You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

That's why the contract needs to be performance/experience related. I can move up the payscale at work with good performance and through gaining experience, if I don't then my pay remains the same.

Deals for relatively unproven young players should be heavily structured towards performance.

If you someone offers you another job with an extra 30% without the performance related clauses (which inevitably Sterling will get offered by the Billionaire clubs) you would jump ship straightaway, so it doesn't work like that.

At the moment no-one knows how much he is being offered.

If you someone offers you another job with an extra 30% without the performance related clauses (which inevitably Sterling will get offered by the Billionaire clubs) you would jump ship straightaway, so it doesn't work like that.

At the moment no-one knows how much he is being offered.

Looking at this thread there seems to be a few people who have the inside story on Sterling's contact offer, it may differ from person to person but they seem pretty sure of themselves.

Ibe can be a good player no question about it, but what's he actually done to be put on a pedestal alongside Sterling? he's hit the woodwork once against Everton and done a few dribbles past people.

Sterling has performed to a consistent level for three seasons now and was a vital cog in the side that almost won the league last year. Sterling dribbles past players all the time but it's taken for granted because he always does it, whereas when Ibe does it it's lauded because he's new to the fold and he's being watched under more intense scrutiny.

This is not an attempt to bash Ibe, i like him, he's just not on Sterlings level, whether he'll get there is debatable but right now it's not a fair comparison. It strikes me of the David Thompson / McManaman debate in the late 90's.

"Not arsed about McManaman leaving Thommo is the future lad."

I dunno, every time Ibe gets the ball I expect him to past his man. He's fast, strong and direct. Sterling is the same but I think he's playing a different role at the moment so we don't see it as much. I think it was the Tottenham game where Ibe was just running at them and causing all kinds of havoc. I think he's looked more promising than Sterling did at the same stage of his career but he's played about 10 games for us so any praise could prove premature but I think he's one of the most promising players in English football, as is Sterling of course. 

I think he deserves more praise than you're giving him for that Everton game as well. To go from the Championship to a MotM performance in a game of that magnitude proves he's got what it takes to be a top player

In fairness to Sterling, if there's now talk about Ibe being more impressive early on than he was, I'm not sure that's fair.  Raheem was absolutely brilliant against City in Brendan's first home game, the key being that he showed maturity and decision-making beyond his years, and it wasn't an isolated occurrence even if the goals weren't flowing at that stage.

I love the look of Ibe, and he may well go on to be the better of the two, but having only had a few games he's not gone through the inevitable young player's dip to show he can come then back out of it (I expect him to, as and when he does, just trying to be even-handed).  The sample size is too small to say he's better than Raheem was, as he himself had a run of superb early performances.  Ibe's played extremely well for sure, but it's still only been a few games.

Sterling has had a couple of troughs and come through the other side of them, he's perhaps in another mini-one just now, but will surely emerge from it and get better again, as he's had that about him since he burst onto the scene.  He started red hot as well, and that spell during the run-in last year was absolutely stunning from him. He's just had longer in the team and played more football.  When Ibe has done similar I would expect him to also tail off for a while, and then prove he can play through a period of poor form, but he hasn't seen enough action for that to happen yet.

• Upvote 1

That's a good point actually. It's easy to forget that a little over 12-13 months ago there was talk of sending Sterling on loan to Derby and it looked like the hype from the season before was very premature indeed. Fast forward to now and he's arguably been our most important player this season.

All the more reason to give him that 200k a week and pay for his 5 kids' Harvard educations or whatever it is he's demanding. 

• Upvote 1

I'd tend to disagree on the Ibe better than Sterling argument as well at this point. Sterling was brought into the team at a young age out of necessity and stepped up to the plate. Ibe has had the luxury of being brought in slowly. Plus, Ibe has only played a few games and therefore has nothing like the consistency of Sterling.

I read an interview with Ray Clemence a few weeks ago where he said "The problem these days is too many people make snap judgements. Have a few bad games and everyone says you’re rubbish, play well for a short period and they talk about you cementing your place for years to come."

This is very true I feel and can be applied to Jordon Ibe in this situation. I also think the same has happened with Emre Can, although that's a different topic altogether.

• Upvote 1

Disagree trefoil.

Sterling had nothing to lose when he was brought in, we were shit and we'd have hung our hopes on anything positive.

Ibe has come into a side with totally different expectations.

Surely then he had everything to lose? We were shit, we hung our hopes on him, and had he been shit or not lived up to our hopes it could have ruined him? Ibe has come into a side with totally different expectations, whereby we weren't relying on him to perform. But with Sterling we were. I see your point though... I think, you're saying Ibe is looking good in a good team whereas Sterling looked good in a shit team? It's down to opinion which you think is more difficult though I suppose

What is it with our players?

We weren’t good enough to stay in the Champions League, beaten by mighty Basel. Thrown out of the Europa League on the first opportunity. We were out of the title chase long before Christmas, currently sitting in fifth place not qualified for next year’s CL. These are the cold facts.

Yet our players believe they’re the best thing to happen to football since Maradona!

Sterling, netting 6 balls playing as a striker for the team who managed to score more than 100 league goals last year.  I bet even Carra would score 6 if he was playing in that position. 150K a week? Climb down from the skies, son!

Henderson, being vice captain in the absence of a natural leader.  As captain he’s had one difficult situation to cope with, the pen incident with Balotelli. Captain? Embarrassing is what it was. He’s also limited as a footballer. A hard worker, a modern day Leonhardsen if you like, admittedly with a bit more talent and flair. Still, stalling over an offer of 100K a week?  Climb down from the skies, son!

I know Brendan Rodgers is a good man manager, building his players self confidence. Overdone it slightly this time Brendan?

