You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I’m four episodes into Ripley and I’m enjoying it. It’s slow burn and could have got where it’s going a bit more quickly, but from episode 3 it’s moved up a gear. Like you, I’m not sure why they went for black and white other than stylistically for a noir thriller vibe, but I have to say that the contrast between light and dark in Caravaggio’s paintings is stunning in black and white. It also really sets off the storm

clouds over the sea.

• Upvote 1

Not sure you can blame them for the story, which is based on Patricia High smith’s novel, but it does suffer from comparison to the film, which is excellent. Ridley’s Game is shite though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I really want to watch Ripley but, to my surprise, I recently discovered I really don't like Andrew Scott or his acting style. Does he do that thing with his mouth in this, like he's sucking the inside of his lips? 

7 hours ago, Anubis said:

Not sure you can blame them for the story, which is based on Patricia High smith’s novel, but it does suffer from comparison to the film, which is excellent. Ridley’s Game is shite though.

I am a fan of Patricia Highsmith, and have read all of the Ripley Books. The first book, The Talented Mr. Ripley is a slow burner.

I agree, The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) is excellent. Regarding Ripley’s Game, I like John Malkovic as Ripley, but the film doesn’t work set in modern times, and I dislike Ray Winstone in just about everything. Wim Wenders’ The American Friend (1977) is a far better adaptation.

10 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I am a fan of Patricia Highsmith, and have read all of the Ripley Books. The first book, The Talented Mr. Ripley is a slow burner.

I agree, The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) is excellent. Regarding Ripley’s Game, I like John Malkovic as Ripley, but the film doesn’t work set in modern times, and I dislike Ray Winstone in just about everything. Wim Wenders’ The American Friend (1977) is a far better adaptation.

Even Scum? Winstones been in some great films 

Love, Honour and Obey

Scum

The Departed 

London Boulevard 

Nil By Mouth 

I think he’s sound. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Even Scum? Winstones been in some great films 

Love, Honour and Obey

Scum

The Departed 

London Boulevard 

Nil By Mouth 

I think he’s sound. 

I like The Departed. Haven’t seen Scum in years.

18 hours ago, Anubis said:

I’m four episodes into Ripley and I’m enjoying it. It’s slow burn and could have got where it’s going a bit more quickly, but from episode 3 it’s moved up a gear. Like you, I’m not sure why they went for black and white other than stylistically for a noir thriller vibe, but I have to say that the contrast between light and dark in Caravaggio’s paintings is stunning in black and white. It also really sets off the storm

clouds over the sea.

Yeah, episode three ramped it up, finally. 

21 hours ago, Total Longo said:

I watched the first two episodes of Ripley and nothing at all has happened yet. As nice as the black and white is, it just adds to the feeling of style over substance. Worst of all, Sigourney Weaver hasn't even been in it yet, absolute con-job. 

Don't get the love-in for that Andrew Scott.

Turned Moriarty into Kevin the Teenager.

13 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

How about Alain Delon, the first Ripley?

17 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I agree regarding Malkovic. He exudes mencase as an older, more experienced Ripley. The best scene is where he's at the party and overhears Dougray Scott badmouthing him. A pity the plot is asinine, and the less said about Winstone the better. Don't get me wrong, I like Winstone in things he can shine in - Scum, Sexy Beast, Robin of Sherwood all spring to mind - but as an accomplice to a calss operator like Ripley it just doesn't work. I'd have expected Ripley to garotte him when he just showed up in his kitchen, murdereing those eggs.

8 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I really like Plein Soleil. My only gripe is, as much as I like Alain Delon, he was too pretty to be Tom Ripley. Alan Pepper is the worst Ripley. 

Yes, Delon was maybe too pretty, but he also had this aura of a man with a murky past about him. Like he lived a little before making it in the movies.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sir roger said:

Don't get the love-in for that Andrew Scott.

Turned Moriarty into Kevin the Teenager.

I think his Moriarty is one of the all time dogshit portrayals. Now whether that's on him or the writing I dont know but it was shite.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Elite said:

I thought I'd give The 3 Body Problem a go and went in with low expectations but I've watched 3 episodes and think it's fantastic.

There are definitely things to like in the show but there are some things that could have been better but overall i enjoyed it.

15 minutes ago, Elite said:

I thought I'd give The 3 Body Problem a go and went in with low expectations but I've watched 3 episodes and think it's fantastic.

Is it about Captain Willard clearing his cellar ?

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

There are definitely things to like in the show but there are some things that could have been better but overall i enjoyed it.

By all accounts the first book is the worst of the 3. Plus if it doesn't get renewed by Netflix, Prime has the Chinese adaptation of all 3 books.

16 hours ago, Elite said:

I thought the acting was shocking. Saul was the only decent person in the entire thing. As fit as she is, Eiza Gonzalez is such an annoying actress.

• Upvote 1

Ripley s1 - 6/10. I’m not as down on Andrew Scott as some of you. By then end threads are drawn which show his deviousness. There is also an inordinate amount of luck involved. But there is one massive jump-the-shark moment in the final episode which is laughably stupid. You just think, there is no way you can expect to get away with that. For that it loses a mark.

I haven’t read the Ripley books so no idea if this is in the book, but I might have a read even though crime isn’t really my thing in books.

Ripley:

{SPOILER}Didn't read the books nor watch the movies, so knew nothing going in. I don't know what the lead was trying to do, but he came off as a repellant oddball--the exact opposite of what a conman is supposed to be. How can you be charmed by someone with no charm? Which made the entire story unbelievable. The production and supporting cast were excellent.{SPOILER}