You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lampard's comeuppance pigeons coming home to roost

mars

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10981007/Frank-Lampard-under-fire-from-New-Yorkers-for-911-insensitivity.html

Frank Lampard may receive a less than warm welcome if his expected move to New York City FC goes ahead, after one of the city’s main newspapers reminded readers of his insensitivity following 9/11.

The New York Daily News retold the story of how Lampard was one of four Chelsea players who abused American tourists stranded at Heathrow in the immediate aftermath of the September 11 attacks. Under the headline: “British soccer star poised to join NY team once mocked Americans after 9/11 attacks,” it described how the midfielder and his team-mates “drunkenly stripped, swore and vomited” in front of the upset group.

With a circulation of more than half a million, the tabloid Daily News will be popular with fans of the new MLS franchise. The teamwill play its first season at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. Lampard, 36, is reported to be poised to join the team as soon as this week, although they are not due to begin playing games until March 2015 and he may play for their sister club, Melbourne FC, until then.

Supporters have already taken to fan forums to express disquiet over the signing

One fan, Midas Mulligan, wrote: “He better be down there sweeping the grounds at 1WTC EVERY DAMN DAY, after he publicly apologises to every American for being a s***bag of highest order. Maybe then, and only then, will I consider supporting him.”

Yankeedom added: “If you're old enough to get drunk and abuse American tourists regarding something as tragic as 9/11, hours after it happened, then you are old enough to deserve any ill-will people will have toward you.

“I will never respect him. If he issued an apology and made some sort of donation to a 9/11 charity, then I could forgive him but I will never support him; nor will I forget what he did.

“I can only imagine what might be going through the minds of those who were directly affected by 9/11, to have a man (and I use that term very hesitantly) like Lampard represent an NYC team.”

Lampard and the others involved in the incident were fined by Chelsea at the time. He has said in interviews that he regrets the mistakes he made in the past, but that young men in other walks of life did not receive the same attention for their youthful indiscretions.

The player who was at Chelsea for 13 years, becoming the club’s all-time record goal scorer and winning three Premier League titles, the Champions League, and four FA Cups, is on holiday with his fiancée, the television personality Christine Bleakley. 

Deserves all the stick he gets. 

• Upvote 2

Deserves all the stick he gets.

Rubbish.

Some love to be offended don't they ? And swallow tabloid shit whole.

What exactly did he do and say? Photos? Eye witness accounts?

Or maybe some pissed up British footballers ( who don't need Americans around to vomit) were larging it up in within earshot of yanks?

Gutter journalism is just that, wherever you find it.

• Upvote 5

New York Daily News is Colin Myler's new digs after he got binned off from the News of the World. Thought it seemed a bit 'English', not really the yanks press style.

Wouldn't bother going if I was him, any 9/11 stuff over there is like being a paedo over here, no coming back.

People in England get upset when the flight with ManU players is mentioned or Hillsborough....this is on a waaaay bigger scale. 

I know your papers are very shall we say, sensationalist....but this isn't the firs time I've heard of this and you guys would be furious if Lamps was taking the piss on Hillsborough.

• Downvote 2

Rubbish.Some love to be offended don't they ? And swallow tabloid shit whole.What exactly did he do and say? Photos? Eye witness accounts?Or maybe some pissed up British footballers ( who don't need Americans around to vomit) were larging it up in within earshot of yanks?Gutter journalism is just that, wherever you find it.

Bollocks. He plays for Chelsea.

People in England get upset when the flight with ManU players is mentioned or Hillsborough....this is on a waaaay bigger scale.

I know your papers are very shall we say, sensationalist....but this isn't the firs time I've heard of this and you guys would be furious if Lamps was taking the piss on Hillsborough.

But if he was hammered and spewed up near some people from Liverpool on the day of Hillsborough, would that constitute taking the piss out of it?

The entire point being made is the way it was reported is highly unlikely to be a fair representation of what was said and done, and why.

• Upvote 1

But if he was hammered and spewed up near some people from Liverpool on the day of Hillsborough, would that constitute taking the piss out of it?

The entire point being made is the way it was reported is highly unlikely to be a fair representation of what was said and done, and why.

I don't know.

I expected far more of the usual reactions..."cunt" than the "ah well overreaction"

Of course he knew, Franks really intelligent, every interview, article he puts his fat face on tells you how Franks not your normal footballer, oh no, he's also super de dupa intelligent, he's got O levels and things, he's also a fully paid up member of Mencap.

• Upvote 2

Lampard is easily the least hateable of the Chelsea cunts and getting offended by some drunken footballers because something terrible happened in your country is stupid if that's what happened. Obviously if the people were directly affected by 9/11 and the Chavs were openly taunting them it's another story...

• Upvote 2

No comparison whatsoever though is there? He wasn't mocking 9/11, he was drunk and noisy.

Also, "Lamps". Why??