You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

If you take this forums opinion for instance at the moment of each signing, were generally wrong. Rodgers appointment was treated as underwhelming, the poll for Sturridge had a much higher percentage of posters in the "do not want" category, this subsequently changed after he banged in a few goals for us and it miraculously became more even. Henderson was greeted with bafflement, Allen disappointment that we were going after Swansea players, i could go on.

I am only talking about the fans of a player's current club. The opinions of the buying club's fans will be far less informed. Generally.

If you read this forum last summer Suarez was a piece of shit and most wanted rid, in fact any outbound transfer is treated with distain. Agger was great last year and should never be sold to City, now people can't wait to get rid. Lucas was the best defensive midfielder in the premier league, now he needs to go asap. Selling a 23 year old Borini is a mistake and i bet if we sell him we'll have people on here made up we got 10 million or whatever for him, so i wouldn't read too much into it, if anything at all.

People were calling Suarez a piece of shit for wanting to leave. They weren't questioing his ability. And, if they were, they were pretty fucknig stupid.

And I really am talking about the general consensus. I think fans - outliers notwithstanding - are pretty good when it comes to judging their own players.

I know nothing of Moreno but I think fans are normally a very good indication and I am reading reports of Seville fans 'happy to drive him here themselves' for the reported price. I'm no Spanish speaker so can't verify but it doesn't sound great!

Some fans, e.g. me, are a sound judge of most players. Others are a touch out of their depth every time they hit the 'post' button.

Take Jordan Henderson, for instance. A lot of Sunderland fans thought they'd had us off because of the fee. Others were sad to be losing their best player.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Why refer to one transfer in Euros and another in pounds? It's the kind of thing tabloids do to emphasise a side supposedly overpaying.

It's reported as 22m Euros at the moment. The reason I did it was because those were the figures I read before posting.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Siquera is much older than Moreno though

And better and much cheaper. Swings and round abouts.

Half the price with less sale-on value.  I've seen Siquera a few times, he sometimes looks really good and other times a bit shit.  I haven't really seen Moreno so I can't comment on who's better.  Moreno must though have the potential to be better than Siquera is now.

He's not better though, and he's nearly 30. Siquera will be another stop gap like we always do, Moreno actually shows intent for the future of this football club.

• Upvote 1

Siqueira's going to the side that won La Liga, were a whisker away from winning the CL and are practically guaranteed CL football every year.

Rodriguez' agent said he wouldn't move until after the World Cup, if at all, and Wolfsburg aren't potless.

Moreno's far from the finished article, but the options for quality LBs are pretty thin, and even though we've come a long way, I don't think we're yet at the point where we can turn our noses up at a young Spanish international.

The point about price becomes moot if the players going for cheaper prices aren't available or interested in signing for us.

According to CIES the Swiss based football think tank who looked at thousands of transfers in the big five divisions in Europe estimate that Suarez is worth between £79.4 and £92.3 mill, if Madrid want him I hope they have fucking big pockets.

A Swiss news outlet claims Liverpool are close to agreeing a deal to bring Bayern Munich and Switzerland international Xherdan Shaqiri to Anfield.

Liverpool’s busy summer of recruitment looks set to continue apace amid reports indicating that the Reds are close to securing the signature of Xherdan Shaqiri.

According to a report from Swiss site 20 Minuten, the Bayern Munich man is all set for a Premier League switch having seemingly grown frustrated at a lack of playing time with the Bavarians last season.

Signed by Bayern from FC Basel back in February 2012 for a reported fee of €11.6 million, the 22-year-old winger has so far failed to dislodge either Franck Ribery or Arjen Robben in the Bundesliga giant’s starting eleven.

Pep Guardiola used the youngster sparingly last term, playing 17 times in the league and just three times in the Champions League as part of a campaign that has seen him rack up just 782 minutes of game time, mostly as a substitute.

But while the promising attacking player has impressed during these brief cameo appearances and is certainly considered to be part of Bayern Munich’s long-term plans, it would appear that Shaqiri is keen to move to a club where he will enjoy more regular game time.

Liverpool could therefore be the ideal destination for the midfielder with manager Brendan Rodgers keen to bring in more quality attacking players to help alleviate the pressure on the likes of Raheem Sterling and Philippe Coutinho.

And with Liverpool set to battle it out for the Premier League title again as well as making their return to the Champions League, a move to the Reds would not represent a step down for Shaqiri.

The Merseysiders target offered Premier League fans a glimpse of what to expect this week after scoring in Switzerland’s 2-0 friendly win over Peru.

For the right fee it could be a great move. He has a fair bit to prove still imo but so did Coutinho and Sturridge. I really like Lallana but £25ml is pushing it considering his age and its not exactly a biddong war for his services.

Xherdan Shaqiri’s Representatives Talk Client Departure with Bayern Munich Amid Liverpool Interest

Wednesday, 4th June, 2014

Xherdan Shaqiri's representatives have discussed the possibility of their client swapping Bayern Munich for Liverpool this summer, bringing the matter of a departure up with the German club's officials.

