You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thanks for the ride - we go again

Captain

Close, but no cigar.

I just want to give full credit to Brendan and his staff and players for the season we've just had. It's been an incredible ride.

Despite the small disappointment of not being champions, it feels fantastic to be in a two horse race for the title on the last day of the season. If you'd told me before the season we'd be in contention on the last day, I wouldn't have believed you.

As a last note, I never feel sorry for professional footballers. But today I feel sorry for Steven Gerrard. I really, really hope we can climb one more place next season.

God knows he deserves it.

• Upvote 15

Going through all kinds of emotions today and, for that matter, the last few weeks. 

I am proud because I never expected this season to turn out as it has, but am absolutely gutted that it slipped away as it has. We have won 19 of the last 25 games and still it was not enough, it's heart-breaking. 

In any case, the worst thing today was watching it and realizing how much I still miss going to Anfield. I have been away for 7 years now and have never 'got over' not going to matches and the lap of honour today just had me in floods of tears and I am a grown man. 

This club MEANS so much, more than I ever imagined when I went week in, week out.

Let's have a break, dust ourselves down and go again.  

• Upvote 4

To echo captains thoughts. Great season, I believed this season and that is something I have not had for a long time. It feels great to be associated to this club. A big thank you to Brendan, the players and my LFC brothers and sisters.

• Upvote 1

So, just thinking about next season and "going again," where do you think the bookies will have us in August?

I'd be surprised if we're third favourites, even, once the memories of how brilliant we were this season fade.  Obviously Chelsea and City will be favoured to come ahead of us, but I suspect by the end of their spending spree United might be as well.  Maybe even Arsenal if they pull off a shock purchase or two.

Which, for me, is a good thing.  Let them think this was a one-off.  Let them imagine that the last 18 months (because it wasn't just this season, let us remember, we've been at the top of the league pretty much ever since Coutinho/Sturridge came in if you take out the first half of that season) was just a fluke, a flash in the pan.  I saw posts on the BBC today that we went from 2nd to 7th once, and "it will happen again next season."  Good, I hope the pundits and the fans of other clubs all think the same.

Then we come into next season having replaced our fullbacks (our main weakness this season) and added quality and depth up front and in the middle and shock them all over again.

Really?

You went into this season thinking we would win the league?

Nope. But if we managed to get into such a position I didn't  expect we'd then throw it away in such a shockingly naive and unprofessional manner. I'm not really sure why people are so keen to excuse that. A team might grow in experience, but they don't acquire intelligence in so easy a fashion. 

I feel a bit hollow with the way things have panned out over the last few weeks, but I'm sure time will cure that.

One positive - it take a lot more money to bring in top class attacking talent, and there's no guarantee Diego Costa or Edinson Cavani  or any other blue chip flavour of the month will adjust properly in England. If we get to September 1st with the same attacking players, we'll be right up there again. Pretty clear where we need to improve.

He might be feeling differently inside but reading Gerrard's comments after the match he seems fired up to give it another crack next season and I hope we can go that extra mile for him to shut those cunts up who give him abuse these last couple of weeks.

I can't wait for next season already. The World Cup is a good watch but I'm just thinking about next season now.

Nope. But if we managed to get into such a position I didn't  expect we'd then throw it away in such a shockingly naive and unprofessional manner. I'm not really sure why people are so keen to excuse that. A team might grow in experience, but they don't acquire intelligence in so easy a fashion. 

What is the point in looking at it like that? 

Sounds like you cant get over how wrong you were about Rodgers personally. Delusions of grandeur. 

• Upvote 2

If supporting and taking pride in your team and deriving pleasure from footy requires a trophy win then 99.9% of football fans must be wasting their time then. A lot of fans have never seen a European night or come close to winning anything.

The idea that we're Liverpool and deserve to win is almost Last Night at the Proms esque, waving Union Jacks and getting misty eyed over Rourke's Drift while aircraft carriers languish in dry docks because the government can't afford to put planes on them, all the while China trains up thousands of computer hackers.

Just because we wish we were still a force doesn't make it so, there are some pretty fucking grim future realities to face here.

Close, but no cigar.

I just want to give full credit to Brendan and his staff and players for the season we've just had. It's been an incredible ride.

Despite the small disappointment of not being champions, it feels fantastic to be in a two horse race for the title on the last day of the season. If you'd told me before the season we'd be in contention on the last day, I wouldn't have believed you.

As a last note, I never feel sorry for professional footballers. But today I feel sorry for Steven Gerrard. I really, really hope we can climb one more place next season.

God knows he deserves it.

Nice post Captain.

Nice OP.

I appreciate this might come across as a tad Evertonian but we've claimed a moral victory this season. If UEFA had the balls to instruct the PL to deduct points from financial cheats we'd have won the league.

As it is, our mini-collapse cost us the trophy and Rodgers, his staff and the players have to shoulder the blame. Still a successful season though, whatever Jocky said, as our primary objective was to hit top four and we've pissed that.

Imagine what we will do next season, when we have more than 13/14 players.

We dont know how the extra games in europe will affect us but ive woken up this morning with a fuck off big grin on my face.

Ive never witnessed a liverpool team that plays in this fashion and has a core of very young players, who are already performing to a very high level. 

Not sure if everyone has seen the interview that claire did with sturridge yesterday. The desire that lad has to improve and win things is what is making me believe this wont be a 1 season wonder.

Cant wait for next season!