I've sat on the fence regarding Sterling's contract because I can see the merit in arguments both for and against paying him. I am no nearer coming down on one side or the other, because the dominating thought I have is that it's all just fucked up. Obscene wages. Obscene ticket prices. Obscene behaviour from players and officials. Just a fucking massive cauldron of greed.

• Upvote 6

What is it with our players?

We weren’t good enough to stay in the Champions League, beaten by mighty Basel. Thrown out of the Europa League on the first opportunity. We were out of the title chase long before Christmas, currently sitting in fifth place not qualified for next year’s CL. These are the cold facts.

Yet our players believe they’re the best thing to happen to football since Maradona!

Sterling, netting 6 balls playing as a striker for the team who managed to score more than 100 league goals last year.  I bet even Carra would score 6 if he was playing in that position. 150K a week? Climb down from the skies, son!

Henderson, being vice captain in the absence of a natural leader.  As captain he’s had one difficult situation to cope with, the pen incident with Balotelli. Captain? Embarrassing is what it was. He’s also limited as a footballer. A hard worker, a modern day Leonhardsen if you like, admittedly with a bit more talent and flair. Still, stalling over an offer of 100K a week?  Climb down from the skies, son!

I know Brendan Rodgers is a good man manager, building his players self confidence. Overdone it slightly this time Brendan?

Henderson has turned down a £65k a week offer not £100k a week hasnt he? Supposed to be wanting nearer £90k was the last I heard.

Yes, the wages are massive. I could attempt to equate them to others in sport, entertainment, music and the film industries. Its what they are.

Are some fans a bit guilty of talking about the wage inflation like it has nothing to do with them though? Nobody paying Sky or BT stupid pounds a month for subscriptions? Nobody paying £50 for a £2 shirt, ridiculous ticket prices, etc.? Henderson and Sterling are negotiating a wage that might be preposterous in the real world but why is that their fault particularly.

Henderson and Sterling are negotiating a wage that might be preposterous in the real world but why is that their fault particularly.

It's not even slightly their fault. Personally I'd rather it went in their pockets than FSG's.

It's just basic economics that the people giving them grief about have no grip of.

Henderson has turned down a £65k a week offer not £100k a week hasnt he? Supposed to be wanting nearer £90k was the last I heard.

Yes, the wages are massive. I could attempt to equate them to others in sport, entertainment, music and the film industries. Its what they are.

I've got it wrong then.

Up to around 100K a week would be within the limits of our wage structrue I suppose. Maybe I was too critical towards Hendo. He is after all doing the captain's job and doesn't seem to be a greedy bastard. Not his fault the wages are insane.

• Upvote 1

It's fine to play hardball w wages but you have to accept you will lose some of those negotiations.

Take it a step further - if you are ok with Sterling leaving over the difference between say 100k and 125k a week, fuck him, don't want players who don't want to play for the club etc etc - what expectations can you then realistically put on Rodgers?

Lose your top attacker two straight years. And he should be nailed on to a Top 4 finish? 

• Upvote 1

I think players wages are obscene and should be lower but I also want Liverpool to be successful , Two incompatible ideals in the modern game, I choose having a successful club that can compete at the highest and think we should pay Sterling for the simple reason that if we don't others will. We will not replace him and save money,

Pay the greedy fucker or lose him. It's simple. He's not the only talented footballer in the world though, so if Citeh came in with a bid for 50m, I'd tell them 75 and go from there. If the recent visit to Jamaica doesn't put it all in perspective for Raheem then nothing ever will. 

I've got it wrong then.

Up to around 100K a week would be within the limits of our wage structrue I suppose. Maybe I was too critical towards Hendo. He is after all doing the captain's job and doesn't seem to be a greedy bastard. Not his fault the wages are insane.

Just as a point of dicussion, I dont know why people get wrapped up in the wages players get. Since the abolition of the football wage cap in the 60's, players havent earnt what the spectator have.

I dont see what difference it makes if a player through the years has been paid £1k, £10k, £50k etc, etc. 'Ordinary' mortals dont earn anything like during the same period. The fact the gap between them and 'us' has got bigger doesnt make any difference really.

When Landie beat Clarke's sub 4 minute mile record, he went home on the tram with everyone else. Cant see Usain Bolt doing that even after a 100m record.

We won't get £50m for Sterling, let alone £75m.

It's either pay him or lose him for something around £30m.

I doubt we'd even get £30million.  Henderson's another one, I doubt we'd get £20million for him.  Both are good players with Sterling having more potential.  Henderson will never be World class.

Where I think we should spend our coin is on our new signings and their wages. That's where we have been fucking up. 

Sterling has been good/very good but his performances are in no way Suarez-esque, he's got to do it to earn it in my book. I think he's a great player and would be a big loss, but he's not going to leave a huge hole like Luis did.

My reasons for paying him the amount his agent is asking for (with Raheems approval let's not forget) would be based on my lack of faith in our ability to actually sign a decent replacement for him with the money we would get.

If he is considering leaving for Citeh then he goes down a few levels in my estimation. He's sorted for life, he's young, he's got it all. What's the rush to be a twat and fuck off to those twats? You can only drive one car and live in one house at a time Raheema. 

I doubt we'd even get £30million.  Henderson's another one, I doubt we'd get £20million for him.  Both are good players with Sterling having more potential.  Henderson will never be World class.

You're probably right about Henderson. The clubs that can afford to spend £20m on a player will look for better players than him. Saying that, he might be attractive to City as he's English and I'm sure we could squeeze ridiculous millions out of them. But he'll stay, I think.

Sterling may well go. But I definitely think we'd get somewhere around 30 for him.