You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

How is that the height of our ambition when we have signed Markovic ands Lallana?

Jesus. The team is greater than the sum of all its parts and all that. People were moaning when signed Sturridge. Who knows how he would fit in and adapt to BR's coaching methods.

Nah, it's just far, far easier to moan about players who've never played for us, in a season that hasn't even begun.

• Upvote 2

How is that the height of our ambition when we have signed Markovic ands Lallana?

Jesus. The team is greater than the sum of all its parts and all that. People were moaning when signed Sturridge. Who knows how he would fit in and adapt to BR's coaching methods.

You need to fuck right off with this Lallana shit. He's a £25m signing where no other CL team was in for him. This window's Borini/Allen if you like.

Also Rodger's turned down Sturridge in the summer to sign Borini and Allen so again that one was purely an accident even though he had shown more glimpses of his talent when he was given the opportunity at Bolton.

The club is pissing its money away on bang average players and have not a clue how to sign a top player.

You need to fuck right off with this Lallana shit. He's a £25m signing where no other CL team was in for him. This window's Borini/Allen if you like.

Also Rodger's turned down Sturridge in the summer to sign Borini and Allen so again that one was purely an accident even though he had shown more glimpses of his talent when he was given the opportunity at Bolton.

The club is pissing its money away on bang average players and have not a clue how to sign a top player.

Sturridge played for Bolton in 2011, skend, not 2012.

Also the fact no other teams may have been in for Lallana is neither here nor there. He's a Rodgers type player if ever there was one. He'll be good for us. Far better than Borini ever was.

Sturridge played for Bolton in 2011, skend, not 2012.

Also the fact no other teams may have been in for Lallana is neither here nor there. He's a Rodgers type player if ever there was one. He'll be good for us. Far better than Borini ever was.

It doesn't matter when Sturridge played for Bolton my point was that at Premiership level he showed more than enough to warrant him being signed over Borini and Allen when he was given the opportunity.

And I'll concede you are boring. This thread operates better when there's mass hysteria. We need more hysteria!

Some people on here need to keep their overrated, hysterical opinions to themselves. Read this and shut the fuck up moaning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10986443/Liverpool-will-not-waste-Luis-Suarez-cash-on-buying-star-names-says-manager-Brendan-Rodgers.html

Brendan Rodgers says he will continue to snub stellar names unless they fit the ‘right profile’ for Liverpool as he continues the £100 million reshaping of his side in the wake of Luis Suárez’s exit.

While some of the world’s biggest clubs pursue their obsession with marquee purchases, Rodgers says he would rather save funds than waste his money on vanity products. He was speaking in Boston, where Liverpool lost 1-0 to Roma in a pre-season friendly at Fenway Park on Wednesday night. Franco Borini, the subject of a potential £14million move to Sunderland, was substituted with a nasty-looking shoulder injury during the game but Rodgers later assuaged fears that the problem was serious.

Liverpool are flush with the largest transfer kitty in their history and are likely to have a minimum of eight new recruits by August, the next of which Rodgers hopes will be the Southampton centre-half Dejan Lovren and Chelsea left-back Ryan Bertrand. The London club are resisting an £8 million bid for Bertrand, which Liverpool believe demonstrates how much more of a title threat they are now perceived as being.

Loïc Rémy is with the Liverpool squad in Boston to become the fifth summer signing, following Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert, Lazar Markovic and Emre Can.

Liverpool have been conspicuous by their absence in auctions for some of the stars of the World Cup, but Rodgers says his recruits were long-term targets, subject to diligent scouting and referencing rather than being assessed for their ‘name’.

“They are all big signings for us because they will all make a big contribution,” Rodgers said. “Maybe for the media there is guessing how we spend the money but you only spend the money if the players are there. What we can’t do is spend for the sake of it. The players we’ve brought in are players we wanted anyway.

“Our signings are strategic. They are not just names. They all fit into the purpose of the team, but of course we want them to make a contribution. If that means we do not spend all the money or the net spend is the same, then so be it.

“There is a responsibility [to spend well]. I have always said at every club I’ve been at, the club’s money is my money. I work for the club. I’m there to serve the club and run it the best I can on the field and work with the owners off it. They know I push for the best players to come in and they trust how we work. I would not pay more than a value. If clubs sense there is an opportunity to get more out of us it won’t happen. We are very unified in how we work in that way.

“There is money available but we know spending money does not guarantee success. Last January everyone was crying out that we needed more signings. We never signed anyone. OK, we might have done one or two but it was not a major factor in us not winning [the title].”

Lallana is the most expensive deal so far at £25 million, but Rodgers rejects the idea Liverpool paid too much for the midfielder.

“We paid what we thought he was worth,” he said. “I spoke to enough people about him and have seen enough of him, and know enough people who had seen him and played with him to know he would be a great signing for us. I have no qualms about it. The value of British players is always pushed up. We would not go higher than we thought he was worth.

“He is a great boy. The types of players we bring in have the profile we want so the transition should be smooth. Of course it is strange for them coming into a new team, but you see it with Adam straight away, he presses for the ball when he does not have it and he has beautiful balance. He can score goals and create goals. He is a wonderful footballer. I have been impressed by his mentality and character.

