You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guitar enthusiasts.

withnail71

On 26/08/2022 at 21:44, Elite said:

I have given up trying to learn the guitar, just not something I'm good at or interested enough in. When you listen Mark Knopfler, you know to leave it to the talented people.

You shouldnt judge yourself by other people's standards. Just learn to play a few riffs and songs and be content with that. Enjoy the learning process and your own improvement.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You shouldnt judge yourself by other people's standards. Just learn to play a few riffs and songs and be content with that. Enjoy the learning process and your own improvement.

Fair point but I'm just not that interested, whereas I can draw for hours so I invest my time into that now instead 

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok long story short. I own a 1998 Les Paul Studio guitar, which I bought new in 1999. It was my number 1 guitar for about 5 yrs, before it got fucked by a bass player at a gig we did, when he unloaded a full jug of beer over the pickups as it sat in it’s case as I was packing down. Anyway it’s been languishing in a room rotting away.

I’ve decided to put full sized humbucker P-90s in it. Always wanted to try P90s, so here’s my chance. There are 3 brands that have been recommended to me - House Of Tone, Mojotone and Tonerider Rebel 90s.

Does anybody have any experience with any of these brands of pickups, better still anyone tried P90s from these companies?

My old beast

DF46BACF-003F-457C-A62C-9FB35685884D.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Do you want them to look like humbuckers? If not the Lollar Novel 90 is one of the great sounding pickups made - it fits a standard hum rout but the magnets are centered like an old P-90. They also look great and you can get them with a gold ring.

Does that git have some sort of coil tapping system, whats with the green/red lights?

• Upvote 1

On 12/08/2022 at 20:43, Bobby Hundreds said:

I've got a Gibson les Paul on my spare room wall, its nothing special but it can't be played because the thingy majig at the top of the fret board that holds the strings in place has worn down.

Did you ever buy a new nut for that thing Bobby? Pennies man.

On 11/02/2023 at 12:20, Pidge said:

Sorry, you're wondering what Liz Truss did that led to (I assume) a business loan falling through?

Were you awake in September?

I expect so little from any Tory (Have you read any of my posts on here?) that I'd never expect anything competent or beneficial to the normal person at any time. I do try to avoid current affairs for the good of my mental health though.

Back to guitars.

Anybody who wants advice on pick ups or guitars in general I suggest you try a UK based guitar forum named 'The fretboard.' It's very useful and informative on guitars and music itself. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Ok long story short. I own a 1998 Les Paul Studio guitar, which I bought new in 1999. It was my number 1 guitar for about 5 yrs, before it got fucked by a bass player at a gig we did, when he unloaded a full jug of beer over the pickups as it sat in it’s case as I was packing down. Anyway it’s been languishing in a room rotting away.

I’ve decided to put full sized humbucker P-90s in it. Always wanted to try P90s, so here’s my chance. There are 3 brands that have been recommended to me - House Of Tone, Mojotone and Tonerider Rebel 90s.

Does anybody have any experience with any of these brands of pickups, better still anyone tried P90s from these companies?

My old beast

DF46BACF-003F-457C-A62C-9FB35685884D.jpeg

Fuck thats a sexy bastard.

15 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Do you want them to look like humbuckers? If not the Lollar Novel 90 is one of the great sounding pickups made - it fits a standard hum rout but the magnets are centered like an old P-90. They also look great and you can get them with a gold ring.

Does that git have some sort of coil tapping system, whats with the green/red lights?

The nice thing about the pickups I’ve mentioned is that those P90 brands are designed to fit an existing humbucker cavity, so there’s no modification required in the finishing, after the pickup is installed. I do like the look of the so called soap bar P90s, yes. I’ll certainly look into your recommendation on the Lollar Novel 90.

As to your question, I flipped the neck pickup magnet to match Greeny’s 59 Les Paul to get his out of phase tone. Works a treat. You’ll notice the pickup itself has been reversed too, to give it the authentic look. I also removed the scratch plate, same reason. The paint job was just a fuck around one night after the guitar had already been annihilated by aforementioned evil bass dude. The screws on the plastic pickup surrounds were rusted out anyway.

8 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I love P90s.

I especially love the way they decay and then, from almost nothingness, you can use vibrato to bring it back and almost wring your guitar back into life for a moment, swelling before a final decay.

I have P90s in my own Les Paul.

If you don’t mind me asking, what brand did you install or is it a gold top?