You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Ah, yes, what am I think. D’oh. 

By letting so many sides through, they devalue the group games.

Unfortunately, if Egypt get Morocco, you can guarantee they’ll be forcing Mo to play on 1 leg. 

It is absolute bollocks - but like everything is driven by money.

A team could quite easily qualify for last 16 without winning a group game....total bollocks.

On 20/01/2024 at 08:31, Scott_M said:

They’ve effectively qualified anyway.

Hopefully the finish 3rd and get a tougher game in the last 16…

IMG_0742.jpeg

if they finish 3rd, it’s currently looking like Mali or Morocco, if they finish 2nd it’ll be Congo, Tanzania or Zambia.

Cape Verde have already beaten Ghana and Mozambique. 

If Egypt also lose to Cape Verde, they will probably go out. Even if Ghana v Mozambique is a draw, Ghana would most likely have a better goal difference than Egypt.

2 points, with a negative GD, will place them in 5th or 6th of the 3rd placed teams, which won't be sufficient to qualify for the last 16. 

1 minute ago, Razoray said:

Cape Verde have already beaten Ghana and Mozambique. 

If Gypt also lose to Cape Verde, they will probably go out. Even if Ghana v Mozambique is a draw, Ghana would most likely have a better goal difference than Egypt.

2 points, with a negative GD, will place them in 5th or 6th of the 3rd placed teams, which won't be sufficient to qualify for the last 16. 

Fingers crossed. 

22 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

The final is Feb 11 and we're not sure if he'll be fit before then. Yeah, that's not good. 

Not sure I see the huge issue. As long as he’s back soon afterwards, no issue.

He likely wasn’t making Arsenal anyway. We play Burnley the weekend of AFCON Final - so we should win that. We play Brentford away on the 17th, then Luton or League Cup Final on the 24th.

It doesn’t sound serious, I’d hope he’d be back for Brentford. Hopefully the rest does him good. 

• Upvote 1

I'm still not sure this is bad for Liverpool at all.

He wasn't going to play for us for the next couple of weeks either way, but this way, instead of exhausting himself with all these AFCON games, he's being rehabbed by physios that will have his fitness for the rest of the season as their top priority. Hopefully he'll come back fully fit and rested instead of being plugged back into our lineup with all those extra minutes in his legs.

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

He wasn't going to play for us for the next couple of weeks either way, but this way, instead of exhausting himself with all these AFCON games, he's being rehabbed by physios that will have his fitness for the rest of the season as their top priority. Hopefully he'll come back fully fit and rested instead of being plugged back into our lineup with all those extra minutes in his legs.

Lose tonight against Cape Verde, who have won their 2 other games, and they are probably going home. Without Salah, that seems likely

14 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Lose tonight against Cape Verde, who have won their 2 other games, and they are probably going home. Without Salah, that seems likely

Don't forget 4 of the 6 3rd placed teams make the knockout stages - not sure what the situation looks like with that like though.

8 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Plus it'll give him a chance to grow his hair again

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, an tha said:

Don't forget 4 of the 6 3rd placed teams make the knockout stages - not sure what the situation looks like with 

https://www.google.com/search?q=africa+cup+of+nations+standings&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&sca_esv=600376160&sxsrf=ACQVn09H2VBSmdmXZZpQZKL0s8wJG1d3lw%3A1705919897479&ei=mUWuZcbtHMyThbIPjeaZsAs&oq=africa+cup+of+nations+standings&gs_lp=EhNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwIh9hZnJpY2EgY3VwIG9mIG5hdGlvbnMgc3RhbmRpbmdzKgIIADIREAAYgAQYigUYkQIYsQMYgwEyBhAAGAcYHjIGEAAYBxgeMgYQABgHGB4yBhAAGAcYHjIGEAAYBxgeMgYQABgHGB4yBhAAGAcYHkjVC1AAWABwAHgBkAEAmAFboAFbqgEBMbgBAcgBAOIDBBgAIEE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

Not great. In two of the six groups, the 3rd place team already has 3 points. In 2 of the other groups, the 3rd placed team plays the 4th place team in the final game. Therefore, the expectation is that whoever finishes 3rd in those groups will finish on 2+ points with a better goal difference than Egypt, if Egypt lose to Cape Verde. 

16 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

That is not good. At all.

Amazing how differently people can see the same issue.  I think it's really positive.  When I first heard he went off injured with a Hamstring issue I was worried he'd be gone for months.  Now they are talking about a 2-3 weeks, and the comments about him possibly making the Final if Egypt get there is a real positive in my eyes on him not being out for too long.

Just now, JohnnyH said:

Amazing how differently people can see the same issue.  I think it's really positive.  When I first heard he went off injured with a Hamstring issue I was worried he'd be gone for months.  Now they are talking about a 2-3 weeks, and the comments about him possibly making the Final if Egypt get there is a real positive in my eyes on him not being out for too long.

If that was truly the case there would be no need for him to return. 

My reading is that the injury is serious enough to warrant "professional" treatment - so much so that the club feels the need to begin immediately - and there is very little chance of him being ready for any final, otherwise why leave at all?