You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest atk

• 2 weeks later...

cat thread / baseball thread ?

A black cat crosses the path of Chicago Cubs player Ron Santo as he waits his turn at bat in a crucial game against the New York Mets. The Cubs went on to lose this game and the pennant after having a 9 game lead. The Mets went on to win the 1969 World Series.

tumblr_loj9waxu6L1qgjplzo1_1280.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I actually watched my first baseball game last Saturday, the redsox vs the Yankees,

And I have to say, it actually wasn't that bad. Ok, it's not exactly edge of your seat excitement, but it moves along fairly quickly, so it was handy to follow,

One thing I don't understand is the strikes and "balls" thing, obviously if he swings that's a strike, but if you just stand there, is that a ball? And if they throw 3 balls, can you just walk to first base, why do they bother swinging at all then??

I actually watched my first baseball game last Saturday, the redsox vs the Yankees,

And I have to say, it actually wasn't that bad. Ok, it's not exactly edge of your seat excitement, but it moves along fairly quickly, so it was handy to follow,

One thing I don't understand is the strikes and "balls" thing, obviously if he swings that's a strike, but if you just stand there, is that a ball? And if they throw 3 balls, can you just walk to first base, why do they bother swinging at all then??

strike.zone.jpg

Red Sox still looking strong....really wanted to go to Seattle this weekend and watch them against the Mariners.

11081115.jpg

I hate Red Sox, my wife's family is all Sox, me, Yankees, the evil empire. It seems to be the same this season as the last few years in the AL, come play off time the Yankees still need Rivera, and two others except Sabbathia to produce. I reckon the Sox are the team to beat this year.

Apart from that, I still also have a serious dislike of cats, had two of them at my friend's house that I was housesitting in Nairobi. They kept trying to eat the gekkoes, had to kick them a bit. However, the titty city (and this picture) still rules, if that helps...

+1

Probably wouldn't be starting if it weren't for Bucholtz. I thought for sure they would find a replacement before the trade deadline.

No one is stupid enough to take on his salary. Same as Derek Lowe down in Atlanta.

Loving Dan Uggla ripping things up in his 33 game hitting streak. Hoping for game 34 tonight in game 3 of the series against the Cubbies.

Lackey has the worst contract in all of baseball and I don't say that lightly. Maybe only the Cubs can rival it in the terrible contract stakes.

$82.5m over 5 years. Nasty.

I thought Lowe's $60m over 4 years was bad...

EDIT: Barry Zito is getting $18m a year as well! Madness...

• 3 weeks later...

Less than an hour until the series decider. It's Burnett vs. Lester, and Burnett has had a horrible season, losing record and ERA over 5. Yankees pitching depth just looks grim beyond CC, and for that reason I can't see them winning the World Series. The Red Sox look very strong, I think they could challenge but I can't see anyone beating the Phillies with their 1-2 pitching combination of Halladay-Lee.

Red Sox getting bummed here by the Texas Rangers. Currently 5-0 to Texas and they still have only 1 out in the 2nd. All 3 bases loaded so more runs still perhaps. The pitcher Andrew Miller having a 'mare here, just like the starting pitcher yesterday. He's getting the hook already.

You're all missing the point that while Miller had a bad outing, he threw some great stuff against the Rangers in Arlington. Miller has bad command issues, he's always had that and that sometimes leads to his performance last night. But the real story is Derek Holland holding the Red Sox scoreless and with only 2 hits through 7 innings. Doing that at Fenway against that line up was very good. Maybe Wakefield will go back into the rotation looking for his 200th win now.

If the Red Sox win the World Series, then it's likely to be their offense that gets the job done for them. Much the same with the Yankees.

Both sides have above average pitching, all told. So they'll need the power in their respective lineups to see them through.

The Phillies are the best all round team in MLB in my opinion, combining scary offense with outstanding starting pitching, though their pen is a little suspect.

The other NL teams in contention can be a little hot and cold in both the hitting and starting pitching departments. If the Braves can get to the 7th with a lead, then O'Flaherty, Venters and Kimbrell are lights out.

If the Red Sox win the World Series, then it's likely to be their offense that gets the job done for them. Much the same with the Yankees.

Both sides have above average pitching, all told. So they'll need the power in their respective lineups to see them through.

The Phillies are the best all round team in MLB in my opinion, combining scary offense with outstanding starting pitching, though their pen is a little suspect.

The other NL teams in contention can be a little hot and cold in both the hitting and starting pitching departments. If the Braves can get to the 7th with a lead, then O'Flaherty, Venters and Kimbrell are lights out.

I don't think the Phillies offense is that great although adding Pence has made a difference.