You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

If it's the club penny pinching or tryin to force performance related contracts,which are good but unworkable unless everyone does it,then they deserve a fucking rocket up their collective tight holes. Market rate,like it or loathe it,is over 100k a week for a player of his importance,which is key,regardless of age. However,if it's him and his agent being dickish,yeah it's a word,then either fuck him in the reserves for 6 months unless he signs or then launch him. He's not costing much and ibe's arrival may give him somethin to think about. Bit like sharp and giggs i suppose is the whole situation.

• Upvote 1

I really am quite bothered if he stays or goes. Albeit not as bothered as I was before the emergence of Ibe as a first teamer and the promise Ojo has been showing on loan. Whoever it is who keeps uncovering these amazingly talented young forwards, they need a pay rise.

Lets be honest there has been around a 10 year gap since we had any decent young players coming through, since the owen gerrard era. Sterling is still work in progress and Ibe is still only a talent.

I'd be interested to know where he would play in the Real Madrid or Bayern side and who they would be looking to offload. If it's someone like Khedira for example (not like-for-like, but someone RM might let go), then I'd be looking for, say, a swap deal plus cash. But as Sterling's still got two years left on his contract, this might be something that happens after the 2016-17 season. Hopefully by then, we'd have had at least two consecutive seasons in the CL and at least one trophy. I just hope, if it comes down to it, we've already started work now on properly going after a very good, established player (as Arsenal did with Sanchez). I just don't want another situation where we lose a class footballer of great value to us, and don't replace him.

Why Real or Bayern would want Sterling, I have no idea.

Suarez was happy with our contract structure including the incremental renewals based on performance.

Unless you're better than Suarez you can get to fuck.

The contracts with clauses that allowed him to leave? Not sure the reasoning makes sense anyway unless they'd been offered the same contract, and they definitely haven't been.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Very, very arguably.

How many are better? Not just wingers, but 19/20 year olds in general. I mean, I can't think of many young players of his age who are doing what he's doing and has already done.

• Upvote 1

That's the thing with Sterling, he's probably the best player for his age in the world and we don't even know his best position. It also shits all over our method of buying up promising talent from our country if they're going to fuck off to Madrid anyway. Unless we're happy for them to do that as long as it's at a considerable profit....

I read this to be qualify for the CL or Im fucking off. People can talk about McManaman and Owen fucking the club over but sterling is sure on a par with them now.

McManaman and Owen carried the club on their backs for years. Sterling's only achievement in the game of football so far is to be the best attacker in a mediocre Liverpool side when Sturridge is injured.

Bollocks to him and his lime green Beats headphones.

I think he's not receiving the same kind of treatment as Henderson because he's already had a contract dispute in the past. He's already got a feel of the Michael Owen's about him. People just have not completely taken to him yet and I think that probably adds a bit to the whole thing. I do think this whole Sterling puts contract off to the summer thing is just tabloid stirring though. The club have probably offered him a contract he's turned down and there's no point in going back and forth with each other until the summer. It probably was decided weeks if not months ago to leave it until then.

McManaman and Owen carried the club on their backs for years. Sterling's only achievement in the game of football so far is to be the best attacker in a mediocre Liverpool side when Sturridge is injured.

Bollocks to him and his lime green Beats headphones.

McManaman carried the club on his back for years?

I don't really get Ratcatchers view of the club being fucked over. The players don't have to sign contracts just as much as the club don't have to offer them. If Sterling thinks he's worth more than what they are offering why would he accept less especially if he knows he can get more money elsewhere.

The club put him into the team when he was young and stuck with him through a few rough patches but it isn't doing it because it's a charity. It did it because Rodgers knew the long term benefit to the club of doing it. Rodgers and the club along with everyone else know exactly what they are getting into when developing players abilities and confidence. This is not a new thing. You either put up or shut up and sell to the highest bidder. So far the club has done that. I just think some of our fans need to wake up to it as well.

Whether you think he owes the club or not people need to get in the real world. He's not going to make career and salary decisions based on him owing favours to the club. How quickly people have been to get on his back over the years after a couple of poor games won't be endearing him to repay those favours either.

He's dragging it out to see whether we get CL next season. Whether or not that defines him as a shrewd cunt or just a plain cunt is a moot point. What however is at stake is our game plan of building with young talent should the biggest success story of that policy fucks off halfway through. We need to keep him if at all possible . 

The contracts with clauses that allowed him to leave? Not sure the reasoning makes sense anyway unless they'd been offered the same contract, and they definitely haven't been.

Until Sterling is showing the same performances as Suarez why should he get the same?

That's the point of incremental renewals, Suarez started off on a modest contract and it improved as he did.

But then you knew that.