You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burning Question: "Should Gerrard have pulled out of the England squad?

tlw content

I can see both sides, the timing is shitty.  Personally though all I care about is Liverpool and I think ultimately that's where his loyalties should lie in this situation.  On the other hand he worked really hard to become England captain and won't want to lose the armband, and he is racking up caps, overtaking legends etc.  So there's a lot to consider but at the weekend we have a derby to win, and a few more tricky games after that.  These shitty shit friendlies are shit. 

He's not going to lose the armband though is he?

He'll be captain of England for the three games of their World Cup regardless of what happens between now and then.

Its a friendly, against Germany's B team.

He's not going to lose the armband though is he?

He'll be captain of England for the three games of their World Cup regardless of what happens between now and then.

Its a friendly, against Germany's B team.

That's a fair point it's probably the caps he wants.  But you never know..  Say he sits this one out, Fat Frank or someone gets the armband and scores a hat-trick, Gerrard then gets injured, can't get the armband back because Frank is ace again..  Stranger things have happened.  

Late arriving to this debate. So apologies if I repeat anything anybody has already said.

It's hard not to feel a little aggrieved with Gerrard for not pulling out tje Germany game but I believe he will call it quits after the World Cup and it's all about matching footballing legends achievements. He matches Bobby Moore's number of caps and this is one hell of an achievement. To be put in the same bracket as England's greatest iconic captain is something that any of us would take if it were offered to us.

On the flip side first and foremost he is a Liverpool player and it's hard for me to comprehend putting the national side before his club in years gone by. But now I think he is taking every opportunity he can to achieve whatever he can while he is winding down his international career.

He's a player who deserves a Premier Leahue title and a player who deserves a World Cup or European Championship. Alas he wont ever achieve the latter two and maybe he won't get that Premier League title.

So why should we dismiss his desires to get whatever he can from his international career?

Late arriving to this debate. So apologies if I repeat anything anybody has already said.

It's hard not to feel a little aggrieved with Gerrard for not pulling out tje Germany game but I believe he will call it quits after the World Cup and it's all about matching footballing legends achievements. He matches Bobby Moore's number of caps and this is one hell of an achievement. To be put in the same bracket as England's greatest iconic captain is something that any of us would take if it were offered to us.

On the flip side first and foremost he is a Liverpool player and it's hard for me to comprehend putting the national side before his club in years gone by. But now I think he is taking every opportunity he can to achieve whatever he can while he is winding down his international career.

He's a player who deserves a Premier Leahue title and a player who deserves a World Cup or European Championship. Alas he wont ever achieve the latter two and maybe he won't get that Premier League title.

So why should we dismiss his desires to get whatever he can from his international career?

To draw level on caps with Moore is a incredible feat to achieve. I would think Stevie would want to play tomorrow if he a chance to.

Imagine how much it would haunt him if decide not to play and then gets injured ruling him out for a season or half a season.If that was the case he is unlikely to get that 108th cap.

Doesn't it depend on how Rodgers reacts?  I'd like to know his views on this.

Rodgers won't criticise an England manager in public, and he won't do that to Gerrard either. But, if we don't do well against Everton, he's got a built in excuse for players being unfit/overplayed and we'll all blame Hodgson for it anyway.

No-one appreciates the significance of the Merseyside Derby more than Gerrard, a fixture he has graced on many occasions.

But this fixture is being played for the 200th time this weekend, and hundreds have played in it.The rarity value of the Germany fixture and its history makes it special for any player.More or less special? just different I would say.

Not seeing the rationale in this at all. Is playing against Germany in a friendly (or any international friendly) really that valuable an experience to a player? Special for an English player to play against a German B team? I can see maybe for a player wanting to make an impression for a World Cup place - Gerrard's seat on the plane is all but booked.  The rarity of the fixture doesn't really come into it, I don't think. It's a friendly. Different yes, but in terms of value? The Derby is much valuable as a competitive fixture, be it the 200th or 300th meeting of the two teams, particularly where one of those players is Liverpool born and bread, and a captain. Gerrard knows what this derby means.

• Upvote 1

I get all that and I don't begrudge him his 108th cap. No-one in their right mind would. He's on a par with one of England's greatest captains now (without the trophy). But at the same time, he could have won that cap when England plays more meaningless friendlies next year in the run up to the WC.

Maybe to us fans, the derby is more important than Gerrard wanting to achieve something commendable with the national team. But Gerrard is not going to win anything with England, so he might as well play as many matches as he can and reach his milestones now before he calls time on his international career. For us, beating Everton this weekend at theirs, is more important than matching your wits against Wiedenfelder in goal for Germany or whatever his name is.

It seems to me that the main problem with the Germany fixture is that for the English, having fallen into international footballing mediocrity post 1966, it has somehow become a jingoistic extension of World War II and assumed an importance beyond reason.

• Upvote 2

86,000 at Wembley mugged to watch this  fucking bore-fest .

Other than Townsends excellent effort which hit the post have England actually had a meaningful attempt ? Germans never been out of second gear.

No doubt it will all be dressed up as a creditable performance where we were unlucky and matched the Germans. What the fuck is Sturridge doing still on the pitch. Obviously not fully fit , had a crap game and the hapless cunt Hodgson won't sub him

86,000 at Wembley mugged to watch this  fucking bore-fest .

Other than Townsends excellent effort which hit the post have England actually had a meaningful attempt ? Germans never been out of second gear.

No doubt it will all be dressed up as a creditable performance where we were unlucky and matched the Germans. What the fuck is Sturridge doing still on the pitch. Obviously not fully fit , had a crap game and the hapless cunt Hodgson won't sub him

ranting on the wrong thread apologies