You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On 26/03/2020 at 15:53, A Red said:

Fucking hell, I've done more gardening in the last few days than the last 3 years. How long does it take to grow wine?

Must be sound having a garden especially now, not that I know anything about it apart from the odd house plants and outside my door. 

Wished I'd of got some now before all this shit, something to tend to, I might try and grow some veg, window sill plants if that's possible? 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We're starting to get plenty of produce from the garden - we had our first potatoes this week and have been feasting on salads, spinach, chard, swede, soft fruit and beetroot for a few weeks with all of this still to come:

20200712_172757.jpg

20200712_172552.jpg

• Upvote 7

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to get a couple of low maintenance plants for my classroom to get their free oxygen and give children jobs to do looking after them. Things to note:

Must be hardy because it's a class of 7/8 year olds

Classroom is sunny and they'll be on the window sill or near it

It can be very hot or very cold depending on the heating being on or not

Must not flower due to allergy issues

I'd love to have a medium sized indoor tree in my reading corner if possible. 

Does anyone have suggestions outside of rubber or cheese plants? 

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I'm looking to get a couple of low maintenance plants for my classroom to get their free oxygen and give children jobs to do looking after them. Things to note:

Cheese plants? Yum yum.

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

BQ used to sell these in one pack for all three- I bought them once and they are very hardy- after gradually increasing the pot size the front one the picture reached ceiling height.

The one on the right gets tall too if you let it 

Indoor Plant Mix - 3 Plants - House/Office Live Potted Pot Plant Tree (Mix  A - Schefflera Gerda, Zamioculca Zamiifolia & Chamaedorea Elegans):  Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

Cant stand gardening. But the old girl is getting arthritis in her hands and knees so cant cut and dig things up as she could. The front, side and rear gardens have been getting untidy and Ive been saying we need to thin things out a bit.

Ive got other stuff I want to get on with but Ive said if we thin the flower beds out (a lot!) I'll muck in and help. So I convinced her we'd dig a load of stuff out, put some membrane down with shit loads of stone chippings on top.

Fuck me, half the stuff she's planted over the years are like fucking triffids! Creepers as thick as your arm, under ground everywhere! I thought we were making good progress and have got about 500 kilos of chipping down. Now she says she wants wider flowerbeds about a metre wide! The fuck!?

Did I say I hate gardening?

9 hours ago, Dave D said:

BQ used to sell these in one pack for all three- I bought them once and they are very hardy- after gradually increasing the pot size the front one the picture reached ceiling height.

The one on the right gets tall too if you let it 

Indoor Plant Mix - 3 Plants - House/Office Live Potted Pot Plant Tree (Mix  A - Schefflera Gerda, Zamioculca Zamiifolia & Chamaedorea Elegans):  Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

Is the middle.one an umbrella tree? If so I got one of them and an autograph tree 

11 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I had to use one of them fan rake type things. Fuck me, it was hard work! Fucking moss killer is going down next time!

Yeah I took the bucket off because I’d have been emptying every 2 minutes so had to rake all the shit up. It was hard work, and I filled the green bin easily I went over the lawn twice and cold probably go over it agin. 

Cunt moss. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/05/2013 at 22:29, Champ said:

Do your neighbours have lawns? If so, what do their look like?

Well, I've almost finished our front garden, after posting about doing it around 3 (?) years ago! We wanted a butterfly and bumblebee friendly garden.

It's a raised bed thing. It was all full of builders' rubble and covered with nicer aggregate. We got a tree surgeon to get rid of the massive shrub, and we emptied the aggregate ourselves. Left rubble/ aggregate outside for people to nick but no one did (possible problem with living in quite a nice area, or just the limp-wristed southerners).

It's been brilliant for me and my wife to work on this. After the chemo and adrenal failure I'm fucked for energy all the time. This has been a step-by-step thing, and quite a grind, but gradual progress is such an antidote to all the negative feelings that come with this shit.

I used to do gardens for friends, or for social services residential projects with the clients, and did the heavy lifting, but my (truly) better half knows how much it meant to do something creative - other than building settlements on Fallout 4. 

This is going to sound made up but as we planted the last sedum, a white butterfly showed up. Obviously I killed it - little twat molesting my garden - but it was good to see. Just got to add a bit more weed suppressant and gravel.

Will post some photos tomorrow, for Champ's fair but brutal perusal.

* Hopefully makes sense.

Edited by Jarvinja Ilnow
Celebratory pissed-up state
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Well last couple of days Ive felt like Ive been going in the jungle. Fuck me, the old girl has planted some triffids. Slowly digging the bastards up but they put up a real fight!

In one corner she planted a couple of bushes. They're now like 7 fucking foot tall! Started cutting them down and the next thing I know, there's a load of brambles growing from somewhere. Prickly bastards so used the loppers on them and straight in the green bin. Going to have to take a few bags of green waste to the tip in the morning as cant afford to wait for the next green bin collection.

On 02/09/2020 at 13:29, dockers_strike said:

I had to use one of them fan rake type things. Fuck me, it was hard work! Fucking moss killer is going down next time!

If you have a decent sized lawn/a lot of moss get yourself a scarifier. They cost a few pounds and you’ll laugh your head off the first time you use it the amount of stuff it pulls up.

• Upvote 1