You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool vs Chelsea (Apr 27 2014)

WhiskeyJar

One thing that has bothered my all day today is that we only needed a draw from this game to still be in charge of the title race. Fucking does my head in really. We didn't need to attack them straight away. We could just pass the ball around in our half and wait for them to come at us. Instead we walked straight into their trap. Still though, they did fuck all to score any of those goals as they were gifted to them.

One thing that has bothered my all day today is that we only needed a draw from this game to still be in charge of the title race. Fucking does my head in really. We didn't need to attack them straight away. We could just pass the ball around in our half and wait for them to come at us. Instead we walked straight into their trap. Still though, they did fuck all to score any of those goals as they were gifted to them.

Bothered me too, I kept thinking during the match, why are we pushing forward so much? At the moment we just don't have the squad or experience to let us play any other way. 

Excellent article by Maddock. That was not anti-football that was not football at all.

and he is right about confusing our objectives. We indeed didn't need to press for the victory and get so frustrated by chelsea. We could have also settled for 0-0 and see if chelsea would try to create anything at the end and if they did so hit them hard on the counter with Sterling-Suarez-Sturridge.  

In any case we needed more anger and bullying and less frustration.

I suppose everything is a learing process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdmxV-7QvJ8

Might be taken down by the time you get to see it. Excellent analysis. Especially losing our composure in the attacking sense in the second half.

spot on as usual neville.

we never really had a go at them, didnt get suarez on the ball in and around the box and the number of shots we wasted from distance was desperate.

we have to beat palace regardless of what city do.

I don't think we were that naive - at 0-0 just before the break, a draw was still very much on the cards, and I think Rodgers may have allowed us to ease back. But then.....

Once that happened, we had to go for the goal, and we simply weren't good enough against a team build to withstand attacks. We were impatient and Gerrard had a total nightmare trying to make up for his mistake.

No slip, and we'd more than likely be talking about that 0-0 draw now.

• Upvote 1

Why would a team set up defensively against a team that is set up defensively?

I think that could've been interesting to be honest, just to see what would've happened. (with Skrtel, Agger and Sakho at the back as three of five. We can debate about it etc, but it could have worked.) We could've been fine with one point, so in theory it could've been worth a try. It would've blagged Maureen's head too. But yeah, realistically Rodgers would've been pretty insane to try it.

I think that a small positive from this will be that Rodgers may not develop a full-on messiah complex and so he might sign that contract extension with less clauses a lot sooner than he might have otherwise!

I know it's often a bad thing to do with footie, but I kind of trust him for the time being and don't think he'd let his ego get the better of him. He seems humble and respectful, and hope it stays that way.

We have been the team that scores for fun, haven't we?

You score 2, we'll score 3... you score 3, we'll score 4 or 5 or 6.

Now, with goal difference looming potentially, it's not the goals we've scored but the ones we've conceded that might finally come back to haunt us.

The SAS are good, actually they're sublime, but it now seems they might well need to score a dozen, maybe 15, in two games.

Suddenly, it's not as much fun as it looked at Stoke and Cardiff.

Helping hand, please Everton.

Irony, everywhere I look.

• Upvote 1

It was not so much the tactics, but the attitude.

To open up a Mourinho defence you need to do it like Guardiolla's Barcelona. We were waaay too polite and soft with them. We needed more anger, bullying, pushing, screaming, try to unsettle them, try to bully their young defender. That's how you succeed against this bunch of cunts. That's how Barcelona humiliated him again and again, while he was in Spain. We behaved to them like gentlemen, almost having to apologise for wanting to win and they repaid us with their usual unsporting, time wasting/faking injuries and defensive tactics.

Agreed about looking to Barcelona for a formula to beat Mourinho's negativity....but not sure about all the pushing and screaming bit. Barcelona would win by:

1) not shooting from distance

2) playing direct, short passes into players' feet waiting at the edge of the box

3) staying patient, trying some dummy runs and more one twos...

I hate to admit it, but Neville's analysis was spot on - we lost our composure and didn't look like we had a plan after going down 1-0. Could Rodgers have done something different? I doubt it - and frankly I'm not going to second guess anything he does for a long time :)

In some weird way maybe this takes a little pressure off for the remaining 2 games - hope City hiccups in the meantime...

Mourinho the genius, fuck off. Would have been 0-0 but for Stevies slip.

Alan Mcnee summed it up for me

"the last time I saw that many buses on a pitch, Evil Knieval was jumping over them. I was in line to be Chelseas defensive coach but lost out to Reg Varney"

• Upvote 2

He's talking shite there, we never took timewasting to the level shown yesterday that was ridiculous. It started in the first minute and carried on till the bloody end.

