackpool. I bet Gareth Southgate and the England team will put that right versus whoever tomorrow night.' Oh please fuck off and let us watch two decent teams will you!