You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mobile contracts - cancellation?

Dan Vito Corleone

Not put this on the TNF as I think it's a subject that is more GF orientated.

To cut a long story short, I was on a 2 year contract where I could get a new phone should I wish to every 12 months. I paid a bit more on my contract for this privilege.

However, o2 did not inform me that this was removed in my last renewal. Nobody told me and I obviously signed for the phone which was a 4S. I rang to upgrade last week and was told no. I'd never have signed the contract otherwise.

I have sent an e-mail of complaint but are there any ways I can hold them over a barrel for not telling me about this? I suspect not but I am going to batter them over it as I think they're taking the piss. I don't necessarily want to stay with them, but they offer the best phones (I want a Note 2.)

Is there a way out or am I going to have to try and negotiate?

Not put this on the TNF as I think it's a subject that is more GF orientated.

To cut a long story short, I was on a 2 year contract where I could get a new phone should I wish to every 12 months. I paid a bit more on my contract for this privilege.

However, o2 did not inform me that this was removed in my last renewal. Nobody told me and I obviously signed for the phone which was a 4S. I rang to upgrade last week and was told no. I'd never have signed the contract otherwise.

I have sent an e-mail of complaint but are there any ways I can hold them over a barrel for not telling me about this? I suspect not but I am going to batter them over it as I think they're taking the piss. I don't necessarily want to stay with them, but they offer the best phones (I want a Note 2.)

Is there a way out or am I going to have to try and negotiate?

They probably did down here.

Apparently in the small print they state they can increase your monthly bill.

Although most people, including us think a 2 year contract at £30 a month is what you'll pay for the 2 years they can put it up anytime they like.

What? And are they trying this on you?

Vodafone are cunts. I was on a £35 a month contract with them for a while. After about 7 months they sent me a monthly bill for £76 and I was convinced I hadn't used that much more than my allowance. I phoned up and argued for a while with someone in Cairo that could hardly speak a word of English before finally getting fed up and putting the phone down.

I remembered that I'd used my phone to speak to Sky (not for long enough to cost £40, mind) so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. The next month I was delibrately careful with how much I used my phone but still the next bill came through for £94. I just cancelled my direct debit with them, they can fuck right off. I'm with '3' now and they've been superb, their Price Plan 1 is good value too.

What kind of contract were you on and how far into it did you bail?

I've had no issues with them but this price hike is a bit sly (and between you and me I'm not sure however I ended up on the tariff I'm on....fear of changing a network that seems to have better coverage than most, I guess)

3 are ace. I am on a £15 p/m contract and I get unlimited data, 3 or 5 thousand texts (I forget which) 3k three to three minutes and 200 any network minutes. As I only really call people on 3 anyway its ace.

That sounds like a deal! What's the catch?

What's the coverage like?

That sounds like a deal! What's the catch?

What's the coverage like?

Where I am its great. I've only ever had issues in very rural places. I believe 3 use another network to piggy back on. I've been with them for 2 years now and with the exception of their hard-sell-in-Mumbai call centre they've been great. I think my pack is called Ultimate Internet SIM 200 and its a 1 month rolling contract. Considering I was paying £38+ its a great deal

There's an impartial website where you can check coverage in your area.

What kind of contract were you on and how far into it did you bail?

With Voda it was a 24 month contract, think I jibbed it after about 9-10 months. They gave me a £356 cashback gift for taking the phone off them so I ended up paying nothing really. There was no way I was hanging around to get stiffed on bills like that though, I know people that have had similar experiences with them. I've moved 200 miles away now, let the bastards come and find me!

Like Paulie said, 3 are ace. For £30 a month I got the BB Bold 9900, 3000 minutes to anybody on 3, 2000 minutes to anybody else, unlimited texts and internet. I'm about a year into this contract and haven't got anything bad to say about them. I had a software problem with my phone, they gave me a temporary replacement and had it back to me within a week.