You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool vs Chelsea (Apr 27 2014)

WhiskeyJar

I agree about Aspas, and his lack of game time. What's the point of him always being in the bench if he's never sharp enough to come on when it matters and make a difference?

I'm not making a case for Aspas to start, it's the principle of it, what's the point in pretending we've got an option if we never give him enough minutes to get confident?

The same fate seems to await Borini next season, who has proven that game time makes him a very good player.

Piss poor from Sturridge when he came on today, and far too casual and stupid in possession when he lost the ball fir Chelsea's second goal.

And there's people saying we need to spend £30m on a left back....

I would have liked to see Alberto instead of Aspas if he's truly on his way out. I know some people will say we've seen "too much" of him, but I personally don't think he's gotten a fair shake.

Hangover abated now, and I still feel awful. It feels just like the December loss. "I can't believe I had to fucking watch that, again." I said to myself, again. 

I think Red Knight said it best. Something to the effect of, "If that was my football club I'd stop watching."

Been too gutted to watch any of the post match shit

We were probably too naive and played straight into their hands but I was shocked how few really worthwhile attempts we had . We can't steamroller the very best defences and should learn that lesson today Feel for Stevie but they probably would have nicked a goal somewhere the way we set up. Oh and in case it hasn't been mentioned Chelsea are the epitome of all that is detestable in modern football

Still find it hard to believe that our Captain has to endure what he'll probably be going through for at least until the weekend, just doesn't seem fair at all and really makes me wonder what the point is. To top it off the best team City have to play is Everton, so we're hoping they'll make them drop points, it's just surreal to say the least.

As for Maureen, he still makes me laugh. He can be out of order but that's his own issue, he's a strange character and has made me laugh quite a bit in the past, as he did today at times. I'm sure that if Rodgers can share a laugh with him during a game like that as well, there's no need for some of us to be so angry at him. They have a good team though if they can do what they did to us and also be able to shut out Atletico at their ground. Today reminded me of when Inter knocked out Barca in the CL a bit actually as the first half was underway and you could see how well they were organized, it just seemed to have that same feeling and styles of play to an extent from early on.

If Stevie can move on from this though I'm sure the rest of us can manage it too. We've at least made sure the club is respected again properly this season so far, and that's one of the main things.

• Upvote 1

Harsh lesson this game was. We will learn from it. Good for the experience if not the soul.

If we do fall just short this time, we can be proud of what we have achieved this season. 7th place to Champions League group stage qualification in one season.

If we don't do it, please God those rent boy twats don't win it either. The slime of West London with their negative shit football being rewarded with the Premier League title would be a crime against football.

• Upvote 2

Does anyone else find it a bit weird that Rodgers chose to use Smith in the Chelsea away game and Aspas in this one as a means to try and change the game? By that I mean players who have featured next to nil for weeks before and then thrown into the action? It just seems a bit bizarre.

Obviously I'm gutted we lost this game, but the only positive I can draw is that I hope this game maybe helps Rodgers think about how we can approach games when we need to break down such a resolute defence and need to restort to a plan B.

I don't think anyone is blaming him anyway, but I'm gutted for Steven Gerrard, he's given his absolute all and it could happen to anyone. I'm sure he's not feeling that way tonight but he has absolutely no reason to apologise.

Personally I think City will go on to win the league now sadly but one bad day shouldn't make us lose focus on just how far we've come. I just hope we can continue similiar form next season and our big chance hasn't passed us by.

Still find it hard to believe that our Captain has to endure what he'll probably be going through for at least until the weekend, just doesn't seem fair at all and really makes me wonder what the point is. 

Mate, if we don't win the league it will be the highlight that follows Gerrard the rest of his life.

It wasn't Chelsea who stopped us today. It was our own mindset. Everything has been going more or less our way for months now and then we ran into some trouble and couldn't deal with it because we finally played a side that could defend properly, which is so rare in this league it's a fucking joke now. A lot of teams love to sit back and defend but hardly anyone of them are good enough, which has probably hampered the performances of English teams in Europe when they face better organised sides.

If I'm to criticise something in this game it is not the unfortunate mistake on the first goal, but how we responded to it and how certain players were trying to correct the mistake all on their own instead of us playing properly and waiting for our opportunities we just kept banging on their door the same way throughout the second half. We didn't play very well, but we weren't shit either. Very strange game actually.

