You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

I wonder if people would be a little bit happier with a Rafa structure approach to contracts ie let the manager decide exactly how much to pay them.

Then again people moaned back then too when we overpayed players.

Now since we have entered the negotiations phase people want us to start overpaying again?

I know our fans don't like it but overdrawn negotiations like this happen. Maybe we are just overeating in fear that we lose two top young talents but I seriously doubt we won't pay what they like if they were worthy of it.

If Hendo wants £80k a week then give him £80k a week. That's broadly the same as Coutinho is on. Hendo is going to be a vital player for us. If Sterling wants more than £80k a week or whatever we're offering, sell him to the highest bidder. If he thinks he'll have a better career anywhere else he's fucking deluded and we don't need to be held to ransom by a kid barely out his nappies. With the emergence of Ibe I'm less concerned about Sterling going than I am about Hendo possibly leaving.

If Hendo wants £80k a week then give him £80k a week. That's broadly the same as Coutinho is on. Hendo is going to be a vital player for us. If Sterling wants more than £80k a week or whatever we're offering, sell him to the highest bidder. If he thinks he'll have a better career anywhere else he's fucking deluded and we don't need to be held to ransom by a kid barely out his nappies. With the emergence of Ibe and less concerned about Sterling going than I am about Hendo possibly leaving.

It would be intriguing to know what methodology the club was employing in determining player contracts. I mean Couthino was recently renewed at £50k wasnt he? Henderson's been offered around £60k, sterling £100k?

Whichever way you look at it, they're 3 players who've played regularly for us in the last 12 months or so.

It seems a scatter gun approach is being used to determine their worth because I cant see anything logical!

It would be intriguing to know what methodology the club was employing in determining player contracts. I mean Couthino was recently renewed at £50k wasnt he? Henderson's been offered around £60k, sterling £100k?

Whichever way you look at it, they're 3 players who've played regularly for us in the last 12 months or so.

It seems a scatter gun approach is being used to determine their worth because I cant see anything logical!

Maybe there's a little more to the financial model than meets the eye?  

Or perhaps they are taking advice from people in the know, or from pricing analysts, or from Glass's Guide?

Or perhaps you're right.  It's a scattergun approach.  

I'd go with 2, then 3 then 1.

Sterling and Henderson are entitled to market rates. Bottom line, Section. We can rant and rave and abuse them all we like. But the facts won't change.

As I say, that depends on how you view football (and work, to a lesser extent). By your logic Alan Shearer should have gone to united, but he never did. 

As I say, that depends on how you view football (and work, to a lesser extent). By your logic Alan Shearer should have gone to united, but he never did.

i don't follow.

If Henderson or Sterling choose to play for us for below what they can get elsewhere, good times. But I won't blame them for leaving if we won't pay them market rates.

Shearer is a Geordie and a Newcastle fan. I wouldn't expect the same attitude from Henderson or Sterling. Not comparable for me. Compelling reasons why Shearer chose Newcastle.

I wonder if people would be a little bit happier with a Rafa structure approach to contracts ie let the manager decide exactly how much to pay them.

It was the elephant trap which Rafa fell into with G&H chortling wasn't it?

""You want complete control? You got it!" Then Rafa didn't realise that the money he was commiting to new contracts would have to be paid for out of the wages budget! Evidence, if any was needed, that managers should be kept a long way away from player contracts.

I have some sympathy for Sterling. He is in demand and he is the first of our big players to be able to dip his nose into the trough of the new TV deal. An extra £30k a week is an extra £7.5m on a five year contract- thats a lot of kids nappies.

It was the moralising which I found intriguing. Bascombe's logic for the move was the pay rise and the career progression for which he was roundly abused by fans who claim money shouldn't come into these decisions, yet Sterling asking for money is somehow acceptable because it's 'what he's worth'.

Of course the Echo had a younger and better version to take over from Bascombe in Barrett, so they could choose to let Bascombe leave rather than give him a big pay rise.  The problem being that the Echo's ambitions also weren't enough to keep Barrett and he left to join a bigger enterprise - then the Echo Liverpool reporting went to shit and has never really recovered.

So to follow this analogy, Sterling will go to Chelsea where he'll obviously develop SBATS (see Bascombe at NotW), Ibe will get more time, the fans will realise they like him better, but then he'll soon get poached by a bigger arsehole club - Real Madrid.

Sterling will then end up on Man City's bench earning a decent wage but just going through the motions and mostly forgotten.  Liverpool FC will descend into lower table mediocrity with owners based in Manchester.

Of course the Echo had a younger and better version to take over from Bascombe in Barrett, so they could choose to let Bascombe leave rather than give him a big pay rise.  The problem being that the Echo's ambitions also weren't enough to keep Barrett and he left to join a bigger enterprise - then the Echo Liverpool reporting went to shit and has never really recovered.

So to follow this analogy, Sterling will go to Chelsea where he'll obviously develop SBATS (see Bascombe at NotW), Ibe will get more time, the fans will realise they like him better, but then he'll soon get poached by a bigger arsehole club - Real Madrid.

Sterling will then end up on Man City's bench earning a decent wage but just going through the motions and mostly forgotten.  Liverpool FC will descend into lower table mediocrity with owners based in Manchester.

Does this mean we're signing Akinfenwa to be James Pearce?

No you're right, I can't think of any reason why teams might have some interest in sterling.

Well thank you kindly but Im not claiming Im right. Im actually saying the stated fact he's in demand isnt supported by hard evidence. But you instead decided you wanted to concentrate on what I'd said.

Well done for inconsistency.

Well thank you kindly but Im not claiming Im right. Im actually saying the stated fact he's in demand isnt supported by hard evidence. But you instead decided you wanted to concentrate on what I'd said.

Well done for inconsistency.

I asked how you knew that there aren't clubs lining up to sign him and you answered that with a question.

Do you honestly think that there is nobody waiting in the wings to sign him if these contract talks stall any more and if any club was tapping him up do you think they would make that common knowledge? Use your imagination.