Also we were huge underdogs to Chelsea their squad in 05 was unreal. We had Biscan Le Tallec Mellor Carson Traore playing us into the final.

For that shitehawk Maureen to take one of the most expensive group of attacking players seen in England and produce the shit he has in the last few games he should be ashamed.

Wonder what Roman makes of it.

Exactly. It's frustrating for the opposition whenever a team sits deep digs in and pulls out all the defensive stops but it's understandable if the team in question knows it is their only hope because of the superior quality of the opposition. It takes a brave manager to set a team up otherwise.

If you have the resources and expensively assembled squad available to Chelsea and the manager has recently attacked fellow premiership managers with a fraction of their resources for shutting up shop at Stamford Bridge then it's an embarrassment.

Its fucking embarrassing, but ultimately its up to the officials to deal with. Teams do it because you can waste 10 minutes, and the ref will add two minutes on, and only start booking players in the last five.

Yet another easily fixable shit trait in football.

Want to eliminate players going to ground in the box under the slightest of contact? Give penalties when players stay, or try to stay, on their feet. Like Dowd did, and with playing on first (excellent reffing as Poyet said).

Want to eliminate anti-football, time wasting, shithouse cheating? Tell every player before kick off that it won't be tolerated. If a goalkeeper takes more than 10 seconds to take a goal kick he'll get booked. If he does it again, he'll be sent off.

You can't change this shit by trying to appeal to people's morals. Its a multi billion pound industry and many of the owners, chairman, managers, and players are borrowing Pol Pot's moral compass. They don't give a fuck, and who can blame them. You have one bad game and it can cost you £50m, or your job.

Apply the mother fucking rules.

• Upvote 8

Yet another easily fixable shit trait in football.

There's the crux. It hurts most right now because Chelsea spent the game doing it, but it pisses me off when I see us time-wasting most of the time, or it's in a game between two neutral teams. It's flipping a bird to the fans.

Twenty seconds for a player to wipe the ball down with a towel, 15 to 20 times a match, how is that not stopped. Not booking the player that stops the quick free-kick by standing over the ball. One to two minutes for teams to line up to face a free-kick. No rule for playing on, like in rugby, around a player with a probable pretend injury. /Meldrew.

There's the crux. It hurts most right now because Chelsea spent the game doing it, but it pisses me off when I see us time-wasting most of the time, or it's in a game between two neutral teams. It's flipping a bird to the fans.

Twenty seconds for a player to wipe the ball down with a towel, 15 to 20 times a match, how is that not stopped. Not booking the player that stops the quick free-kick by standing over the ball. One to two minutes for teams to line up to face a free-kick. No rule for playing on, like in rugby, around a player with a probable pretend injury. /Meldrew.

I was actually going to mention the rugby rule about playing on but wasn't entirely sure of my own opinion of it. The problem being that players that are genuinely injured, would get penalised. Player pulls a hammy, and they have to defend with 10 men for a minute or two. Don't know about that one.

On a slightly different note, the shittest method of time wasting is going to the corner. What a fantastic idea, taking the smallest area of the pitch, and attempting to retain possession there. If you want to kill a game in the last five minutes, just pass the ball amongst your back four and deepest midfielder.

I think ultimately the Premier League probably would do something if more teams starting playing like Shitcunt's do. The one good thing about having the most laissez-faire, billionaire play thing, league in the world is that rich cunts will want to protect the image of the league. Chelsea played like a Serie D team, and people around the world don't want to fucking watch Serie D.

"the last time I saw that many buses on a pitch, Evil Knieval was jumping over them. I was in line to be Chelseas defensive coach but lost out to Reg Varney"

If I could rep you 5 times for relating this above comment, A, I would.

Between you and Dave U's match report, I can't believe how much I've genuinely and heartily laughed in the face of temporary tragedy.

YNWA.

[quote name="Jairzinho" post="3766901" timestamp="1398762851" 

....Apply the mother fucking rules.An excellent post in full.

And while we are at it there could be a penalty awarded after most corners, such is the amount of pushing and shoving.

On a slightly different note, the shittest method of time wasting is going to the corner. What a fantastic idea, taking the smallest area of the pitch, and attempting to retain possession there. If you want to kill a game in the last five minutes, just pass the ball amongst your back four and deepest midfielder.

Normally I'd agree, but after Sunday...

The only thing that was weird about the game was that Chelsea (needing a win) were time wasting from the 1st minute.  What would have happened if we had gone defensive?  Would they have just looked at us passing the ball around our back 4 and let it go to a 0-0 - Mourinho is a myth, fuck him and fuck Chelsea.

• Upvote 3