You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Astronomy

12 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Thanks for replying mate.

Light pollution is a bitch, next purchase for me might be air rifle to take a street light out!

The app controls the scope and disconnects a lot which is annoying as fuck. It is great for info on what's up there that night including satellites.

Controller is close on £200 in Turkey against £110 in UK so might get one brought over if we ever get over Covid.

You're right about light pollution. 

We used to have a caravan in North Yorkshire and one year when Easter was early, there was a power failure on the site, used to happen a lot at busy times. Anyway, there was a clear sky, it was bloody cold and it was pretty dark with not much light pollution from the road a mile away and a village a couple of miles away.

The skies were amazing. I stayed out there just looking for an hour before the power went back on. I've seen the Milky Way on the telly and in books, but I'd never actually seen it. 

Stunning, and that was without a telescope.

I haven't got a telescope myself but my lad has a Revelation 8 inch Dobsonian, a proper light bucket, which isn't that portable, but the images it produces are fantastic.

I've just got my 9 year old Grandson a Celestron tabletop Dobsonian, so hopefully he'll get the bug and teach me a few things. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

You're right about light pollution. 

We used to have a caravan in North Yorkshire and one year when Easter was early, there was a power failure on the site, used to happen a lot at busy times. Anyway, there was a clear sky, it was bloody cold and it was pretty dark with not much light pollution from the road a mile away and a village a couple of miles away.

The skies were amazing. I stayed out there just looking for an hour before the power went back on. I've seen the Milky Way on the telly and in books, but I'd never actually seen it. 

Stunning, and that was without a telescope.

I haven't got a telescope myself but my lad has a Revelation 8 inch Dobsonian, a proper light bucket, which isn't that portable, but the images it produces are fantastic.

I've just got my 9 year old Grandson a Celestron tabletop Dobsonian, so hopefully he'll get the bug and teach me a few things. 

We get quite a few power cuts here in Turkey and as you rightly say it is amazing. Makes you realise what a small part we play in the universe.

Grand kids teaching us is the only way to go, enjoy mate.

On 24/04/2021 at 00:34, Chr15 said:

There are a few apps available if you're interested.  

ISS Live  ( obviously plots the ISS)

StarWalk2 

Mobile Observatory 

Night Shift (gives info on what's visible in your area)

Downloaded ISS live, got a message it's passing over us now!

Daytime and cloudy but nice to know they are thinking about me down here.

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

Downloaded ISS live, got a message it's passing over us now!

Daytime and cloudy but nice to know they are thinking about me down here.

Some good apps isn't there???   Saw the ISS a few times a couple of years back. Surprised how fast it moves across the sky.

1 minute ago, Chr15 said:

Some good apps isn't there???   Saw the ISS a few times a couple of years back. Surprised how fast it moves across the sky.

Yea, very good.

Saw the earlier post of yours about "go to" scopes and although my initial reaction was "great, dead easy" it's not how I want to search. Going to base things from moon focal point.

Think it was only about 20 minutes across this part of earth. Can't wait to see it 

2 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Yea, very good.

Saw the earlier post of yours about "go to" scopes and although my initial reaction was "great, dead easy" it's not how I want to search. Going to base things from moon focal point.

Think it was only about 20 minutes across this part of earth. Can't wait to see it 

Best of luck.  I'm near the Brecon Beacons so little or no light pollution - only prob is getting up those feckin mountains in the dark!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Cheers mate.

And good luck with mountains in the dark.

My problem will be fuckin mosquitos.

Mossies aren't that bad.  I went to Thailand and was only bitten once.....the last Thursday of my holiday....all fucking night!

8 minutes ago, Chr15 said:

Mossies aren't that bad.  I went to Thailand and was only bitten once.....the last Thursday of my holiday....all fucking night!

Really bad here, having a meal a couple of years ago, swarm arrived as we got stuck into a steak. Me and missus got over 20 bites to head.  The only plus is they don't carry disease and if you get the cream on immediately doesn't get too itchy.

Just horrible getting showered to go out and cover yourself in mossy spray.

7 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Really bad here, having a meal a couple of years ago, swarm arrived as we got stuck into a steak. Me and missus got over 20 bites to head.  The only plus is they don't carry disease and if you get the cream on immediately doesn't get too itchy.

Just horrible getting showered to go out and cover yourself in mossy spray.

I used to cover myself in cologne so they never bothered me, but that day we had been out scuba diving and I got bad sunburn on the way back so never bothered with the smellies. That night - eaten alive! 

The girl I was with brought a fucking praying mantis into the chalet and left it on the end of the bed. She said it was her friend as it eats the mossies.  The fuckin thing stared at me as I crossed the room. Fucking big green monster it was. I was shit scared to sleep as I imagined it with a bib round it's neck and a knife and fork in its claws.....just waiting

9 hours ago, Chr15 said:

I used to cover myself in cologne so they never bothered me, but that day we had been out scuba diving and I got bad sunburn on the way back so never bothered with the smellies. That night - eaten alive! 

The girl I was with brought a fucking praying mantis into the chalet and left it on the end of the bed. She said it was her friend as it eats the mossies.  The fuckin thing stared at me as I crossed the room. Fucking big green monster it was. I was shit scared to sleep as I imagined it with a bib round it's neck and a knife and fork in its claws.....just waiting

Ha ha funny as fuck mate.

I'm sure ecologists would tell me different but I can't see the point of things that enjoy human flesh/blood.

We have had a year of wasps, no September die off, just sting ya to look hard.

5 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Ordered the hand held controller from Amazon yesterday. Got to wait until June when family arrive, Covid permitting and all that.

Good luck with it. I'm considering a Celestron atm.  There's one for sale in the local camera shop for £150. Not sure if it includes tripod. Prob does. 

• 2 months later...

So fuckin Covid meant no handheld controller arrived and I should say no Daughters visit which translates to no Asda sausages!

Anyway, an hour of Mars the other night took a big mossy bite hit most noticeable on my shaved head, bastards.

This telescope is hard work without a controller and WiFi connection to the app that keeps disconnecting.

I can however buy an auto align for about £350, no thanks.