The Switzerland international has grown frustrated at the Allianz Arena, feeling coach Pep Guardiola overlooks him for the club's biggest games, while throwing him middling Bundesliga clashes instead.

Shaqiri, who was also linked with Liverpool last summer, recently blasted that he does not want to experience another season at Bayern Munich similar to that he has just endured.

The former Basel man also claimed Jupp Heynckes, Guardiola's predecessor, had more faith in his talents.

While Bayern Munich are not actively looking to sell Shaqiri, according to Swiss daily 20 Minuten, the player's advisors have discussed a potential parting of the ways with the Bundesliga champions, amid interest from Liverpool, who are watching matters closely.

Shaqiri is currently on international duty with Switzerland, preparing for the World Cup in Brazil.

Liverpool will move on to other transfer targets if they cannot conclude a deal for Southampton captain Adam Lallana soon, a source told ESPN FC.

- Usher: Why Lambert move makes sense

- Transfer Talk: Costa close, Lallana latest

The Merseysiders' 25 million pound offer for the 26-year-old remains on the table and their preference would be to finalise his signing soon.

But they are unwilling to raise their bid and believe the onus now lies with either Southampton or Lallana to determine what happens next.

Although Lallana is thought to be keen to move to Anfield, the midfielder is yet to submit a transfer request to force a move through.

Southampton, who have already sold striker Rickie Lambert to Liverpool, released a statement on Monday saying they wanted to put their transfer business on hold until they appoint a replacement to manager Mauricio Pochettino, who left to joint Tottenham.

It read: "Southampton Football Club can confirm that we have received multiple offers for some of our players in the past weeks. We have no need to accept any offers. We are deep in the process of appointing a new manager who will continue to move our club forward. It remains our preference not to partake in any transfers until the new manager is in place."

While a 25 million pound fee would be a club record, out-stripping the 12 million pounds they received from Arsenal for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in 2011, their position is complicated by a clause requiring them to pass on 25 percent of the proceeds of Lallana's sale to Bournemouth, whose Centre of Excellence he attended before joining Southampton.

Lallana is in England's World Cup squad and manager Roy Hodgson has said he is keen for his players to either resolve their future before they arrive in Brazil or to wait until after the tournament ends.

Liverpool are also targeting Sevilla left-back Alberto Moreno, with the Spanish club's president confirming the Reds' interest in the player on Tuesday.

Hold fire for Rodriguez.

Can't see Switzerland doing much at the world cup so it's very doubtful his stock will rise much. Those aware of him, aren't likely to use the world cup as a defining reason to launch a bid for him. It all comes down to whether he fancies the move or not. Can we get Degen to have a word? Tell him how ace our weather and slags are over here. There must be some point to having that useless cunt suck wads of cash out of the club surely. Maybe this could be it. Saying that is Degen even in the WC squad?

You may as well replace our name with Tottenham or Newcastle or United, same story, no evidence whatsoever.

The bigger picture of the Summer transfers will decide whether or not Moreno, for £18m, was money well spent. I'm very much opposed to spending so big on a full back, but let's be honest, our defence is our priority area for investment this Summer. We could end up spending £40m on defenders, and half that on attackers. And, looking at our 'for and against' record last season, it's the logical thing to do. It's just weird to have a Summer where the big marquee signings aren't attackers.

I have said it before, but I reckon it will be very hard to get players from Wolfsburg in the future, VW have really stepped up their investments last season and are showing intent. They are building a squad for the CL and I have little doubt they will be in it after next season.

Cunt of a paper but the Mail are claiming we have activate Can release clause

Liverpool are set to sign Emre Can from Bayer Leverkusen after activating a £9.75m release clause in his contract.

Brendan Rodgers has been chasing the Germany Under-21 international for a while and has been over to personally check on the player's progress.

The 20-year-old is an energetic box-to-box midfielder and should provide the Reds with extra impetus in the middle of the park.

Even Dortmund can't stop their best players from fucking off. I doubt very much that Wolfsburg could do much if the player really, really wanted to jib them.

The Bundesliga still doesn't get that much coverage, and Bayerns dominance isn't going to help it either.

A player wants to leave that badly, he will.

• Upvote 1

And Fuck yeah if we could pull that off. Shaquiri would be ace.

Get both him and Rodriguez for an all Swiss left side.

Do want. Do want badly.

We wouldn't play Shaqiri on the left. I fucking hope not, anyway.

But still, sign him up.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He's not better though, and he's nearly 30. Siquera will be another stop gap like we always do, Moreno actually shows intent for the future of this football club.

Fucking hell. Not better in the same way that Cole wasn't better than Konchesky. Just turned 28 isn't nearly 30.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Half the price with less sale-on value.  I've seen Siquera a few times, he sometimes looks really good and other times a bit shit.  I haven't really seen Moreno so I can't comment on who's better.  Moreno must though have the potential to be better than Siquera is now.

I'd genuinely question whether he does or not.