You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

It's telling that the main arguments for paying him what he wants seem to be based on (a) what he could become rather than what he is now and/or (b) how it will look if we lose him.

We're starting to remind me of a mid table team that produces a quality player every now and then and dreads losing them.

Well, if the shoe fits.

How do you think we look to elite-level players of we continually lose our best players?

Yep. We're looking like mid table no marks because we didn't get this sorted out behind the scenes quietly and quickly.

We then didn't try to sign any players in January but instead trumpeted in the press that Sterling was getting a new contract.

And now we still haven't sorted it out so look stupidly unprofessional.

He'll already have a contract that reflects his value

No he won't, he'll have a contract that reflects what he thought he was worth 2 years ago (despite being paid for what he might be worth) now he'll want to be paid what he's worth in another two or three years time.

And since we gave in last time there'll be nothing to deter him this time either.

No he won't, he'll have a contract that reflects what he thought he was worth 2 years ago (despite being paid for what he might be worth) now he'll want to be paid what he's worth in another two or three years time.

And since we gave in last time there'll be nothing to deter him this time either.

We're being dictated to because of what others are willing to pay him. If we near match that he won't have any leverage over us.

That's his ammunition, the reason he's in a strong negotiating position is because his agent will be baiting us with the likes of Chelsea and Man City who can blow us out of the water. Not because he has some inflated sense of worth with no basis in reality.

• Upvote 1

The new TV deal will create another wages arms race whether we are in it or not.

Wages will always reflect the value of a player to the team, and his attractiveness to other teams. Just now his stock is high.

In recent yeas we have systematically sold all our best players. If we are serious about challenging for honours we will see big wage inflation to secure the players we want, and hold onto those we wish to retain.

We're looking like mid table no marks because we didn't get this sorted out behind the scenes quietly and quickly.

I am no friend of FSG/Ayre - but think that is harsh.

Before the announcement of the new TV deal, and knowing where the team finishes in the league this season, there has been no reason for Sterling to commit to another contract with us.

Yeah let's, I mean let's pay him like he's one of the top few players in the world. Then when he shows marginal improvement or decides he wants a new contract in two years time we can give him whatever he wants again.

Maybe if we're lucky he'll let us pay him 50% of our turnover to show how ace we are.

I think that's called the Seth Johnson technique.

but at £130k pw he wouldnt be, 5 years ago this might have been the case, but look at the top 3 in the premier leagus as it stands, their average players are on £100k+ pw, they have set a precedent that we either follow to keep out best players or we fall by the wayside whilst taking the moral high ground.

but at £130k pw he wouldnt be, 5 years ago this might have been the case, but look at the top 3 in the premier leagus as it stands, their average players are on £100k+ pw, they have set a precedent that we either follow to keep out best players or we fall by the wayside whilst taking the moral high ground.

We shouldn't be attempting to keep up with the wages of City or Chelsea.

• Upvote 1

He's a pretender. Mook, as well. I'm getting sick of this name infringement.

Blame Mean Streets, my mates have been calling me Mook for years and it's just stuck.

I do like pretending I'm you sometimes but I usually end up just buying socks out of Topman.

• Upvote 1

Blame Mean Streets, my mates have been calling me Mook for years and it's just stuck.

I do lile pretending I'm you sometimes but I usually end up just buying socks out of Topman.

I preferred it when you had your birth year in there, Mook. It's like you're two thirds the poster you once were.