I've also seen a lot of complaints about Aspas. But what were you expecting from a player that has barely been on the pitch for the last four months? Why the fuck have we brought on Moses so often when we knew he wouldn't even be available for this game (and because he is fucking shit). Why not let Aspas have a few minutes at Norwich or maybe even just fill in for Sturridge from the start. No, we had to bring on Victor Does Fuck All instead. This probably annoys me more than it should but when we lack options besides SAS why the hell doesn't we give our only other striker a chance to get some sort of match form? He's obviously off in the summer but he's here now and he could have done a job if he was allowed to.

Oh and if we don't win the league I would be pleased to see City win it. They are a totally different class to those cunts we played today, both on and off the pitch.

Agree with everything for the most part bar the last bit, also Aspas was given chances earlier in the season and just wasn't good enough, he tries though so like Cissokho it's hard to fault him too much. I won't be pleased at all if City win the league, we've been the best team in it for quite a while now and that it can all come undone via an unfortunate error and shithouse "tactics" is devasting. The only plus to it being City rather than Chelsea is that their manager appears to have some class and they actually play football.

Mate, if we don't win the league it will be the highlight that follows Gerrard the rest of his life.

Maybe, but anyone knows that you can't reduce what a player like Stevie has done to one mistake like that. If people want to remind him of it and be overly negative he shouldn't let it get to him. And some players might do things like that and win next to nothing in their career, or even nothing at all, so at least he doesn't have that on his head either.

I'm so proud of our boys. They've been magnificent this season. After so many wins on the bounce it was bound to come unstuck at some point. 

My take on the game:

Chelsea are the most cynical team I've ever seen.  Their sponsor should be Warrior - we come not to play.  They showed up, parked the bus - two buses in fact, and then disgracefully wasted time the whole game from practically the first minute. I am not in the mood to give credit, but it has to be said that they were defensively excellent. Ivanovic was the man of the match for me. Defending and being organized is part of the game. They came and did what they had to do. They shut down the space and kept us at bay.  

I didn't like their approach. Not one bit. I hope the press continue to pick up on it and they get a real label for being a defensive team. It's small time. All that money spent. And all Abramovich has to show for it is a slightly better drilled Tony Pulis team. I can only hope Atletico park the bus against them this week and nick a goal through an error. I'm happy enough to enjoy a little schadenfreude now and again, especially at their expense. 

What about us?

The biggest thing I can say is that we looked tired. The shortcomings of a smaller squad were on display for all to see today. The midfield has not looked right since we lost Henderson. I’ve read some of the to-ing and fro-ing over Lucas in the last few pages. I can’t criticize him as he worked for the team in a position that’s not his best. But having said that, while he has been a very good player for us, I do think we need an upgrade in the summer. He is not the same after two big knee injuries. He is a nice fella but it’s a tough old game. That’s how I see that one. Stevie. Henderson. Allen. And another top class midfielder to come in. If that happens I don’t see Lucas getting too many games. Italy would be a good destination for him as it is a bit slower. I’d like to see him reunited with Rafa. Anyhow, back to the game.  

It would have been lovely if Sakho didn't sky that shot over the bar early on. But other than that I'm struggling to think of a clear chance we had. We huffed and puffed and kept trying to knock on the door, but they limited us to long range efforts. You need fresh legs if you are going to have much success with shooting from distance, and most of our efforts just looked a bit tired. The one good shot I do remember came from Joe Allen. Excellent technique. 

Besides efforts from distance we also had set pieces and lots of crosses, but Ivanovic in particular seemed to relish that side of the game. 

Their goal was a mistake from Stevie. The slip came as he tried to react to letting the ball roll under his foot. It was a mis-control, compounded by a slip, that led to their goal. The second goal was irrelevant as we chased an equalizer at the death. 

NOW is the time for another speech from Stevie. Or, as he's likely feeling down, I hope another leader steps up in the dressing room. Or maybe it will be the message from Rodgers. WE GO AGAIN. It will be a great shame if we splutter to a halt now. Lick our wounds, get some rest this week, and beat Palace and then the Barcodes. Who knows what that might bring? We might yet be champions. It's in Man City's favor, but this has not gone yet. WE GO AGAIN. 

I'm gutted about today, but my last thought has to be the same as my first. I'm so proud of our boys. They have been magnificent this season. 

YNWA.  

• Upvote 4

That Gerrard slip can be put right in the next couple of games. I don't think it was the defining moment as at 1-0 down it was all still to play for and we came up short. It obviously effected Stevie as he was tacking pot shots from everywhere in the second half when a pass would have done. He will bounce back in the next game thats for sure.