“The character is important. It is not just about the player, but the right type of person. I want players that are committed to the cause to make Liverpool the best we can be. I want players resting when they should be resting, training hard and working hard and focusing on their life as footballers. We have brought in those types. It is footballing qualities and human qualities we want.”

It remains to be seen if he can add long-term target Bertrand. Rodgers thought he had an £8 million deal in January, only for Chelsea to block the sale. The London club were unhappy at how little game time Victor Moses received at Anfield while on loan last season and that has made negotiations problematic.

Liverpool are also discussing a loan move for the Atlético Madrid right-back Javi Manquillo.

• Upvote 2

Spot on,sums it up so far it's not good enough.

It doesn't matter when Sturridge played for Bolton my point was that at Premiership level he showed more than enough to warrant him being signed over Borini and Allen when he was given the opportunity.

And I'll concede you are boring. This thread operates better when there's mass hysteria. We need more hysteria!

Allen isn't comparable. Borini is, though, and I agree with you there.

What if we took that £18m added the £6m then bought Ricardo Rodriguez before we're talking about how we can't compete with Bayern or Real for that calibre of player.

He would be a great buy but with the big fee comes the big wages and this lot don't want to fork out the top wages so we are goosed.

Some people on here need to keep their overrated, hysterical opinions to themselves. Read this and shut the fuck up moaning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10986443/Liverpool-will-not-waste-Luis-Suarez-cash-on-buying-star-names-says-manager-Brendan-Rodgers.html

Brendan Rodgers says he will continue to snub stellar names unless they fit the ‘right profile’ for Liverpool as he continues the £100 million reshaping of his side in the wake of Luis Suárez’s exit.

While some of the world’s biggest clubs pursue their obsession with marquee purchases, Rodgers says he would rather save funds than waste his money on vanity products. He was speaking in Boston, where Liverpool lost 1-0 to Roma in a pre-season friendly at Fenway Park on Wednesday night. Franco Borini, the subject of a potential £14million move to Sunderland, was substituted with a nasty-looking shoulder injury during the game but Rodgers later assuaged fears that the problem was serious.

Liverpool are flush with the largest transfer kitty in their history and are likely to have a minimum of eight new recruits by August, the next of which Rodgers hopes will be the Southampton centre-half Dejan Lovren and Chelsea left-back Ryan Bertrand. The London club are resisting an £8 million bid for Bertrand, which Liverpool believe demonstrates how much more of a title threat they are now perceived as being.

Loïc Rémy is with the Liverpool squad in Boston to become the fifth summer signing, following Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert, Lazar Markovic and Emre Can.

Liverpool have been conspicuous by their absence in auctions for some of the stars of the World Cup, but Rodgers says his recruits were long-term targets, subject to diligent scouting and referencing rather than being assessed for their ‘name’.

“They are all big signings for us because they will all make a big contribution,” Rodgers said. “Maybe for the media there is guessing how we spend the money but you only spend the money if the players are there. What we can’t do is spend for the sake of it. The players we’ve brought in are players we wanted anyway.

“Our signings are strategic. They are not just names. They all fit into the purpose of the team, but of course we want them to make a contribution. If that means we do not spend all the money or the net spend is the same, then so be it.

“There is a responsibility [to spend well]. I have always said at every club I’ve been at, the club’s money is my money. I work for the club. I’m there to serve the club and run it the best I can on the field and work with the owners off it. They know I push for the best players to come in and they trust how we work. I would not pay more than a value. If clubs sense there is an opportunity to get more out of us it won’t happen. We are very unified in how we work in that way.

“There is money available but we know spending money does not guarantee success. Last January everyone was crying out that we needed more signings. We never signed anyone. OK, we might have done one or two but it was not a major factor in us not winning [the title].”

Lallana is the most expensive deal so far at £25 million, but Rodgers rejects the idea Liverpool paid too much for the midfielder.

“We paid what we thought he was worth,” he said. “I spoke to enough people about him and have seen enough of him, and know enough people who had seen him and played with him to know he would be a great signing for us. I have no qualms about it. The value of British players is always pushed up. We would not go higher than we thought he was worth.

“He is a great boy. The types of players we bring in have the profile we want so the transition should be smooth. Of course it is strange for them coming into a new team, but you see it with Adam straight away, he presses for the ball when he does not have it and he has beautiful balance. He can score goals and create goals. He is a wonderful footballer. I have been impressed by his mentality and character.

“The character is important. It is not just about the player, but the right type of person. I want players that are committed to the cause to make Liverpool the best we can be. I want players resting when they should be resting, training hard and working hard and focusing on their life as footballers. We have brought in those types. It is footballing qualities and human qualities we want.”

It remains to be seen if he can add long-term target Bertrand. Rodgers thought he had an £8 million deal in January, only for Chelsea to block the sale. The London club were unhappy at how little game time Victor Moses received at Anfield while on loan last season and that has made negotiations problematic.

Liverpool are also discussing a loan move for the Atlético Madrid right-back Javi Manquillo.

We've gone from "no problems attracting top quality" to Ryan Bertrand in 5 weeks. 30 odd starts in 8 years at Chelsea and only good enough when playing in the championship. Yes, its a Rodger's signing for sure.