You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

We shouldn't be attempting to keep up with the wages of City or Chelsea.

im not talking their big earners im talking squad players, your right we shouldn't be paying squad fillers that, but we are not even paying first teamers that, here in lies the problem, to keep our best, and unfortunatley he is one of our best due to misspent funds, you have to pay them as that.

When someone says 'pay him what he wants' they don't mean a limitless amount. They mean 'come to an agreement where the player is happy to sign a contract even if we have to pay a little bit over what we wanted'

But you already knew that.

That's a lovely plan mate but the problem is that Sterling doesn't seem to want to sign a contract for 'a little bit more than we wanted' he seems to want 'a fucking shitload more than we wanted'.  If there was a tiny difference in valuation here I'm sure the contract would be inked already.

• Upvote 1

That's a lovely plan mate but the problem is that Sterling doesn't seem to want to sign a contract for 'a little bit more than we wanted' he seems to want 'a fucking shitload more than we wanted'.  If there was a tiny difference in valuation here I'm sure the contract would be inked already.

So, your problem is less what we may eventually pay him and more that we may cave in to his demands, Rob?

So, your problem is less what we may eventually pay him and more that we may cave in to his demands, Rob?

It's both Tom, because the club being seen as weak in negotiations and just rolling over is going to be as unhelpful as having still-developing players on large contracts when it comes to negotiating future contracts with other players.

I was simply highlighting that the situation suggests far from the club being 'silly' by not just giving the lad 'a little' more than they wanted to, the issue is actually that he wants considerably more.  It seems reasonable to assume the club offered less than £100k, he's reported as wanting £130k.  I don't consider 33% to be a little.

It's both Tom, because the club being seen as weak in negotiations and just rolling over is going to be as unhelpful as having still-developing players on large contracts when it comes to negotiating future contracts with other players.

I was simply highlighting that the situation suggests far from the club being 'silly' by not just giving the lad 'a little' more than they wanted to, the issue is actually that he wants considerably more.  It seems reasonable to assume the club offered less than £100k, he's reported as wanting £130k.  I don't consider 33% to be a little.

Ok, fair enough.

The 'large contracts' you talk of are only relative to Liverpool, though. The same contract may well be - and probably is - a standard contract at a bigger spending club. And that's the issue we are facing, I think.

I used to enjoy our players improving until they were one of the best players in the team and maybe even country, but fuck that when I have to worry about their remuneration negotiations every twelve months. Kabaddi from here on in.

Flanagan is the only one that I think would stay, even if he got a better offer.

If I was manager I would start him all the time, and let everybody else rot in the reserves.

Anyone think that Ibe could actually turn out better? Obviously he's not scoring as much as Raheem but he's bigger and stronger and it's a big plus in the PL. Different convo maybe...

I'd love Sterling to stay but if he's only about the money then it's not good for the club.

He hasn't scored as many as Raheem but he's only played a few games at rwb while Raheem has been up front and behind the striker.

I think ibes finishing and final ball is better then Raheem and he also has more strength like you said.I used to think Raheem had the edge on him when it comes to dribbling but after Ibes last few games I'm not sure he does.

He's a top class player, but I think all this talk of 40 million bids from Real Madrid are somewhat wide of the mark. Also, comparisons with Rooney aren't justified because when he had the mancs by the cajones he was a long established england international with image rights and all that bollocks, I can't imagine anyone outside of Anfield gives a shite about Sterling. It really does make his current negotiating posture galling. 

• Upvote 1

He's still an inconsistent kid with a lot to prove. Rodgers fuck ups in the transfer window have made him more more important to the side than his own ability actually has.

In a way it's wrong to expect him to perform week in week out at his age but then he's looking to be paid as such.

In a way it's wrong to expect him to perform week in week out at his age but then he's looking to be paid as such.

Overplayed and mismanaged. Whilst many of our players seem to have drawn out contract negotiations that don't draw a fraction of the ire that his have, and I'm pretty sure you could make the same lack of value comparisons, he's still more likely to need more rest than a player five years older. I don't believe Rodgers has his best interests at heart either whilst his job is potentially on the line if the season goes into a tailspin.

• Upvote 1

He's a top class player, but I think all this talk of 40 million bids from Real Madrid are somewhat wide of the mark. Also, comparisons with Rooney aren't justified because when he had the mancs by the cajones he was a long established england international with image rights and all that bollocks, I can't imagine anyone outside of Anfield gives a shite about Sterling. It really does make his current negotiating posture galling. 

If no-one cares about Raheem outside of the club, it strengthens the club's bargaining position.